try amsoil or stick with the cheaper stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Amsoil is a very good product. The company has a very good recommendation for an unknown reason folks like to take jabs at it. The company does offer outrageous unsubstantiated claims as it's base of advertising. It's retail model is different but it's product performs as advertised.
Here's why they jab:
-Cost
-Availability
-Truth in advertising (your comment)
-Un-needed performance for long engine life

There is probably a market segment where Amsoil products are appropriate but it is a very, very small segment and it certainly isn't needed for any daily driver.

Originally Posted by ptn107
Originally Posted by csandste
I guess we have the same engine (I have GDI).

Mine's just the 1.8 Nu engine (without the ticking of earlier model years) and isn't gdi.

Not gonna lie I've done a change with walmart supertech 5w-20/5w-30 (both st conventional [seemed to be ok] and st synthetic) once or twice. I was just curious about Amsoil as a lot of people who bash the lower priced synthetics for whatever reason unanimously praise this Amsoil stuff. Those few times I used ST I never noticed anything different than the Pennzoil, QS, or Valvoline oils I've used.

I don't do extended OCIs sticking to 7500 like the book says. I do mostly highway commutes daily 35-45min each way all 65mph+.

Amsoil OE is very similar to off the shelf groupIII and will suit you well at 7500. Probably same price as off the shelf (without rebates LOL) and would probably be able to go 10k with a UOA.

That said, Highway commute, NOT Direct Injection. Even though you plan to stick to 7500 mile interval your vehicle and driving style make for an excellent candidate for extended OCI. I can vouch for the Amsoil SS, took it to over 12000 miles several times and analysis said it could go further. This was when I was driving 29000 miles a year with 99% highway. Just sayin'.

But to simply do 7500 miles, and get the most bang for your buck I'd grab ST Synthetic. It has been shown to be good to that distance, and one UOA at 7500 miles to make sure it's good you've got no worries.

edit: Add a Fram Ultra and change every 2nd (or 3rd) OCI...and don't look back.

Last edited:
In our 1993 Toyota pickup, we just drive it in the neighborhood and occasionally to/from work 25 miles away. UOA from Blackstone said when I samples it at 7,700 miles, go 10,000 miles. The next change at 10,000+ miles they said go 15,000 miles as the Amsoil SS 10W-30 was in good shape. It takes 5 years to go 10,000 miles so that's my OCI with Amsoil. In our 05 Toyota Avalon, The OCI was 7,500 miles on M1 HM but UOA said to go 10,000 miles.

It seems they are kind of similar but not exactly. Either way you go you'll be fine.

Imp4,

Let me answer some of that... This post isn't aimed at you, just answering some of the points you brought up for the group.

Cost - Quality base stocks and additives that can survive 25,000 miles and still remain in grade costs money. Now it depends on whether you are looking for extended OCI's. But those that complain about the cost when they are comparing apples to oranges. i.e. Amsoil Extended Drain capabilities to off the shelf not designed to do 25,000 miles. Amsoil does have other series like their OE / XL series which are reduced costs but offer excellent protection like off the shelf synthetics. But to use the signature series 25,000 mile capable oil against say Synpower or PUP makes no sense. Both are very different in their capabilities and what they are designed for.

Availability - Shipped right to your door for free if you meet the minimum order of $100. Not sure how that isn't "Available" to some folks.

Truth in advertising - They are upfront when you contact the technical support line via the web or phone. They do their own testing and don't subscibe to paying for API licenses on their signature series (but do on the OE line) because it allows them to not have to conform to their specifications and can build a better product. i.e. more ZDDP than is allowed normally under API Licensing. As for Dexos they have run the tests and come up just the same and better but don't want to pay GM for the official spec because their typical user could care less. How this is any different than Valvoline claiming specifications on their ATF's for example but not officially licensing it is beyond me, but I guess it's cool to hate companies folks don't like just because one "Trusts" Valvoline over "Amsoil". They certainly have the pockets to pay for this licensing if they wanted to as the videos I posted in other threads showing their operations clearly shows the money they have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsul2aDqfU / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHrs15Ywho / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3nMho2mwCw

Again if you have concerns feel free to e-mail them as I have done many times and have posted responses here. They aren't hiding anything and were quite up front that they didn't pay for official Dexos licensing but that they have run the tests and will guarantee the quality. Heck they even show you pictures of piston heads, turbos and internals of CVT's that they have tested their products against the competition. But we should probably all dismiss this because it's biased. I mean it's not like there would be lawsuits bankrupting them into oblivion if they were lying or anything. Especially in the sue happy U.S. Just saying...

Un-needed performance for long engine life - Depends what is important. If fewer oil changes and lower cost per mile oil changes over these longer intervals with excellent protection and long engine life is your key then Amsoil is the best product because that is what it is designed for (Signature Series). If you intend to change your oil at 10K miles or less and want long engine life than any off the shelf synthetic or Amsoil OEM / XL series is the right product because that is what it's designed for.

The fact is people here like to hate on Amsoil and it's usually because they decide to use the MLM dealer network to sell their product and choose to increase their sales year over year since the 1970's based on word of mouth instead of big fancy commercials and oil change shops licensing the brand name. Which is a complete shame that such an American success story gets pushed to the way side simply because of folks bias and hatred that is unsubstantiated. But to each their own.

The fact is there is nothing but exceptional experiences on this forum, other forums, all over the internet (especially in the performance and off-roading community) and myself included which I know is biased... All using their products and there isn't any hoards and hoards of bad experiences out there where anything Amsoil makes caused any issues when applied properly.

