Two years with the same oil and only driven 2,500 Kms

$20 for a DIY oil and filter change after 3 or 5K. I'm not cheaping out and believing any analysis that tells me 20K or even 10K is ok. Will they warranty my engine after 100K if it burns oil or has low pressure?

Just my preference not a whole lot of people I know go over 6 months with it regardless of mileage.
Short trips is the only thing that would bother me at all about leaving it in. Moisture in the oil from not getting to temperature and possible fuel dilution from many cold starts.

I've got a '97 model in my garage that mostly gets driven when I go on longer trips. It has 41K miles and gets an oil change every 5K miles using conventional 10w40. If I were using it for mainly short trip driving where the engine seldom or never got to full operating temperature I'd probably cut that interval to 3K. I do my own oil changes and don't bother writing down the date or mileage because I know it will due at a number on the odometer divisible by 5. It's probably been 3 years or more since I changed the oil in the '97 and it has between 1-2 miles on the oil. The oils I'm putting in my cars have been sitting on a shelf in my garage for 15-25+ years without hurting anything what's it going to hurt if they sit in the crankcase for a few years.

$20 for a DIY oil and filter change after 3 or 5K. I'm not cheaping out and believing any analysis that tells me 20K or even 10K is ok. Will they warranty my engine after 100K if it burns oil or has low pressure?
We are not talking about your vehicle. We are talking about a 2009 (out of warranty) VW. Your not believing the science?

So you're saying 10,000 to 20,000 miles between oil changes is ok because some test says so? Are they willing to guaranty that and if after 100,000 miles the engine is all sludged up, will they pay for a replacement? Science is fine, the method I question.

That's the craziest thing I've read here in a long time. Heck the Ford Model T had a 1000 mile OCI. You have some strange ideas for a factory trained tech.

The suggestion to get the subject car out for a highway drive every once in a while is spot on no matter whether the oil gets changed or not.
Owners manual my 55 olds said change oil and filter every 500 miles and grease

If it were mine I'd get a UOA and check the condition of the oil, that's the most foolproof method. If that service isn't available, I'd run it for 3K miles. The oil has no clue how long it is in the sump, and a good synthetic, regardless of brand should be able to handle a 3K interval with ease. When you change it cut open the filter and see the condition of it, inspect for tears and media integrity. That would concern me more than the time the oil was in the sump.

Since the oil looks so good, I would run it another year, especially since you are using synthetic.. If you take the car for a good 15-20 mile run once in a while, that should burn off any moisture which might be present. I go 3 years on my infrequently used garage queens with conventional oil. I have had several analysis done and each time I was told I could go longer.

Hello Guys,

My daughter has a 2009 VW Jetta 2.0 with 60,000 kms and since her work is very close to her home she has only driven 2,500 kms in 2 years.

She always use synthetic 5W-40 Valvoline and change the oil every 5,000 Kms

So is been 2 years since she has not change the oil. I removed the oil dipstick and believe or not the oil looks like new.

So whats the advise here? Can she wait until she got to 5,000 Kms

Or what you people suggest?

Thx & Rgds
of course it looks new. Oil sitting in a crankcase is not going to look any different than sitting in a bottle. I'd run it out to your normal OCI, within some reasonable timeframe. I got an oil analysis method for you. Rub it between your thumb and finger. Does it feel slippery? Then it's fine.

of course it looks new. Oil sitting in a crankcase is not going to look any different than sitting in a bottle. I'd run it out to your normal OCI, within some reasonable timeframe. I got an oil analysis method for you. Rub it between your thumb and finger. Does it feel slippery? Then it's fine.
That is a funny analysis method. My boogers sometimes feel slippery when rubbed. Does that mean they're suitable for my engine as well?

Kidding aside, I get what your intentions were with this statement, I'm just curious about it. Can you explain what this would tell you about the oil?

That is a funny analysis method. My boogers sometimes feel slippery when rubbed. Does that mean they're suitable for my engine as well?

Kidding aside, I get what your intentions were with this statement, I'm just curious about it. Can you explain what this would tell you about the oil?
I am just a believer that oil that has so few miles and looks clean probably is fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Engines are surprisingly tough. Some hardly ever get their oil changed. People here are worrywarts for no reason.

Back