Volvo 1275810 (Mahle) filter doing it's job - thank goodness (ugly stuff)!

This is a dealer-installed Volvo filter - Mahle I believe (made in Austria is on it though not visible).

Installed 6,500 miles, castrol 5w-30 synthetic (dealer installed in 11/2016)
2004 S60 2.5t awd, 133k mi.

There was a tiny bit of thickened oil in the bottom of the filter housing (it sits inverted so things accumulate there). No carbon found elsewhere.

Volvo has a peculiar PCV system with a large plastic box along the block. Oil coking tends to clog it over time and pressurize the engine, driving oil leaks. Cleaning/replacing it is a hassle as it's beneath the intake manifold and the fuel rail has to come off, also. Working on them throws carbon debris everywhere - into hoses, the block, pan.

When I bought this car a few weeks ago I spied that the intake manifold gasket was new and I could peer between the intake runners and see the box was new-ish and not original. Nice sign. I believe the car sat about 2.5+ years until this September, thus the 6,500 miles since the last oil change 4 years ago.

I replaced it with a Bosch for now (will get a Fram Ultra or equivalent later), Mobil 1 10w30 HM, and 6oz. of Lubegard Biotech. I will do a UOA at 5k miles to see how it's holding up and to pick an ongoing-OCI for the car. I'll probably pull the filter out in 1k miles to see if it's still catching debris.

Attachments

• IMG-2891.JPG
    IMG-2891.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG-2892.JPG
    IMG-2892.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG-2893.JPG
    IMG-2893.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 287
Yep, that’s a nice Volvo filter made by Mahle. Have used cheaper filters that work well, but for a couple $$ more, i think these are a good value. Easily obtainable at Rock Auto and elsewhere for about $5.

I have liked the look of the Mahle and Mann's I have seen for these and may roll with them going forward. The Fram Ultra's are $30 for these! I lucked out and grabbed one for my XC70 for $10 on some amazon sale. Maybe I'll try to get some Napa Platinums on sale, but if $5 Mann/Mahle filter are the easiest thing to get, I'm not going to worry.

The filter I took out of my XC70 this summer looked just like this, maybe less carbon. It also had the oil trap replaced about 5 or 6k before I bought it.

These two Volvos we have are turbos, but low-pressure ones, not the higher pressure T5 or R models. Still I want to be conservative with the OCI given the a) turbo and b) Oil trap/box that clogs. Thus the ACEA A3/B3 oil (M1 10w30HM) and then doing a UOA on the first one of them to hit 5,000 (I have an XC70 and this S60 is for my step-son, upgrading his starter Civic).

Nice find on that s60 - probably my favorite sedan of all times. We still have an 05 on the road here, going strong. Hard to beat the mahle filters for these. Every one I’ve bought, I’ve run seafoam (1/2) can in the sump with synthetic oil, and after 15k miles or so the stains are off the dipstick, the oil cap is clean, and the oil consumption drops to nill. Then I quit using sea foam and keep going with syntec. Great vehicle.

ive had 2 with the 1-2 typical shift flare. On one of them, I moved to amsoil atf and installed an inline filter. 2 years later, no more flare. A lot of the NA units seem to have the flare, but the one turbo we had did not. Yeah, I’ve had 3. theyve been great cars.
m

The pleat spacing is odd. I mainly run the Austrian made Mahle 0x149d on the wife’s S60 and have never seen anything like it.

Ive given up on posting pics. They’re pretty uneventful. Lol.

Back