Use it if it suits you and your needs, don't if it doesn't. But folks that spread nonsense because they don't see benefit in it for them is a problem. Could you imagine if folks did this to M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil? There would be mass murders. So why is it ok to hate on Amsoil? (Not aimed at you Imp4)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by burla
If you have the gdi you should be hunting for low calcium oils with hi
gh moly and even high zinc.

What oils have low calcium and high moly besides amsoil?

Red Line has high calcium and ZDDP.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Amsoil is a very good product. The company has a very good recommendation for an unknown reason folks like to take jabs at it. The company does offer outrageous unsubstantiated claims as it's base of advertising. It's retail model is different but it's product performs as advertised.
Here's why they jab:
-Cost
-Availability

There is probably a market segment where Amsoil products are appropriate but it is a very, very small segment and it certainly isn't needed for any daily driver.

Please provide an example of the truth in advertising.

I have been using oil from walmart, pretty much any brands. But now ive decided go with Amsoil for my Camaro SS and maybe i might also use Amsoil OE( $5 per qt after membership) for my wife's SUV ( avg 2k miles a month) and just keep doing same from Walmart for my work truck.

I like high performance cars, ive been seen many shops and ton of high hp guys uses Amsoil. They have good viscosity line and good additives. Its just makes easier for customers. i think they are great.

If you're going to use Amsoil, go all out and use SS. For an OE interval, use any off shelf synthetic on sale and call it a day.

StevieC,

When I used to get on the highway for a trip I'd to carry a full toolbox, a quart of oil, a quart of ATF and some antifreeze. Now I just carry some hand tools. If I need oil/antifreeze there's usually a WalMart not far. Can't do that with Amsoil products.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
StevieC,

When I used to get on the highway for a trip I'd to carry a full toolbox, a quart of oil, a quart of ATF and some antifreeze. Now I just carry some hand tools. If I need oil/antifreeze there's usually a WalMart not far. Can't do that with Amsoil products.

Because you couldn't do either of the following and this warrants not buying Amsoil? You sound ridiculous. Just saying...

1) Use something else to get you through the pinch that is available from Walmart or some other store until your next change.
2) Use the Amsoil you keep in the trunk.

Last edited:
StevieC,

In 21 years of driving I had to add oil a dozen times once in this millennia. ATF never. This a deciding factor not to buy a product this is a first for me.

it's funny, every single Amsoil related tread ends the same way. It is really annoying men. Keep it calm and clear men.

StevieC,

Did you ever used ATF fluid?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by burla
If you have the gdi you should be hunting for low calcium oils with high moly and even high zinc.

What oils have low calcium and high moly besides amsoil?

Any oil that is SN+ and or dexos 1 Gen 2.

No, not all the same.. Orinite has done the work, high moly and high zinc is helpful against fighting lspi. So a standard group 3 sn+ would be substantially better if it has a triple dose of moly, like Amsoil SS has. We are being controlled by the obamaites that run the epa and api and they require low additives in their 20 and 30 weights, well if you find oils that have the same make up but higher moly and zinc you will have better protection against lspi.

Amsoil is a quality product, however, with so many major brands now offering very good synthetics, the value of Amsoil is not what it once was IMO. (unless you truly despise going to Walmart). I've always said if Mobil 1 didn't exist, I would have likely been an Amsoil user since 2001. Now all of the major brands offer top tier synthetic oils.

Amsoil was a bit late in dropping the high calcium levels but did finally come around and create a more modern, compliant long drain oil. Mobil 1 and Castrol were the first to move to a Ca/Mg based system back in 2012.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
StevieC,

Did you ever used ATF fluid?

ATF no. Oil no. Antifreeze (and just water) yes.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Something else to consider; AMSOIL gets their base from someone else. They don't make their own. Previous discussions have mention Mobil 1 as their supplier. I imagine the additives come from someone as well.

How does that matter, if they are blending it to their specification?

It doesn't. Just saying that AMSOIL is a blender. Some people are unaware of that. Valvoline is a blender as well.

There are a zillion custom blenders out there. Do you think Redline or Lucas drill their own?

If they do it right, it's a value added product (Amsoil, Redline). If they don't it's not much good (Lucas ...).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Originally Posted by StevieC
Something else to consider; AMSOIL gets their base from someone else. They don't make their own. Previous discussions have mention Mobil 1 as their supplier. I imagine the additives come from someone as well.

How does that matter, if they are blending it to their specification?

It doesn't. Just saying that AMSOIL is a blender. Some people are unaware of that. Valvoline is a blender as well.

There are a zillion custom blenders out there. Do you think Redline or Lucas drill their own?

If they do it right, it's a value added product (Amsoil, Redline). If they don't it's not much good (Lucas ...).

Redline is owned by Phillips.

Here's why they jab:
-Cost
-Availability

You see, Dave1251, it was you that stated:
Originally Posted by Dave1251
The company does offer outrageous unsubstantiated claims as it's base of advertising.
So I deferred to your insight.
So, can you please provide an example of the outrageous unsubstantiated claims you have spoken of???

Looking forward to your response!!!

Here's why they jab:
-Cost
-Availability

You see, Dave1251, it was you that stated:
Originally Posted by Dave1251
The company does offer outrageous unsubstantiated claims as it's base of advertising.
So I deferred to your insight.
So, can you please provide an example of the outrageous unsubstantiated claims you have spoken of???

Looking forward to your response!!!

Autocorrect is inaccurate at times. Amsoil does list specs it does not have a license for. In stated cases Amsoil at times will release its test data to show how it meets the spec. Also when someone notices changes in their TDS's which appears like using more group III basestocks Amsoil acknowledges the change. A couple of "synthetic" blenders will do everything to discourage inquries and tell half truths when confronted with the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back