twin-turbo pickup truck issues?

I saw are local dealers has Tundras sitting there for a while I believe. Trying to sell them. Thinking to get one. Most known Toyota try’s to strive for reliability, and keeping their tech on behind. The I-Force Max is definitely using proven batteries whereas the Ford PowerBoost is using a proven engine. PowerBoost does get better MPGs on paper and in real world from what I seen.

the 3.5TT is cranking out a lot of torque. big torque and small (or only 6 instead of 8 or 10) bearings means the bearings are suffering a little bit

the 3.5TT is cranking out a lot of torque. big torque and small (or only 6 instead of 8 or 10) bearings means the bearings are suffering a little bit

It's a matter of properly designing the engine. If bearings are failing, it's because the design is flawed. There are 6 cylinder engines making FAR more power than these little turbocharged gas engines in pickups.

That is not an issue. A lot of six-cyl engines make more power from less displacement. It is an engineering issue.

That is not an issue. A lot of six-cyl engines make more power from less displacement. It is an engineering issue.
Its similar to a racing engine, only these are running every day and not getting ripped apart after every race to replace the over stressed parts. If they wish to use a small displacement engine then no power boosters, or tune. It will be for the good the owners won't get speeding tickets. They all can have the power of a good old VW Beetle, you know pushing 50HP, but they will have years of trouble free operation that is if the moving parts are made of something that will last. :unsure:

Its similar to a racing engine, only these are running every day and not getting ripped apart after every race to replace the over stressed parts. If they wish to use a small displacement engine then no power boosters, or tune. It will be for the good the owners won't get speeding tickets. They all can have the power of a good old VW Beetle, you know pushing 50HP, but they will have years of trouble free operation that is if the moving parts are made of something that will last. :unsure:
I have no idea what you just said.

I have no idea what you just said.
I explained why it is an issue. Simple !
Most all these small over loaded automotive engines are so improperly designed for the kind of power that is demanded from them.
There is a reason why they have problems with all makes or manufactures now.

yes, they used bearings that are too small or improperly oiled. it is an engineering issue

BMW engines tend to be overbuilt, some of their high performance gasoline engines use the same block and crankshaft as their diesels and are capable of 600hp easily. Toyotas are usually just underpowered so they cant hurt themselves, which is a great design for a non performance SUV or minivan

yes, they used bearings that are too small or improperly oiled. it is an engineering issue

BMW engines tend to be overbuilt, some of their high performance gasoline engines use the same block and crankshaft as their diesels and are capable of 600hp easily. Toyotas are usually just underpowered so they cant hurt themselves, which is a great design for a non performance SUV or minivan
B58 currently stands, I think, at 1100hp on OE internals.
Toyota had similar issues with diesel engines 20+ years ago. That is what made them buy diesel from BMW in Europe.

I have a Ford Nano 3.0TT in my Explorer ST. I am more worried about the valves coaking than the turbos.

This is my 6th turbo vehicle and I have never replaced a turbo unless it was for more power. Change your oil early, give it the old italian tune up now and then.

Agree on engineering.

IME, the 2.7L eco in my ford is one of its finest attributes. Towing with it is a dream. I can’t recall what the block was formed from, but towing a camper up steep grades was an extremely low-drama affair. If the drive was mountainous, the worst part of it was hours of turbo whine, which can get into your head like a dental drill. With a tall trailer, the turbos are working on level ground above 40mph. In a climb at 50, they are the life of the party. The thing is, while under high boost, the tone of the engine never changed. It never shook. It never started to feel loose or add new sounds. It simply pulled.

With other tow vehicles, I could feel the engine characteristic change, and the timbre of the sound would change, under continued climbing load. The 2.7 eco didn’t do that.

I’m pretty sure I popped the hood at the top of one climb and it almost looked like both turbos were ever so slightly starting to glow. There was a lot of heat in there. All that to say, though, if metal was starting to flex, be it the block or crankshaft, the vibration character of the engine would also vary, ever so slightly. Didn’t get that with the EB.

