Wrong oil filter in a Kohler CH20 v-twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today marks the second time I've seen one of our welding machines at work with the wrong oil filter installed. These are gas-powered Miller/Lincoln units, but all our gas models use a Kohler V-Twin of some variant, a Kohler Command Pro CH18/20/22. They take a PH3614 (in Fram terms) filter with a 3/4 thread.

The fact that the product literature only references a Kohler oil filter number, seems to befuddle our purchasing guy. Thus he tells the operators just to give him the part number that's currently on the welder-- you can see how that can exacerbate the wrong-oil-filter dilemma. This issue arises because we also have a diesel fleet of welding machines, which use Kubota D722 engines (inline 3 cyl.) The Kubutas run a typical Japanese-spec filter (all my Honda and Nissan vehicles ran the same filter) a PH7317 or PH3593A both fit.

You can install a PH7317 or PH3593A type filter, and only that type on the diesel models, as they have a 20x1.5 thread (someone correct me if I'm wrong). However. on the gas models, it accepts both a PH3614 (correct filter) and the larger thread metric PH7317/PH3593A. They have been using the larger filter on the gas engines. When I noticed the first I immediately replaced the filter for the correct one. Indeed the metric thread filter DOES fit the 3/4 adapter on the gas machines; it's loose as all get-out (the operators are far from mechanics) but does tighten up.

These two machines in question only have 700 hours on them and have likely been run using the wrong filter since the first oil change. The guys have the attitude that if it fits and works, all is well. I showed our purchasing guy the difference in the play while installing each filter, and hope I squashed this problem. Any adverse affects in using a filter whose threads don't really fit? In my mind, the threads won't seal, and will cause oil to bypass the input to the output without being filtered. Curious if anyone has come across this before or your thoughts on the topic...

Over time they would likely hore out the threads and they wouldn't tighten anymore.
There mightve been some bypass, but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Some of these small V-Twins end up on mowers and many of them just have a bypass cap in place of the filter
Anyway to make it so one person is trained and responsible for the maintenance on all the machines? As this just sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
Otherwise, go around to all of them with a paint pen, and write on the inside of the door where the filter is located the correct filter number.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
..... However. on the gas models, it accepts both a PH3614 (correct filter) and the larger thread metric PH7317/PH3593A. They have been using the larger filter on the gas engines. When I noticed the first I immediately replaced the filter for the correct one. Indeed the metric thread filter DOES fit the 3/4 adapter on the gas machines; it's loose as all get-out (the operators are far from mechanics) but does tighten up.....

As you note the one with the gas spec PH3614 is an SAE thread pitch and the 7317/3593A are metric. While the latter may screw on tight enough for now, they are wrong. I suspect because the OPE engines don't develop much oil pressure they've gotten away with it thus far.

Just had a similar type incident reported on oil filter board where incorrect thread pitch installed by quick lube, also screwed on and tightened down. After some driving and it got cold outside, sealing gasket blew out ruining engine. Now getting a used engine on the big box store quick lube's dime.

So, you are right to replace the filters. The "guys" need to stay away from replacing the oil filters if they have the good enough attitude.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Otherwise, go around to all of them with a paint pen, and write on the inside of the door where the filter is located the correct filter number.

I did that 2-3 years ago, in fact I used to be the guy that purchased parts for the welders (I quit and came back without that responsibility [and others that I'm grateful for]. I wrote PH3600 (the larger PH3614) on the service doors of the machines. I used to buy Motorcraft FL-400S (the PH3600 equiv) as it's a great filter and easily fits. Knowing they sometimes have 2-3-4x the recommended drain interval, a larger filter wasn't a bad idea.

After I quit, someone must've said, "these filters look too big and have a Ford emblem on them" and proceeded to do their own thing, which involved interchanging different sized Fram/Wix/O'Reilly filters, whatever fit the machine.

....And if you make noise, what will happen?

Have you made any friends "upstairs" into who's ear you can whisper?

Is your place of work one which is filled with malcontents who'd gladly abuse equipment? Kira

Such a simple filter to X-ref too. PH3600 or even some PH8A equivalents will fit. On some PH8As, the gasket overlaps the filter base just a hair. Too close for comfort there IMO.

Hard to believe those mis-matched thread filters are hanging on tight enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back