Turn signals on the freeway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rumble
No, that's being lazy. You're supposed to roll down the window and extend your arm out pointing to the direction you want to turn. You know, like in the old days. Just be careful at freeway speeds—you could lose an arm.

But they won't see you at night when their headlights are off.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Are we suppose to use them? Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.

Am I living in twilight zone or another universe? Can someone reassure me where am I?

Originally Posted by csandste
How many of us are old enough to remember the hand signals for turning and stopping that were part of driver's ed?
I wonder if a driving test would be cancelled if the car was a pre-'53 without turn signals and of course no seat belts. No turn signals would be ideal for the OP.

What if it were a pre-electric-start car such as a Model T and had only one tail light, perhaps legal because that was how it was built? Would the person being tested fail for tucking his/her thumb around the crank handle and/or right-hand cranking?

And the car is so old it was built with no windshield wipers, has to back up a steep hill because the gas is gravity-fed, has only a hand throttle and rear-wheel-only mechanical brakes.

That'd be a hoot on reality TV.

Any driving examiners in the audience?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Really???

Yes really. Somewhere along the line I heard somewhere that turn signals was only for driving on city streets.

When I lived in San Diego, it was rare to see anyone signal on the freeway. Heck, they change 3 lanes in one swoop.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
I wonder if a driving test would be cancelled if the car was a pre-'53 without turn signals and of course no seat belts. No turn signals would be ideal for the OP.

What if it were a pre-electric-start car such as a Model T and had only one tail light, perhaps legal because that was how it was built? Would the person being tested fail for tucking his/her thumb around the crank handle and/or right-hand cranking?

Really you don't know the answer to this? You cannot take the driving test if the vehicle does not have mandatory equipment. It would be illegal to drive if you had a license and cannot be licensed itself. You can literally get a ticket for driving it for every offense.

And the car is so old it was built with no windshield wipers, has to back up a steep hill because the gas is gravity-fed, has only a hand throttle and rear-wheel-only mechanical brakes.
Consult your state as to the requirement for wipers if it's not raining. Otherwise, you're getting silly as none of that pertains to required equipment.

In many states these 25+ year old vehicles have a special license plate that only allows driving in parades or other special events, or to and from the (nearest) gas station.

What many people here are not understanding is you don't only have to signal, you also have to do it a certain distance before changing lanes or turning. This distance maybe as short as 50 feet but can be 100ft, even 200ft in some states. I wouldn't expect an officer to give you a ticket if no other vehicles are around, usually not stop you at all (has better things to do) but if one wants a reason to pull you over and to see what falls out of it, don't be surprised.

When changing lanes, or turning you are supposed to signal, it's the law around here. Split seconds to change lanes? Why? Unless there's some kind of emergency maneuver I have to make I don't have split seconds to change lanes, I have adequate time. OTOH I have seen very aggressive drivers weaving in and out of lanes who might not have the time to signal. I hope that's not the case here.

If you don't signal … our Tahoe starts tugging the wheel and buzzing your tail … so it's retraining me to always signal on lane changes …

Yes, but I only push the signal lever just enough so that it'll blink, but not "lock" in place - - and only for just a couple seconds.

All Y'all keyboard commandos that have never driven in DFW traffic will learn a whole new set of traffic rules when you come here!

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways

What if it were a pre-electric-start car such as a Model T and had only one tail light, perhaps legal because that was how it was built?

The 1928-1931 Ford "Model A" had a single taillight.

Before that (1927 and down), I don't think I recall having ever seen a tail light on a "Model T".

My state says

Code

An operator may not turn a vehicle or move right or left on a public way

unless the movement can be made with reasonable safety.

So is sliding 12 feet to the left or right, but maintaining the same direction, turning a vehicle?
laugh.gif

I signal as I move as a warning to others. Anything more invites people to "close the gap".

Originally Posted by gman2304
Are we suppose to use them? Sometimes I have split seconds to change lanes and the turn signals slow me down.
. WOW!

This looks like a trolling question to me. No one is so stupid as to ask this question in this manner.

No need to use them. Its great to keep drivers guessing about what you want to do. You know, like are you coming into my lane because you want to move over, or are you just moving from line to line because you are on the phone.

First car I ever bought was a '53 Mercury, purchased in late '64. Had non-functioning turn signals and in order to pass inspection, they cut the turn signal lever off with a hack saw. How many of us are old enough to remember the hand signals for turning and stopping that were part of driver's ed?
Still use them on a bicycle-now that's OLD SCHOOL!
grin.gif

Really???

Yes really. Somewhere along the line I heard somewhere that turn signals was only for driving on city streets.

When I lived in San Diego, it was rare to see anyone signal on the freeway. Heck, they change 3 lanes in one swoop.
I've heard in PA turn signals are considered a sign of weakness...
crazy2.gif
I adjust my use of them to the conditions-if I'm on insane I-75, I don't use them until I'm already moving to change lanes. On the backroads, I'll give you a LITTLE warning!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
First car I ever bought was a '53 Mercury, purchased in late '64. Had non-functioning turn signals and in order to pass inspection, they cut the turn signal lever off with a hack saw. How many of us are old enough to remember the hand signals for turning and stopping that were part of driver's ed?
Still use them on a bicycle-now that's OLD SCHOOL!
grin.gif

But right turn signal in a car was hand up, cause it was hard to point out the passenger side window. When I rode a bike as a kid, I just pointed right, opposite of the left turn signal. Of course I didn't have to worry about making split second lane changes, cause there was only one lane each way in the small South Dakota town of my youth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Really???

I've heard in PA turn signals are considered a sign of weakness...
crazy2.gif
I adjust my use of them to the conditions-if I'm on insane I-75, I don't use them until I'm already moving to change lanes. On the backroads, I'll give you a LITTLE warning!

They're a sign of weakness in Florida. I seem to remember a DJ in Florida getting fired to saying turn signals are a sign of weakness.

Originally Posted by 4WD
If you don't signal … our Tahoe starts tugging the wheel and buzzing your tail … so it's retraining me to always signal on lane changes …

Sometimes I will put the high beams on them and leave them on until they change lanes. But this is only during the day time and when they cut me off without a signal.

Really???

I lived in San Diego and I have seen all kind of stuff. Actually I would say driving in blizzard in the Rocky Mountains is safer than driving in San Diego during sunny day.
BUT, that does not mean it is legal and what you suppose to do. Maybe person that wanted to run you over after not giving signal was me. Next time that happens to you ask yourself why people are [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back