Troy-Bilt TB160/Honda engine push mower

For the last 10yrs I've owned a Toro self propelled mower that I could never warm up to, plus it cost some coin over the years with it's drive system that was sub-standard IMHO. So today I switched gears and purchased an old fashion push mower, Troy Bilt TB160 with a Honda 160cc engine. My lawn is under a 1/4 acre so it's no big deal. I think I'm off to a good start since after assembling and adding oil/fuel it started on the 1st pull!!!! If it means anything Consumer Reports (2020) rates this mower as 3rd at top of list. Honda was #1 & Cub Cadet #2. Thought I'd share.....

Good choice on the Honda engine! My pusher is 23 years old and still starts on the first pull, runs very quiet, and has never had major problems. Just change the spark plug, air filter, and oil at the end of each season and run it dry before you winterize it and it will last forever.

My work sells those. They seem ok for an MTD, somewhat better built than the Yard Machines line they make. I am really curious to see the long term results of these new homeowner mowers with the plastic body parts off the deck where the wheels attach... they won't rust out like the metal, but how will they hold up over time?

I have that same mower, purchased mine around 2010. It was the only machine I could find with the Honda engine that doesn't have the self propel stuff the break.

It's a beast, starts first pull almost every time. When I bought it I had a smaller yard to mow, now it's been relegated to brush,real-thick stuff, or uneven terrain duty that I can't run my rider through. I rigged the throttle up to give me some extra RPM when I need it. I'd been used and abused and still works perfect.

Edit: I have had one issue, the auto choke lever tends to get stuck in the on position sometimes. Easily remedied by manipulating it by hand. Not sure if the new machines have the same style, I seem to remember them changing the choke a few years after I bought mine.

I have a Troy Bilt with the Honda 160 engine with self propelled purchased from Lowe's and it has been a very good mower. I believe I purchased it in 2008. Never been in the shop but I do maintain it well.

I have one. I bought it in 2012 and it's never not started. I have since quit mowing my yard cause i hate it so it hasn't been used. My father in law has a one year old cadet that won't start. He said it was probably bad gas. I took it and drained the tank and fuel bowl and added fresh gas. It didn't look like bad gas. It won't start but it looks brand new. So I got out my mower. It hasn't run in two years. It fired right up. It ran like crap because it really had bad gas. I had to keep the choke open until it started running on its own but now it runs fine again. He's using it now.

I bought my younger sister the MTD made Cub Cadet with the same engine. Model SC100H. Non self propelled.
I like that it has a fuel shut off valve. High wheel mowers take more effort to tilt and is probably why Consumers Reports gives the MTD Cub Cadet a better rating than the MTD Troy Bilt.

Buy at a Cub Cadet dealer. https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/push-mowers/sc-100-h/11A-A2AQ710.html

[Linked Image]

Back