Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A vs Denon AVR-X2800H AV receiver

Just bought a new TV and it doesn't seem to play well using optical/TOSlink to feed my 10+ year old receiver which has no HDMI inputs. It will detect a Dolby Digital 5.1 input, but from Netflix and some other modern streaming services, it cuts in and out constantly. It's not a bandwidth/internet issue, I have 1G fiber. I've tried a few different TOSlink cables. Oddly Amazon Prime Video works fine in Dolby Digital. I'm at the point where I'm sorta glad it's giving me trouble as a newer receiver is WAY overdue.

Budget is somewhere around $1K (don't really want to spend more than that unless the juice is worth the squeeze). I have my eye on the Yamaha RX-A2A and Denon AVR-X2800H.

From what ever brand, I need something from their 2022 lineup as this TV is 4K/120hz refresh so it has to have HDMI 2.1. Some 2021 models have HDMI 2.1, but I've read many don't work right and will not pass a 120hz signal. Other than that, I just want the normal bells and whistles-- bluetooth, Airplay, Wi-Fi, etc.

Anyone have experience with these models or know of an alternative that checks all the boxes that I'm not aware of?

Thanks, I just put that Yamaha on my list, in case my old one craps out. If I recall correctly, Yamaha has better amp but the Denon has better room correction. Good luck, you are going to love having hdmi. ARC is magical.

I ended up going with a Yamaha RX-A4A, which has full featured HDMI 2.1 ports (the Denon also has them).

The RX-A2A has lower bandwidth HDMI ports and uses some sort of lossless compression magic to fit a 4K/120hz or 8K/60hz signal through the limited bandwidth. That sounded like a recipe for compatibility issues in the future, so the RX-A2A was off the list.

Narrowed it down to the Denon AVR-X2800H or the RX-A4A. I found a factory refurbished model for both, $899 and $999 respectively. Accessories4less.com sells the factory refurbished models and throws in a 3 year extended warranty for free, so it saved me $300-400+ off the new price. Both had comparable features, but the Yamaha has more amplifier power (110W vs 95 for the Denon). The Yamaha weighs 35lb, the Denon 22lb. I figure that weight has to be used somewhere, probably in beefier heatsinks or amplifier section. Hope I didn't make a bad choice, but I suspect either would have been fine.

Im partial to Yamaha, just because of decades long history of efficient power amps being able to deliver robust current at reasonable cost. Whether that still is the case I dont know but our current now older less expensive Yamaha AV receiver still can shake the walls in our house.
There is just one complaint I personally have with their new receivers is I hate the tiny display window, not sure if I could get over that and the Denon would be head to head because of it.
Nice point about the weight, heat sinks aluminum most likely the power supply/transformer that is robust and hence back to my first sentence.

I like the Yamaha's. The networking is solid and the MusicCast works great for streaming music. You can also get MusicCast speakers to use in other parts of your house that can stream their own music or link to what your receiver is playing. They can be integrated into a home control system in the future easily as well.

I just have to ask what are you powering with this unit
I have KLH 3-way tower speakers for L&R channels, and Polk center channel and surrounds. Nothing fancy. I'm going to have to read up on Dolby Atmos and the newer surround tech to see what else I have to do in the way of speakers.

Last edited:
I have KLH 3-way tower speakers for L&R channels, and Polk center channel and surrounds. Nothing fancy. I'm going to have to read up on Dolby Atmos and the newer surround tech to see what else I have to do in the way of speakers.
In short: if you can easily put holes in your ceiling for Atmos speakers, do it. If not, settle for up firing and you'll still enjoy it.

I just bought a Denon AVR-S570BT surround sound receiver. It replaced an older Denon receiver because it couldn't handle enhanced audio return channel data rate.

What sub you run

The Yamaha RX-A4A arrived today. First impressions I got within 60 minutes of playing with it is that it's junk.

Tuner is garbage-- I have an amplified FM antenna that on my previous receiver would tune in nearly all Louisville stations no problem. With this Yamaha, I can only get very close local stations in Elizabethtown and they cut in and out. I even tried the included standard antenna, it's worse.

