Trying to rationalize why a Glock 19 even exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at a G19 and it is really only slightly smaller than a G17. Don't understand why it gets touted as the "best 9mm pistol ever"

The G17 is:
0.67" longer
0.44" taller
1.41oz heavier

I've often heard the G19 referred to as the "Goldilocks" Glock. Just don't see what all the fuss is about.

It is a compact, and at that, is a dead reliable and accurate handgun. I would say it is the "best" 9mm compact for CC. As far as why it exists, why not?

Different horses for different courses.

To answer you, why the Glock 19? Because it's not the G17, G17L G22, G23, G24, G26, G27, G34, G35, or G43.

If you don't have at least several Glocks then what kind of gun guy are you?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
It is a compact, and at that, is a dead reliable and accurate handgun. I would say it is the "best" 9mm compact for CC. As far as why it exists, why not?

Why isn't there a Glock sized between the G19 and the G17, why not have a Glock sized between the G19 and the G26? See what I mean.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Different horses for different courses.

To answer you, why the Glock 19? Because it's not the G17, G17L G22, G23, G24, G26, G27, G34, G35, or G43.

If you don't have at least several Glocks then what kind of gun guy are you?

I don't own any Glock pistols. I would not mind getting a G17 Gen 3. CDNN has them for $499 + $2 shipping.

I kinda wonder why the 17 exists. After all it is just a tad bigger than the greatest 9mm handgun in existence.. The G19.
smile.gif

I find the g17 pretty good for conceal carry. The grip is just a little big for me. Id have been happy if all Glock did was shorten the grip and left the barrel at the 17 length when making the 19.

The 19 is really perfect. I love it. I'm a 1911 guy and also carry a Colt Commander

I have the 17, 19, 26. When I worked for a LEO agency that let me pick and choose whatever gun I wanted, I chose the Glock 19, even though I own a Glock 17 as well.

Hold them both in your hand and you will see that the Glock 19 just feels great. The extra length of the 17 grip does hinder concealment.

So, if you can afford it, buy em all. If you want to buy just one gun for conceal carry, get the 26. If you can conceal the larger 19 no problem, then get the 19. If you want just a home defense gun, get the 17. And the 19 for your wife. And the 26 for the dog.
wink.gif

A 4" barrel is about the minimum sight radius for good accuracy.

The G19 grip fills the hand but not more. A G17 is longer, the G26 lets your pinky hanging. Since the grip is what prints the most while concealed the G19 seems to hit the sweet spot for size vs control.

If everyone liked CCing a full size service pistol like the 17 then there is no reason for the 19.

stchman, have you shot a 17, 19, and 26?

Glock produces 3 different size 9 MM guns. The full size 17. The mid size 19. And the compact 26. Something for everyone. It's like a clothes designer offering a woman the same skirt in 3 different lengths. One long for professional dress for business and work. Another a bit shorter for casual get together's. And a third and super short one for when she wants to go out and get laid. No matter what the occasion she'll have the proper skirt for it.

Now translate the same basic idea into firearms, and you've got the same deal going on. Except with 3 different size guns of the same type, you have one that will work for any situation you may be up against, regardless of how you are dressed. Or what size you are regardless of the climate, weather, or geological conditions that may exist at the time.

Originally Posted By: dsonyay
I kinda wonder why the 17 exists. After all it is just a tad bigger than the greatest 9mm handgun in existence.. The G19.
smile.gif

I find the g17 pretty good for conceal carry. The grip is just a little big for me. Id have been happy if all Glock did was shorten the grip and left the barrel at the 17 length when making the 19.

The 19 is really perfect. I love it. I'm a 1911 guy and also carry a Colt Commander

I'm of the similar opinion! The 19 is just right for me as it fits my entire hand, and still somewhat concealable (if needed). Only holds 2 rounds less than the 17. Any longer grip and it's wasted on my hand.

For open carry times, I could see the 17 being nice to have for more accuracy and more rounds, but the 19 is more easily carried still.

The G19 is hands-down my favorite Glock. It's my go to gun. Great for carry, home defense, and target shooting. It will do everything the 17 will do in a smaller and lighter package.

Remember a Glock 19 and a Glock 30 are almost the same size. Glock 19 is middle right. The Glock 30 is the bottom left. When you lay them on top of one another they're almost exactly the same. Except the grip is a bit shorter on the Glock 30.

I look at it slightly differently. To me, there is no reason the glock 17 should exist anymore. For me, the perfect sized 9mm glocks are the 43, 19 and then the 34. With these 3 sizes you have all your bases covered. Back up gun/deep concealment, every day carry on the waistband, and then home defense or competition. Yes I own all 3 guns and recommend them all. Glock and CZ are my favorite pistol brands. I like Smith & Wesson and FN also but I can't recommend them as much as Glock or CZ.

to answer the original question directly; The Glock 19 is big enough to be accurate, reliable, durable, holds enough ammo to even be a duty gun yet it is small and light enough to conceal carry and for pretty much anyone to use.

Because the market supports it. Sometimes just a little size difference makes a gun point and balance well for some shooters.

Does anyone besides me think that Glocks look like plastic toys?

So what if they do? They are one of, if not THE most reliable handgun platforms ever designed. Used by military and police around the world.

The M4 looks like a plastic toy too.

Does anyone besides me think that Glocks look like plastic toys?

Looks like the Shield, and others. But honestly my 43 fits my hand like a glove shoots well, weighs 1 lb 2 oz (empty). I kinda' like its looks..especially the Glock symbol..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back