Two Fram Ultras for our application? Machinists help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a dilemma -- planning to go with the Ultra as it is an absolute BEAR to reach the oil filter on our 2008 Jeep Liberty and changing less frequently will be a happy situation.

Note on the page linked below that there's two different Ultra filters.... A metric 22mm thread and an English 3/4" thread. Any machinists here that can say if they are interchangeable or not? From some (admittedly brief) reading online it appears not, so I'm thinking of taking a filter that fits to the hardware store, and find a "template bolt" that I can test on an Ultra to make sure to get the right one.

Any other smart ideas for making sure it's the right fit? Test fitting it on the vehicle is NOT an option due to the difficult location. (and the YouTube videos show the wrong vehicle, the configuration was changed sometime during the model year)

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/?...T1IDUA2AAgGYAdAHZademAAWLXgBF07UgCoQAXSA

Commentary/speculation/expertise/criticism appreciated--

There is about 3mm difference in diameter, pretty easy to tell. Is there a Jeep dealer site that you can plug in the vin? You could take a used or new filter to a hardware store and try to fit 3/4 in bolts and don't have to buy anything.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Any other smart ideas for making sure it's the right fit?

Yeah, a look-up says the filter thread is 22mm x 1.5mm.or a 3/4 x 16.

2008 Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L.
https://www.fram.com/parts-search/?...T1IDUA2AAgGYAdAHZademAAWLXgBF07UgCoQAXSA

Just measure the diameter of the threaded mounting spud or the hole on a filter that was once mounted to your engine. Big enough difference to easily verify by measurement (0.750 vs 0.866 inch).

Thanks everyone, based on the responses, I think/i] it is the 3/4". Will check @ hardware store.

Originally Posted by MParr
They ARE NOT interchangeable. Don't try to over complicate things, just buy the correct filters.

That's the issue - until thinking about it I wasn't sure which FU was the correct one.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If you want a larger filter a 3600,PH16,PH43 and Ph8a will work if you have room.

Thanks, but not what I was after. We're talking stock size here, and the threads are different between the two.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Thanks everyone, based on the responses, I think/i] it is the 3/4". Will check @ hardware store.

Originally Posted by MParr
They ARE NOT interchangeable. Don't try to over complicate things, just buy the correct filters.

That's the issue - until thinking about it I wasn't sure which FU was the correct one.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If you want a larger filter a 3600,PH16,PH43 and Ph8a will work if you have room.

Thanks, but not what I was after. We're talking stock size here, and the threads are different between the two.

Autozone.com shows the 3614 as your filter. The others I linked will work if you have room.

Last edited:
Surprised I'm the first to mention this-what filter is on it now? Another possible trick would be to take your VIN to a Jeep/Dodge dealer & ask them what it should have!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Surprised I'm the first to mention this-what filter is on it now? Another possible trick would be to take your VIN to a Jeep/Dodge dealer & ask them what it should have!

Amsoil filter one choice online....and Wix has only once choice also.

Chrysler has used 3/4-16 filters for eons. That's the correct thread size for your application. Only vehicles I've ever come across that use a 22mm thread filter were Fords.

2008 Jeep Liberty's use a Fram 3600 or equivalent, 3/4-16 thread...

2009 and up Jeep Liberty's use a Fram 10060, M22 X 1.5...

The question is, when did they make the change?

End of year, or mid year?

I have an 08 Liberty and don't have any issues changing the oil filter. A cap wrench and a long 3/8" extension makes it an easy job. Loosen the filter and let the oil drain from the mounting area into the funnel that's mounted there and you're GTG. Having said that the Ultra XG3600 is a great choice, that's what I'm using.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Only vehicles I've ever come across that use a 22mm thread filter were Fords.

Guess what?

Dodge Hemis and LS-engines in Chevys are all 22mm now!!!

Originally Posted by oldhp
What's the filter number that's on it now??? Take it off and go to your favorite auto parts store. Done.

^this
Or buy both sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Chrysler has used 3/4-16 filters for eons. That's the correct thread size for your application. Only vehicles I've ever come across that use a 22mm thread filter were Fords.
I ran into this back int he 90's with Taurus and then replacing them with Hyundais. But a 22mm filter will screw onto a 3/4-16 mount. Fits loose though.. The 3/4-16 will not thread onto the 22mm mount.

I put a Ford oil filter/heat exchanger on my Hyundai. The center mounting tube were both 22mm so it fit right on. Too thick though for the OE sized filter which hung too low. But the Ford oil mount was 3/4-16 thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back