The UI is like a time warp back to 1999. It's supposedly 1080P output (the receiver interface) but looks like 480i.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get subwoofer to output on tuner and bluetooth input. I configured all the appropriate speaker settings for my setup. If I enable the AI surround thing, I get center channel along with the fronts, but no subwoofer. Even though my fronts have a 12" driver with passive radiator, I get nearly all midrange and treble, very little bass. It's been a frustrating experience so far.

I'm still messing with it and need to update the firmware. For some unknown reason, it won't update through Wi-Fi (maybe by design?); I have to download it to a USB stick on my computer and update it that way.

The remote is awful and not ergonomic at all. I have to constantly look down at the remote to see which button I'm pressing, and my hands / fingers have gotten quite the workout given the amount of pressure it takes to activate the buttons.

I have more futzing around with it to do, but my suspicion is that this thing is going to have to go back. For a $1000 receiver (most places sell it new for $1600) these issues are completely unacceptable.

The Yamaha RX-A4A arrived today. First impressions I got within 60 minutes of playing with it is that it's junk.

Tuner is garbage-- I have an amplified FM antenna that on my previous receiver would tune in nearly all Louisville stations no problem. With this Yamaha, I can only get very close local stations in Elizabethtown and they cut in and out. I even tried the included standard antenna, it's worse.

The UI is like a time warp back to 1999. It's supposedly 1080P output (the receiver interface) but looks like 480i.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get subwoofer to output on tuner and bluetooth input. I configured all the appropriate speaker settings for my setup. If I enable the AI surround thing, I get center channel along with the fronts, but no subwoofer. Even though my fronts have a 12" driver with passive radiator, I get nearly all midrange and treble, very little bass. It's been a frustrating experience so far.

I'm still messing with it and need to update the firmware. For some unknown reason, it won't update through Wi-Fi (maybe by design?); I have to download it to a USB stick on my computer and update it that way.

The remote is awful and not ergonomic at all. I have to constantly look down at the remote to see which button I'm pressing, and my hands / fingers have gotten quite the workout given the amount of pressure it takes to activate the buttons.

I have more futzing around with it to do, but my suspicion is that this thing is going to have to go back. For a $1000 receiver (most places sell it new for $1600) these issues are completely unacceptable.
There is an app that may help for setup.

Thank you so much for this honest assessment, you should be having a premium experience in this price range. I know I wouldn’t put up with it, for me personally. I know I am a perfectionist though.

I've had about 10 hours into setting this thing up, and my experience has not gotten much better. This was supposed to be fun, but it's really become a chore.

FM radio station tuning has gotten better with careful antenna placement, but I still can't get all the Louisville stations I used to on my old Sony receiver, with the same antenna. The OSD shows tuner function on the TV, but for the life of me I can't figure out WHY???? on Earth Yamaha couldn't display the frequency on the TV/OSD. Instead you have to walk over and squint at the little tiny display on the front when you change the tuner. What an awful oversight.

WAY too many preset DSP surround modes most of which are garbage and sound artificial. I'm talking 15+ (choir, studio hall, New York studio hall, Los Angeles Studio Hall, Brisbane studio hall, etc.) but luckily you can hide them, so you can scroll through just the useful ones (like direct, surround decode, 2-channel, all-channel mix, etc.). I think Yamaha put half their development time into this, which is something I won't ever use. Their engineers/designers need to study up on the KISS principle.

When listening to 2-channel sources like tuner, PCM output from a PC (like my MP3 library) you have basically two options: stereo which omits the subwoofer channel, or all-channel which mixes the audio into all speakers-- right now I have a 5.1 setup. I don't like the surround speakers to play in this scenario, sometimes I just want to blast sound out the front door while I'm washing the car or something. And even inside the house, the surround speakers just muddy the sound if you happen to be in another room. Why can't I choose 2-channel or 3-channel (fronts and center) and have the subwoofer involved? Even though I have decent sized front floor speakers, there's no substitute for output from the sub. This has me pulling my hair out.