Differential whine, however, started at 45k miles. Not everything about the truck has been stellar. Diff got fresh fluid at 30k. Our camper was 4500 loaded, well within tow spec. The engine, however, is wonderful.

Agree on engineering.

IME, the 2.7L eco in my ford is one of its finest attributes. Towing with it is a dream. I can’t recall what the block was formed from, but towing a camper up steep grades was an extremely low-drama affair. If the drive was mountainous, the worst part of it was hours of turbo whine, which can get into your head like a dental drill. With a tall trailer, the turbos are working on level ground above 40mph. In a climb at 50, they are the life of the party. The thing is, while under high boost, the tone of the engine never changed. It never shook. It never started to feel loose or add new sounds. It simply pulled.

With other tow vehicles, I could feel the engine characteristic change, and the timbre of the sound would change, under continued climbing load. The 2.7 eco didn’t do that.

I’m pretty sure I popped the hood at the top of one climb and it almost looked like both turbos were ever so slightly starting to glow. There was a lot of heat in there. All that to say, though, if metal was starting to flex, be it the block or crankshaft, the vibration character of the engine would also vary, ever so slightly. Didn’t get that with the EB.

Differential whine, however, started at 45k miles. Not everything about the truck has been stellar. Diff got fresh fluid at 30k. Our camper was 4500 loaded, well within tow spec. The engine, however, is wonderful.

I think what a lot of people misunderstand when it comes to turbos vs NA, is that RPMs aren't the only indication of "working hard". Kind of like "out of sight out of mind", the turbo engines don't sound like they're getting stressed out towing up a hill, but make no mistake they definitely are, possibly far worse than a big NA.

So people use words like "drama" and "stress free", but those are words describing how we perceive the engine to be doing. That's not necessarily the same thing as whats actually happening to the engine. "drama free"? Not for the engine I'll tell you that.

All that heat in a small block under intense compression and boost/pressure, I know they do design with that in mind, but still. I have to think a big v8 is actually getting stressed less even though its revving higher.

As a side note, I find it interesting how guys in sports cars love the v8, love hearing it wind up, pay extra to get that intense sound, but for some reason many guys in trucks think its a bad thing hearing a v8 working up a hill and find the turbo "drama free". I absolutely love the sound of my engine towing up a grade, hearing it bite and then settle in at 3500+ rpms. I'm probably a little odd.

I think what a lot of people misunderstand when it comes to turbos vs NA, is that RPMs aren't the only indication of "working hard". Kind of like "out of sight out of mind", the turbo engines don't sound like they're getting stressed out towing up a hill, but make no mistake they definitely are, possibly far worse than a big NA.

So people use words like "drama" and "stress free", but those are words describing how we perceive the engine to be doing. That's not necessarily the same thing as whats actually happening to the engine. "drama free"? Not for the engine I'll tell you that.

All that heat in a small block under intense compression and boost/pressure, I know they do design with that in mind, but still. I have to think a big v8 is actually getting stressed less even though its revving higher.

As a side note, I find it interesting how guys in sports cars love the v8, love hearing it wind up, pay extra to get that intense sound, but for some reason many guys in trucks think its a bad thing hearing a v8 working up a hill and find the turbo "drama free". I absolutely love the sound of my engine towing up a grade, hearing it bite and then settle in at 3500+ rpms. I'm probably a little odd.
i agree, that turbo whistle means you're dumping way more air and fuel trough your engine than you could on any n/a engine. more air and more fuel makes more heat.

I've always believed in downshifting for a hill if you have to use more than half throttle. if you let the engine run faster under less boost, you get less egts, more oil pressure (depending on oil pump design) more coolant flow and fan speed (if they aren't electric fans and pumps) and less chance of pre ignition although with modern sensors the computer should take care of that.

oh and less heat under the hood will help all the plastic crap last longer

Back