Trouble with Napa Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to take a wix off of our Subaru(cross ref'd mazda rx8 application - longer can, thats all). It was weeping oil onto the cat and exhaust - put on a honeywell OEM subaru and NP. When I worked as a mechanic I had three leaky filters; 2 puroleakers/motorcrapt (can-to-base crimp weepage) and one wix (undetermined). I think overtorquing the flat gasket types can deform the gasket and walk it out of its "track" - so I wouldnt go to wild on the filter cap wrench.

I had a NAPA Gold filter that was cross threaded .

Was changing oil on my old Celica....took off the old filter , got the new filter out of the box and was ready to apply oil to the rubber gasket when I noticed the threads were all messed up on the filter.....brand new unopened box. The tap from the factory must have been off .....geeeesh.
I know the gang at NAPA.....they were surprised at the messy tap job too.....probably one in a million but huh?
They gave me another filter of course.....BUT from now on , I open the box while I'm still in the store just to check the threads.
Like I said....one in a million.
BOB

PS NAPA and Mobil 1 filters are #1 in my book.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I have a feeling that the evolution from "just do it hand tight" to the aligning the letter points after gasket contact was due to people having different definitions of "hand tight".

Ya...From plows and throwing hay bales to PC's and board meetings.
Hand tight ain't what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
It was weeping oil onto the cat and exhaust

Please explain how an oil filter weeps oil into the cat and exhaust.

These threads are giving me second thoughts on using a WIX for my next OC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
It was weeping oil onto the cat and exhaust

Please explain how an oil filter weeps oil into the cat and exhaust.

on, not in

There is nothing wrong with WIX/NG filters!! every brand has a few bad ones slip by,rest assure their quality made filters.

Originally Posted By: daman

There is nothing wrong with WIX/NG filters!! every brand has a few bad ones slip by,rest assure their quality made filters.

I agree there's nothing wrong with Wix/NG filters. IMHO, the reason these threads gain traction in the first place is because the rare lapse in quality control (and every manufacturer has them) is what makes it noteworthy. ("You believing that, Slim, a bad Wix filter! D*mn! Get that reporter at The Washington Post on the line!")

If the NAPA store I purchased the filter from offers a replacement filter, I'll probably take it.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

If the NAPA store I purchased the filter from offers a replacement filter, I'll probably take it.

Good man
thumbsup2.gif
..there great filters,i've used tons of them in the past,just bought 2 cases back in March when they had there spring filter sale.

Been using NG's since I have done my own oil changes on my cars... I've never had an issue. Sucks, but as all other people here have said, it happens. Their product is great 99.9% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back