Variable refresh rate simply does not work. This is half the reason I opted for a higher end ($$) unit was to get HDMI 2.1 / 4k120 / VRR. If I plug my media center PC straight into the TV via HDMI, AMD Radeon software gives you the option to enable Freesync and it works fine. If I plug it into the receiver then output to the TV from there, the function is greyed out. I have hours into studying this and trying different HDMI ports (as well as verifying TV settings) and it simply doesn't work. I'm using higher end HDMI w/ ethernet (Ultra speed) cables which work fine when the receiver is not involved. I have a hunch Yamaha just provided support for the Xbox / PS5 which are the most popular / widely supported devices that feature Freesync / VRR.

UI / settings menu is extremely cumbersome and not polished at all. My opinion on the remote hasn't changed. The only thing nice about it is that it is backlit, but then again it would be impossible to use the remote in the dark without it.

I was able to update the firmware via USB. That didn't change much other than enabling HDMI 2.1 support, but still didn't fix the Freesync issue. The Network update function didn't work at all, even directly wired via ethernet to the router.

Ordinarily if this were an Amazon purchase I would have boxed it up hours ago and had it waiting for the UPS guy to come pick it up. I bought from A4L which has a terrible return policy which involves reimbursing them for shipping, out of pocket for shipping it back, and a restocking fee. I won't make that mistake again on an expensive item like this, the $150 saved is not worth it. So I'm stuck looking for excuses to keep it, but that's a bad situation to be in.

Thank you so much for this honest assessment, you should be having a premium experience in this price range. I know I wouldn’t put up with it, for me personally. I know I am a perfectionist though.
I sort of am a perfectionist too, and perhaps my expectations are too high-- but at a $1K price tag, it should deliver even if I had to deal with a few gripes.

What this experience has taught me and confirmed my own suspicions:

AV Receivers are a dying breed, not as much demand, so manufacturers are recycling old products with new tech (HDMI 2.1, etc) putting lipstick on it, hiring an awesome marketing crew that can tout the new features, and sell it at top dollar. Do a mild refresh each year, sell for more money; honestly probably all they can do to stay alive. Only a few brands left, and many are consolidated --> Denon = Marantz for example. I don't even know where Onkyo is right now, they've changed hands and filed for bankruptcy so many times now.

I'll probably keep this one because for movies and utilizing my surround to the fullest, it's spot on. And it would be too expensive to send back and take a gamble on another brand receiver.

It makes my living room which is quite small, a true home theater and with the right sources, good high def surround sound. Anything beyond that it's just meh..

I settled on plugging the PC into the TV directly and EARC takes audio back to the receiver. Not the ideal situation because if I want to change settings on the Yamaha while using the PC, I have to change input on the TV, there are very little controls for audio outside of the on screen display.

Sorry for the long winded post. Next time i'm going to seriously consider going a different direction. i'm about to install the musiccast app and will update if things get better with that.

I sort of am a perfectionist too, and perhaps my expectations are too high-- but at a $1K price tag, it should deliver even if I had to deal with a few gripes.

What this experience has taught me and confirmed my own suspicions:

AV Receivers are a dying breed, not as much demand, so manufacturers are recycling old products with new tech (HDMI 2.1, etc) putting lipstick on it, hiring an awesome marketing crew that can tout the new features, and sell it at top dollar. Do a mild refresh each year, sell for more money; honestly probably all they can do to stay alive. Only a few brands left, and many are consolidated --> Denon = Marantz for example. I don't even know where Onkyo is right now, they've changed hands and filed for bankruptcy so many times now.

I'll probably keep this one because for movies and utilizing my surround to the fullest, it's spot on. And it would be too expensive to send back and take a gamble on another brand receiver.

It makes my living room which is quite small, a true home theater and with the right sources, good high def surround sound. Anything beyond that it's just meh..

I settled on plugging the PC into the TV directly and EARC takes audio back to the receiver. Not the ideal situation because if I want to change settings on the Yamaha while using the PC, I have to change input on the TV, there are very little controls for audio outside of the on screen display.

