TW Cable renewal time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is that time again for Time Warner renewal and I know they will be wanting a increase. What has anyone had luck with in getting no increase in their bills. I have phone, internet, and cable. Have 1DVR box and am paying 166.00 monthly.
Has anyone tried AT&T with Dish, phone, and internet? Is the internet speeds OK? My twc internet is their minimum speed and is ok for our use. I do work from home some and it requires descent speed. Would like to hear others success in dealing with this issue. Wifey wants to keep some type of cable tv since we do not go to the movies often.

My best friends mom works for twc. We pay $180 month for the fastest Internet they have and 3 dvr boxes with almost all the channels. TWC is a good service and never have a prob with them.

Last edited:
Playstation VUE streaming, and you can DVR from the cloud for 28 days. It costs me $29.99 a month. You could choose Ooma Telo for phone service, and then what ever net service.

Originally Posted By: racer44
It is that time again for Time Warner renawl and I know they will be wanting a increase. What has anyone had luck with in getting no increase in their bills. I have phone, internet, and cable. Have 1DVR box and am paying 166.00 monthly.
Has anyone tried AT&T with Dish, phone, and internet? Is the internet speeds OK? My twc internet is there minimum speed and is ok for our use. I do work from home some and it requires descent speed. Would like to hear others success in dealing with this issue. Wifey wants to keep some type of cable tv since we do not go to the movies often.

Wow you registered here in 2005 and have 1 post. Is that a mistake?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
It is that time again for Time Warner renawl and I know they will be wanting a increase. What has anyone had luck with in getting no increase in their bills. I have phone, internet, and cable. Have 1DVR box and am paying 166.00 monthly.
Has anyone tried AT&T with Dish, phone, and internet? Is the internet speeds OK? My twc internet is there minimum speed and is ok for our use. I do work from home some and it requires descent speed. Would like to hear others success in dealing with this issue. Wifey wants to keep some type of cable tv since we do not go to the movies often.

Wow you registered here in 2005 and have 1 post. Is that a mistake?

I have ComCast and my bill is $187.00 month. I'm tired of the (seemingly) constant price increases, the contract that locks you in (but allows them to raise prices on your equipment). I am a member of a "cordcutters" FB group and have been doing my homework. You are in an area with excellent over-the air reception which will require a $50.00 antenna. Anything you use a DVR for can probably be found on Sling, or the Playstation VUE streaming service-with HULU or Amazon Prime for your movies. Check all this out before you "reup" for the cable game. BTW-you can use OOMA for your phone service and your bill will be $4.00/month. (http://www.ooma.com/)

I plan to "cut the cord" in the spring.

Last edited:

You call up and threaten to cancel. We have digital cable and they want to jump it from $60 to $85 every year. By the time I get done, cost is back to about where I started. They will either find you a promotional rate for a specific period of time, or will eat the difference for a year. I have to call every February.
This year should be fun. WOW! cable is coming to town, so now there will be local competition.

Every 2 years or-so, you should be jumping to another provider. That's how to avoid bills of $180. I pay $135 and nine months ago I warned WOW that if they raise me another dime, I'm moving to either Comcast or XFinity.

I expect an increase in the next month or two. But I'll never pay any of these providers more than $135 for mid-level Triple Play. So I'll eventually get something like XFinity for around $110. then see an increase of $20/$25 or-so into the third year -- then jump to another competitor when they announce I must pay beyond $130. That's when you should be cutting the cord and going elsewhere for cable, satellite.... whatever.

Never stay with the same provider for too long. That's why you have $180 cable bills.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Every 2 years or-so, you should be jumping to another provider. That's how to avoid bills of $180. I pay $135 and nine months ago I warned WOW that if they raise me another dime, I'm moving to either Comcast or XFinity.

You're very lucky to have choices! For high speed internet, I have one choice, TWC. No other cable TV providers either aside from satellite. To make matters worse, I can't get cell service at my home w/out internet.

Satellite then, or cut all cords except internet. With a vast majority of these companies, I think you only need to be off their grid for 30-60 days, to qualify again for low rates, similar to new customer rates.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

You call up and threaten to cancel. We have digital cable and they want to jump it from $60 to $85 every year. By the time I get done, cost is back to about where I started. They will either find you a promotional rate for a specific period of time, or will eat the difference for a year. I have to call every February.
This year should be fun. WOW! cable is coming to town, so now there will be local competition.

Those threats generally don't work any more. Not saying it won't.

Originally Posted By: Al

Won't work in my area-there is no competition for high speed Internet.

Internet: $19.99/month Frontier DSL
landline: ~$2/month from ANVEO
TV: Free/OTA HD TV from external antenna/rotor system.

If I want to watch a movie I have Amazon prime which works great on my Roku.

