TSLA @ $806. Elon is #1

You are only an idiot if you ask me.
I suggest you call your local Schwab office and get started.
I consider buying individual stocks gambling.

Good luck.

Would you mess with an Index or Mutual fund?

Would you mess with an Index or Mutual fund?
Do you know the question you're asking? An index like the S&P 500 is a list of companies that the S&P have picked to be in their 500 index. A mutual fund buys those stocks listed in the index. The performance of the index is theoretical as a real mutual fund will have expenses involved in the purchase, sale and management of the fund that the index will not have as the index is just a list of stocks maintained by S&P. So if you buy an index mutual fund like the S&P 500, it will have a percentage of Tesla in it, about 1.7%. If you buy individual shares of Tesla, you will have 100% of those shares in Tesla. Instead of buying a mutual fund of the S&P 500, you can buy the ETF instead. Those tend to have higher expense fees but the advantage with them is that you can buy and sell them at any time of the day. Typically with a mutual fund, you're limited to the price you get at the end of the day whether buying or selling. Tesla closed at $880.02 a share. If you want to buy one share, you need to come up with $880.02, no fractional share purchases. You can buy mutual funds up to the thousandths percent so Fidelity 500 index fund is $132.62 a share. If you had $100, you could just buy 0.754 shares of the fund and about 1.7% of that would be in Tesla.

So what's your question again?

In general we're reluctant to give investment advice as only a few thought that it'd go that high and who knows what will ultimately happen. Look at bitcoin, now up to 40k and some thought it was finished and headed to 0 when it was at 3k.

Do you know the question you're asking? An index like the S&P 500 is a list of companies that the S&P have picked to be in their 500 index. A mutual fund buys those stocks listed in the index. The performance of the index is theoretical as a real mutual fund will have expenses involved in the purchase, sale and management of the fund that the index will not have as the index is just a list of stocks maintained by S&P. So if you buy an index mutual fund like the S&P 500, it will have a percentage of Tesla in it, about 1.7%. If you buy individual shares of Tesla, you will have 100% of those shares in Tesla. Instead of buying a mutual fund of the S&P 500, you can buy the ETF instead. Those tend to have higher expense fees but the advantage with them is that you can buy and sell them at any time of the day. Typically with a mutual fund, you're limited to the price you get at the end of the day whether buying or selling. Tesla closed at $880.02 a share. If you want to buy one share, you need to come up with $880.02, no fractional share purchases. You can buy mutual funds up to the thousandths percent so Fidelity 500 index fund is $132.62 a share. If you had $100, you could just buy 0.754 shares of the fund and about 1.7% of that would be in Tesla.

So what's your question again?

In general we're reluctant to give investment advice as only a few thought that it'd go that high and who knows what will ultimately happen. Look at bitcoin, now up to 40k and some thought it was finished and headed to 0 when it was at 3k.

I am really considering Schwab, Vanguard, or Oppenheimer funds.

I thought the Dow was the main one, NASDAQ for tech.

Can I even invest if I barely make $600 a week and have to do a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

I need to sit down
Pen and paper
And try to focus.

You are correct, I probably don't know what I'm asking.

I have $1 in McDonald's stock I invested via CashApp.

Can I even invest if I barely make $600 a week and have to do a Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

I need to sit down
Pen and paper
And try to focus.

You would have to read the prospectus to see what the funds are investing in. Some invest in just a few stocks, others have hundreds if not thousands of stocks. Dow is the main one that gets quoted, but S&P 500 is usually the basic one most invest in. The Dow is just 30 stocks so it might not really track the whole stock market so that's why the S&P 500 gets mentioned a lot, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund is another index fund that gets mentioned a lot and that holds over 3000 stocks.

I guess I'm behind, didn't know Cashapp lets you buy fractional shares of stocks just like mutual funds.

If you're doing Chapter 7 which is liquidation, I would think they would look at all your assets and give a percentage to creditors and wipe out the rest although I think they let you keep some assets so it'd really be up to the judge on what investments you can keep or not.

I need to sit down
Pen and paper
And try to focus.

My investment career got a really late start due to my alcoholism.
It didn't really start until after I got sober at 33.
It consists of property (my homes), managed account (Schwab) and my individual stocks.
There is one more thing: I invested in myself through college. I got my 1st degree at 40.
Now I have 3: Finance (High Tech Companies), Economics and Computer Science.

I highly recomment education; it has paid off for me.
I wish you good luck.

Tesla has been up 9 straight days in a row!

JT20, This "Game" takes a very long time to just start to feel somewhat comfortable playing, the game is chess not checkers and your playing with Sharks and your the the one in the pool that is bleeding! Beware...

Now buying ETF's, and Mutual funds don't work for me but I have never bought either. Like someone else posted if you bought an ETF, you might end up with a small % of Tesla which you seem to be attracted to due to the fact that it has appreciated so much and is in the news daily. Your not interested in Blockchain, or Crowdstrike, Square... on and on.

My suggestion is to study, pick best of breed, Tesla could be considered "Best of Breed" but tell me, is it an automotive or a tech stock?
Keep your money in the mattress for now since your young and have time. Wait for Blood in the streets! On the ugliest worst days that are most likely coming soon 5%/10%/20% correction in the market and buy the stocks you want and don't pay attention to the up and down 1%/ 2% days, those are every day. Long game, keep it simple.

On the other hand, I believe as other investment advisors are stating that with all the stimulus that is coming down the pipeline the market is going to continue in a melt up, but they tend to think it will be mainly in tech and biotech mostly, although rising tides lift all boats. It will be very specific tech, and Tesla will Definitely continue to be one of the leaders. Its in the Tech sector.

This "Game" is way too complicated to think your going to learn it fast, most 90% or more lose most of their money and walk away to buy Mutual funds. The other thing, if you own an individual stock you must do 1 hour of homework, research per week per stock for due diligence. Its not for most people, but some people don't trust others managing their money like myself.

I hate to say it but His Muskiness buying ventilators from china and stamping Tesla on them and giving them to hospitals is not "manufacturing " anything. Two when I was a dealership lot manager Tesla did not stand behind their warranty when it came to towing of vehicles. Three getting parts for Teslas are just about impossible. Four Jason Fenske tried to get high performance brake pads for his model three and was given the run around. Five my dad's boss's sister had a 2015 Model S. The front bumper was damaged and according to Tesla service center it's a one year only part and not compatible with a 2014 or 2016 bumper bolt patterns. It's surprising Tesla is still in business.

For some odd reason this thread popped up while I was reading about oil filters. I thought it'd be fascinating to see how our TSLA stock has done since January of 2021. While it takes a tad bit longer to lose it, a trip to Vegas would have been more fun. Even taking into consideration their 3:1 stock split, the wise thing to do for companies that pay no dividend is to watch and get out when it looks too good to be true. Take your earnings while they exist and maybe buy a Tesla :)

1673951251290.jpg

For some odd reason this thread popped up while I was reading about oil filters. I thought it'd be fascinating to see how our TSLA stock has done since January of 2021. While it takes a tad bit longer to lose it, a trip to Vegas would have been more fun. Even taking into consideration their 3:1 stock split, the wise thing to do for companies that pay no dividend is to watch and get out when it looks too good to be true. Take your earnings while they exist and maybe buy a Tesla :)

View attachment 135956
I enjoyed read this “historical” thread start to finish just now.
Sooner or later P/E ratio in a business with much competition in a low P/E established industry matters.
I hope some inexperienced didn’t gamble the house, seems like some may have 😕

Back