Truck Splits in Half in Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
I like zip-ties and bungee cords idea. The cab will act as a sort of escape pod in case of collision.

I guess the Aluminum is the Devil narrative sort of petered out.

Maybe a cab eject button and a parachute incase you go off a cliff?

I didn't take a picture, but I saw a similar wreck out east of here on OH32 in Mt. Orab a couple years ago-a loaded semi dump blew through a red light and hit a newer Chevy Silverado crew cab so hard it tore the truck COMPLETELY in half, frame & all. The pickup driver & their passenger both died instantly. I couldn't believe it when I saw the cab & bed separated with the halves of the frame attached, I didn't think it was possible. I guess if enough side force is applied, it is.

Years ago in NH,a Fire Dept chief was responding to a call in mutual aid to his local fire station from his residence.At the end of the main road (which was a T intersection) he blew thru the intersection and was hit broadside by the responding tanker truck.The frame of the 2 year old GMC 2500 was tossed aside in the road,but the cab was ripped off the frame and rolled off like a bowling ball to the edge of the road.While the cab was largely intact,the driver was deceased due to the impact and forces involved after impact (I imagine no seatbelt,but the truck was hit on the driverside).This one wasn't a case of rust....even a GMC doesn't rust out in 2 years....purely forces involved.When you think that the cab holds on with 4 bolts you realize there isn't a lot of steel holding your truck together.Maybe its like the space shuttle...make the crew cabin break away from the main orbiter to allow it to survive.....Well,I believe that was the original plan anyway...

Probably about 35 years or more ago in Branson Mo. Horrible crash woke me up, Big ole Olds or Buick hit sign pole and torn it two. Driver laying out flat on his back in the driveway. Ran over expecting him dead, Instead, snoring which initally was a huge relief, until I smelled how drunk he was and saw the bottles scattered over the parking lot. Then I was a little [censored] at him. Ambulance paramedics woke him up, He had 2 choices leave in ambulance and get blood drawn, or leave in cop car and get blood drawn. He took the ambulance.

The car that was torn in two was a huge heavy thing with lots of steel.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Probably about 35 years or more ago in Branson Mo. Horrible crash woke me up, Big ole Olds or Buick hit sign pole and torn it two. Driver laying out flat on his back in the driveway. Ran over expecting him dead, Instead, snoring which initally was a huge relief, until I smelled how drunk he was and saw the bottles scattered over the parking lot. Then I was a little [censored] at him. Ambulance paramedics woke him up, He had 2 choices leave in ambulance and get blood drawn, or leave in cop car and get blood drawn. He took the ambulance.

The car that was torn in two was a huge heavy thing with lots of steel.

Rod

This was before they put the shear bolts in those sign posts, I guess.

Maybe it's their new "safety feature". Instead of shattering,it breaks into two whole safe as a bug in a rug halves
laugh.gif

It said the the driver lost control but was uninjured. Question,how do you just "lose control of a truck"?

Originally Posted by dbias
In my years of being a Firefighter I've seen many vehicles in multiple parts. The controlled crash test videos, while giving a safety baseline, are in no way what actually happens when Murphy's law gets pushed to the limits.
Worst wreck i had to work was a quadruple fatality where the vehicle, a Honda accord, was tore into 3 peices after wrapping around a very large telephone pole.
The front seat area, door...driver in seat...center consol..passenger in seat and passenger door was stuck on the pole. The engine compartment tore loose and shot counter clockwise around the pole and the rear of the car ripped loose and shot clockwise around the pole.
All died except the passenger setting behind the driver, only one wearing a seat belt, and the car impacted on the drivers door. The rear of the car lodged into the side of a huge RV bus. My crew and I lifted up on the rear end piece of the vehicle and rolled it back from the RV and the guy undid his seatbelt and walked away. The other two in the back seat were shot under the RV and died on the way to the hospital and the two up front were dead on scene as the two front doors were compressed to within a foot of each other.

^^^^^^^^^

Holy cow..

You are right though..

When real world accidents happen.... All kinds of crazy things happen. And they all cannot be accounted for either...

Just like at a NASCAR track... When they didn't put any safer barrier on parts of certain tracks.. because no cars would ever go that way... And guess what they did and cars found/crashed into those places with no safer barrier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Maybe it's their new "safety feature". Instead of shattering,it breaks into two whole safe as a bug in a rug halves
laugh.gif

It said the the driver lost control but was uninjured. Question,how do you just "lose control of a truck"?

Speeding while distracted/tired will result in a quick over correction which causes the truck to lose control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back