Two years with the same oil and only driven 2,500 Kms

Hello Guys,

My daughter has a 2009 VW Jetta 2.0 with 60,000 kms and since her work is very close to her home she has only driven 2,500 kms in 2 years.

She always use synthetic 5W-40 Valvoline and change the oil every 5,000 Kms

So is been 2 years since she has not change the oil. I removed the oil dipstick and believe or not the oil looks like new.

So whats the advise here? Can she wait until she got to 5,000 Kms

Or what you people suggest?

Thx & Rgds

So is been 2 years since she has not change the oil. I removed the oil dipstick and believe or not the oil looks like new.
In reality, other than the standard field visual and olfactory testing- very little in terms of an oils functional condition compared to a baseline can be achieved. ( it does help to show no obvious contamination)

So whats the advise here? Can she wait until she got to 5,000 Kms

Or what you people suggest?

That's really a loaded question. If this is a representative example of her true driving habits annually, I would recommend you do an annual sample ( and assuming nothing flags) then do an automatic change at the recommended interval ( time or mileage)

Most people here say just because oil looks dirty, it doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed. Oil gets dirty normally. In your case it doesn't even LOOK dirty. I'd say check again in 3 month intervals until it reaches 5,000 kms and change then.

I am pretty surprised at the responses here. I expected to hear things like "short trips, horrible for the engine", and "That is SEVERE service, change it immediately"
2 years, it doesn't owe you a dime, and in my opinion, it's time for a change. That oil "looks clean" thing is a double edged sword, it can still be depleted of additives and look fine.
Unless you want to go through the expense of getting an oil analysis done, I'd just change it. In the long run, it may even be cheaper. I will say this, Panama is probably the easiest climate on oil and engines in general, so at least there's that.

It’s time for a change I never go over usually 6 months with mine. I don’t drive but maybe 100 or so miles between changes but when it starts getting dirty I change it. On the cars we drive regularly it’s about once a month because we go about 3000 miles or more a month.

I live in Central America. I am not aware of any company here that does this type of analyses.
If you are interested, ask someone who is in local industry if there is an in country lab.

That being said and all things considered, Occam's Razor does apply here and you would equally be served with just a 2 year change frequency as others have said.

2 years in a crankcase is an adequate time for any auto oil.

It’s time for a change I never go over usually 6 months with mine. I don’t drive but maybe 100 or so miles between changes.
That's the craziest thing I've read here in a long time. Heck the Ford Model T had a 1000 mile OCI. You have some strange ideas for a factory trained tech.

The suggestion to get the subject car out for a highway drive every once in a while is spot on no matter whether the oil gets changed or not.

Señor, por fin, es su coche y ademas tiene once años. Haga lo que quiere. Probablemente el motor no se puede conocer la diferencia. 🚙

Last edited:
That's the craziest thing I've read here in a long time. Heck the Ford Model T had a 1000 mile OCI. You have some strange ideas for a factory trained tech.

The suggestion to get the subject car out for a highway drive every once in a while is spot on no matter whether the oil gets changed or not.
Just my preference not a whole lot of people I know go over 6 months with it regardless of mileage.

Back