Two WiFi networks need to usejust one for internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If I remember correctly the Jetpack and Netgear did not see each other. The add on wifi adapter for the desktop does see both.

So, not being network savvy enough.....

How do I set up two wifi networks one for only internet use and one (Netgear) for peer to peer data sharing?

You don't need to bud, have you not read my posts?

If you are using the WiFi to Ethernet Adapter you mentioned earlier, you simply do the following:

1. Connect the WiFi Adapter to the desktop to configure it.
2. In its setup, connect it to the Verizon wireless
3. Disconnect it from the desktop and connect it to the WAN port of the Netgear router
4. Ensure the Netgear is set to obtain an IP automatically on the WAN side
5. Connect all your wireless devices to the Netgear
6. Wire the desktop directly to the Netgear

All internal traffic is then behind the Netgear, only access to the Internet will go through the Verizon device.
Thanks. It's nice to have a concise list.

Hit the limit this afternoon so only 600kbps speeds. But for the most part this is still better that what I had.

So I need to convert the USB/wifi to a WAN port somehow.

My comments were based on the Ethernet/WiFi adapter you posted earlier. You'll need that, or something similar to do what I've suggested. Essentially you are bridging the Verizon WiFi to the WAN port on the Netgear and making it your internet connection.

Installing third-party firmware on your router would let you do this without buying anything else. But that is considerably more complicated than the little wifi to Ethernet converter.

I ordered one of these. TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Nano Travel ...es (TL-WR802N)

As a bonus to this Jetpack situation the phone still has unlimited data at 4G speeds no matter how much data the Jetpack handles. So now I want the phone NOT to use wifi which is the opposite of what I had when data over the phone was limited due to Verizon plan and my internet was unlimited with my old provider.

I ordered one of these. TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Nano Travel ...es (TL-WR802N)

As a bonus to this Jetpack situation the phone still has unlimited data at 4G speeds no matter how much data the Jetpack handles. So now I want the phone NOT to use wifi which is the opposite of what I had when data over the phone was limited due to Verizon plan and my internet was unlimited with my old provider.

That'll be fine, you'll want it in bridge/client mode. Configure it as I described.

Got the TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi and tried to set it up. Using client mode it is asking for a hard wired connection.

I can set it up as a WiFi receiver but cannot get the Jetpack to register. If I set it up as a wifi repeater it will see the Jetpack and make a new wifi network but that doesn't help.

Got the TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi and tried to set it up. Using client mode it is asking for a hard wired connection.

I can set it up as a WiFi receiver but cannot get the Jetpack to register. If I set it up as a wifi repeater it will see the Jetpack and make a new wifi network but that doesn't help.

You connect it to your computer via ethernet, connect it to the JetPack wireless, make sure it is bridge/client mode. Once that configuration is working, unplug it from the computer and plug it into the WAN port of the Netgear via Ethernet.

The only way i can get it to connect to the netgear is through a switch I have but still no internet.

Configuring the TP link while hardwired to the desktop and then unplugging it and connecting to the router does not work.

The only way i can get it to connect to the netgear is through a switch I have but still no internet.

Configuring the TP link while hardwired to the desktop and then unplugging it and connecting to the router does not work.

When you connect it to the desktop via ethernet, then login to its config page, what do you see? Usually these devices have configurable "modes" and you have to choose the right mode for what I've proposed for this to work. I've done this exact setup in the past, using an ASUS one as a wireless bridge to connect an ethernet-only printer to a wired LAN via WiFi where there was no drop available. It's a workable configuration when setup correctly.

OK, I just did a quick zip through the manual, apparently you need to configure it via the wireless (which is a bit stupid).

1. Connect to its default wireless network using the SSID and passphrase on the bottom of the device.
2. Point your browser on the wireless device to http://tplinkwifi.net/
3. Login using admin/admin
4. Quick Setup should appear, choose CLIENT from the list.
5. You will be presented with a list of available WiFi Networks. Choose the JetPack WiFi provided by your device
6. On the next page it will prompt you for the wireless passphrase for the JetPack network, put that in.
7. On the next page it will ask for the connection type, DHCP is correct.
8. On the next page will be a confirmation of settings and then a Reboot button to apply them. Click this. Let it reboot.
9. Plug your computer into the LAN port and confirm you have internet through it. Once this is confirmed, move the cable to the WAN port on the Netgear. Login to the Netgear and assuming you have the WAN/Internet connection set as DHCP, it should grab an IP address from the JetPack and you should now have Internet through the Netgear.

Success!! But I lost my printer over the wifi.

I had to go into the advanced settings on the Netgear and let it do an auto setup for the Internet.

Got the printer issue resolved.

Now the Jetpack says one device connected and gives me an IP address. Not sure what it is.

Well, the one device connected would be the Netgear via the adapter
wink.gif

This device was recommended after I bought the TP Link. They say the TP Link has issues dropping the connection. I'll keep and eye on it for the next 30 days.

NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender, Essentials Edition (EX2700)

That device does not appear to do Bridge/Client mode, so it would not work properly for this scenario. I recommended an ASUS one early on in the thread that would be a viable alternative to the Toilet Paper Link you purchased
wink.gif

I got a Netgear WiFi extender EX2700 for Christmas and replaced the TP-Link one. The Tp-Link one was dropping the connection from the jetpack to the router quite frequently. Netgear I have noticed it dropped at all.

I got a Netgear WiFi extender EX2700 for Christmas and replaced the TP-Link one. The Tp-Link one was dropping the connection from the jetpack to the router quite frequently. Netgear I have noticed it dropped at all.

Good to hear!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back