Being free from any commitment to a provider is a necessary tool. Research new customer deals for competitors and use them. I end up having to "negotiate" with AT&T frequently and all but one time it's worked. Just be willing to leave if you don't get what you want. Some providers consider you a "new customer" after only 60 days away (and some it's 90 days), so even then you'd only be switched for a couple of months. To me, your price is about $66 too high.

I'm at 30Mbps through U-Verse and it's plenty. Last renewal I ended up at $30/mth with new equipment for free.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
Being free from any commitment to a provider is a necessary tool. Research new customer deals for competitors and use them. I end up having to "negotiate" with AT&T frequently and all but one time it's worked. Just be willing to leave if you don't get what you want. Some providers consider you a "new customer" after only 60 days away (and some it's 90 days), so even then you'd only be switched for a couple of months. To me, your price is about $66 too high.

I'm at 30Mbps through U-Verse and it's plenty. Last renewal I ended up at $30/mth with new equipment for free.

How long is the contract.... six months or one year. Longer than one year?

Most-all want Double Play or Triple Play contracts. We cannot be absent of all three for 60-90 days and if we want good internet-only for those 60-90 days, the contracts to get internet-only are usually for six months or one year.

So none of us want to pay two providers, when we finally get the green light to be eligible as a new customer with our 'old'cable company again. Then, we would be forced to downsize from Triple Play to Double Play and those contracts are not as wallet valued as Triple Play.

So really, if you going to cut the cable line, do it for at least six months or one year, depending on the new internet-only contract length. I MUST HAVE internet in my home. Otherwise I'd go crazy watching free TV stations-only, with no internet availability.

If someone held a gun to my head and told me I could only pick (1).... (internet/landline/cable TV), it would be Internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

They have worked for the last four years. All they essentially do is attach you to a promo rate for a given period of time. Will update next month to see if it works again.

It is that time again for Time Warner renewal and I know they will be wanting a increase. What has anyone had luck with in getting no increase in their bills. I have phone, internet, and cable. Have 1DVR box and am paying 166.00 monthly.
Has anyone tried AT&T with Dish, phone, and internet? Is the internet speeds OK? My twc internet is their minimum speed and is ok for our use. I do work from home some and it requires descent speed. Would like to hear others success in dealing with this issue. Wifey wants to keep some type of cable tv since we do not go to the movies often.

Yep we seen that first $166 bill and decided to ditch it.

Needed to stay with Time Warner for Internet, as ATT has data caps around here and terrible speed.

So, they would not give us a promo rate for internet, they charge $59.99 for 100MBS. I am toying with the idea of going to their 50MB plan, I will see if I can make that work.

I pay $25 per month for Sling TV, we have two roku devices. I put up two antennas and get all the local channels.

I pay $4.25 per month for basic OOMA phone.

Two years ago we had directv satellite, it was not reliable for us, and they raise the rates after the promo expires also, too much money.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

How long is the contract.... six months or one year. Longer than one year?

Most-all want Double Play or Triple Play contracts. We cannot be absent of all three for 60-90 days and if we want good internet-only for those 60-90 days, the contracts to get internet-only are usually for six months or one year.

So none of us want to pay two providers, when we finally get the green light to be eligible as a new customer with our 'old'cable company again. Then, we would be forced to downsize from Triple Play to Double Play and those contracts are not as wallet valued as Triple Play.

So really, if you going to cut the cable line, do it for at least six months or one year, depending on the new internet-only contract length. I MUST HAVE internet in my home. Otherwise I'd go crazy watching free TV stations-only, with no internet availability.

If someone held a gun to my head and told me I could only pick (1).... (internet/landline/cable TV), it would be Internet.

There is no contract. They used to renew me year to year with a commitment, but the last promo code is attached forever (actually December 2099).

A couple of years back, I ended up unsuccessful with reducing my DTV/U-Verse bill so I tried a combo deal with Comcast and it was way too expensive (leasing fees), and I never used the phone. After 90 days I became a "new" DTV customer and got a new dish, equipment, and a nice price. That just recently expired, so I'll probably have to go at it again soon.

I have two options for internet and that makes things easy. I really don't care which cable it enters the house in. I'm truly willing to cancel and have before. Until I can convince other voting members of the family to ditch the TV service, that's the way it's going to be.

I have had no issues getting TWC to give me promotional rates every year by calling them, being friendly, and not threatening them at all. I just ask about cutting back services to save money and they always come through with another promotion.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I have had no issues getting TWC to give me promotional rates every year by calling them, being friendly, and not threatening them at all. I just ask about cutting back services to save money and they always come through with another promotion.

How much is your bottom-line monthly payment and please outline if it's Triple Play - Double Play.....etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back