Sorry for the long winded post. Next time i'm going to seriously consider going a different direction. i'm about to install the musiccast app and will update if things get better with that.
Well, I certainly dont think your expectations were too high, your experience though and from others is what has had me constantly put off buying a new receiver. Our current Yamaha 5.1 which is getting on in years still delivers room shaking sound from my Two Main Paradigm Speakers, JBL Ref center channel, Yami sub and two JBL rears. However lets face it I dont trust it to even properly pass though a 4k signal so only use it for sound.

I just cant kill the receiver and at the time it was pretty basic, sound is awesome for movies (we are perfectionists for video, prefer our system to a theater) Anyway, even with 16 foot ceilings it has enough reserve for clean ear splitting volumes if pushed.

Fast forward to litterally, the last month, we sold our house of 16 years we lived in the south, stupid it took only 3 days to sell and actually be in contract. Now in an apartment for months until a new smaller one is finished being built near the coast of NC.
The system in storage and for the first time, I still cant believe I am thinking about this but Im certain I am going to do it. But for the new house Im going to get a sound bar, Sony HT-A 7000 most likely, torn between that and the Sono's Ark The ark is a bit dated, no blue tooth and reviews on the Sony surprise me they are so good. Even in whathifi.com though I am leary they seem to LOVE the Sony over the Sono's and for our new smaller "retirement" home it will be way more than capable. Though I still have a problem wrapping my head around it, wondering what the "catch" is. Most likely burn out in a couple years and it's not cheap.

It's funny you mentioned the "brands" yeah, you have to look up on the internet now before you buy something to see who owns who, most of them under an umbrella company. Some like you are aware teeter on the brink of bankruptcy or just shutting down. It's a new world now, like almost no one wants to put in an effort for anything that might take effort such as researching and setting up a sound system. All in one, take it out of a box, you're set to go. Part of it, industry fault, some stuff loaded up with marketing garbage to the point that people get confused and shut down.
The sound from them is "good enough" heck, just look at all the tiny expensive small Bluetooth speakers that at sold now.
Anyway, it sounds like you will make it work and get used to it, start to enjoy it.

There was one other comment I was going to make a couple days ago but in the past since you decided. The place you purchased it had the best price but worst return policy, you made a comment next time Amazon. Well, if you think of it, the cost would have been the same. More expensive price from Amazon, free returns. If you decided to return it now since you bought at a better price but have to pay two way shipping, the bottom line is the price maybe the same as if you bought from Amazon anyway so really no loss.

Your input has helped my decision more I think. Now I got this system in storage and how do you get rid of something, most young people would even, dont even know what to do with something with 6 speakers. Hence why there are now sound bars. I guess I could try Facebook marketplace.

Fast forward to litterally, the last month, we sold our house of 16 years we lived in the south, stupid it took only 3 days to sell and actually be in contract. Now in an apartment for months until a new smaller one is finished being built near the coast of NC.
The system in storage and for the first time, I still cant believe I am thinking about this but Im certain I am going to do it. But for the new house Im going to get a sound bar, Sony HT-A 7000 most likely, torn between that and the Sono's Ark The ark is a bit dated, no blue tooth and reviews on the Sony surprise me they are so good. Even in whathifi.com though I am leary they seem to LOVE the Sony over the Sono's and for our new smaller "retirement" home it will be way more than capable. Though I still have a problem wrapping my head around it, wondering what the "catch" is. Most likely burn out in a couple years and it's not cheap.

Your input has helped my decision more I think. Now I got this system in storage and how do you get rid of something, most young people would even, dont even know what to do with something with 6 speakers. Hence why there are now sound bars. I guess I could try Facebook marketplace.
Why not just run it as a 3.0 or 3.1 vs a soundbar? In my basement family room I have a full 5.2.2 setup that I would never want in the living room...even if I did no way my wife would let me. I do still have a 2.0 system in the living room that IMO is still better than a soundbar.

I'm 33...representing the few youngins that appreciate good sound 😁

Back