true Fram o/f story....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what happened to a fellow T-bird owner with Fram filters (posted on Tccoa.com):

"...Just got finished installing the replacement engine in my car,and just too update you on the cause of the failure of the original engine.When
I took the oil pan off the old engine the pick-up tube was blocked with pieces of filter paper.The car had sat for three and a half months; weather that has anything to do with it but the (Fram)filter had come apart and caused the blocking of the pick up tube and that was what blew the
engine.I have contacted Fram ,You never know they might come to the party.I guess if there ar two moons in the sky,but this will be the last
Fram filter that will be used on my fleet..."

LOL!

Perhaps one should have a serious look as to where exactly the filter media is situated in the oil passage before looking at the oil pickup screen?

Wow
shocked.gif

Better tell your buddy to study up on how the oil system works. Yes, another urban legend is started.

Well ....you see ..it was sorta like the way a wasp makes its hive...or how they used to make paper out of cotton. The Fram media ..got ground into a fine slurry/oil mixture ...then ..slowly ..very slowly this oil/pulp mix hit the oil screen on the pickup. One mm at a time fastening itself to the screen. Naturaly the oil seperated and left the "media remix" deposits to accumulate.

Add 50,000 or so miles ..and wadaya have
dunno.gif

How's that for plausible "urban legend" fuel??
tongue.gif

I'm not defending FRAM, but I would need to see pictures of the stuff that plugged the screen and the filter itself to believe it. I have never seen a filter do this in over 50 years. Sounds more like someone left a shop towel in the oil pan on final assembely.

I have no idea how he came to this conclusion....I didn't know that all this was technically impossible, hence the "true story" remark. My apologies for that heading.

That's the whole post he had. I have no idea if he cut the filter open or not. (don't know the guy personally; this was just posted on that forum)

Give us a link ..
smile.gif
I'd like to see how this was received on that forum.

..but I do thank you for sharing the Fram "News of the Weird"
grin.gif

The only way that media could have gotten "downstream" is for the filter to collapse.

In my 20 years in filtration, I have heard of shop towles in the oil pan. Especially when an engine is rebuilt or opened up for repair.

Filter companies know what filter media is and can determine that the "paper" that was found in the oil pan is or isn't filter media.

The other question would be , what did the owner do with the oil filter on the engine at the time he/she discovered the stuff in the oil pan? Did they save it or at least inspect it/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back