Tried some NuFinish today...Not bad!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: panthermike
I'm going to be giving the NuFinish a shot soon on Ol Yellar. I have a question though, and thought I'd just ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Per their directions, you apply with a damp cloth. Can you use an orbital to apply? Just curious why they say damp cloth to apply.

Ha, a vehicle named Ol Yellar, nice. If I had a car/truck named "Ol Yellar", he surely would be getting the awesome Duragloss #501. Gotta feed Ol Yellar the good stuff
grin.gif

Just curious why they say damp cloth to apply.
makes waxes/polishes spread easier. All manufacturers recommend it that I am aware of. I use quick detailer instead of water though.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nu finish is an equivalent of Fram filters. All internet experts hate them. Must be the orange color
lol.gif

If it's equivialent to Fram filters then it must suck...

I'm going to be giving the NuFinish a shot soon on Ol Yellar. I have a question though, and thought I'd just ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Per their directions, you apply with a damp cloth. Can you use an orbital to apply? Just curious why they say damp cloth to apply.

Yes you can use an orbital. Initially spray the pad with a little water to dampen it. Slow speeds initially to avoid slinging stuff everywhere.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nu finish is an equivalent of Fram filters. All internet experts hate them. Must be the orange color
lol.gif

Not just Internet experts but also real car detailing forums dislike Nufinish. If you're going to buy your sealant from Wal-mart and then NuFinish is probably your best option. It does have good longevity, however it does stain trim like a lot of cleaner waxes.

Detailing snobs remind me of Beer snobs and Wine snobs. They all have the best answer about the very best products to use. Or to consume.
Yet its all based on opinion.

Heres my opinion, if it tastes good or works good for you, thats all that matters.
I personally don't want to waste an entire weekend slaving over my vehicle with my orbital and an assortment of Clay Bars, polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes, and quick detailers. And thats just the outside..... In my youth I'd LOVE doing that stuff, and it was great back then. But what I found is that it still snows, it still rains, and dirt still gets on the car. And the supposed level of protection from brand X to brand Y was minimal. All needed reapplication within similar periods of time, and 99.99999% of the population do not have the discerning eye that some have. Only the truly obsessed. These days I have other things to do. Yet a quick wash, a quick application of Nu Finish or ANY other sealer or wax is substantial and well enough for most people.

Now, if you really want to see an obsessed crowd....check out those oil guru's!

Originally Posted By: bustednutz

All needed reapplication within similar periods of time, and 99.99999% of the population do not have the discerning eye that some have.

Meh, I think there are a lot more "car guys" out there than you believe, that's why the auto detail product industry is highly profitable, because there are tons of people out there that love taking care of their cars and aren't happy with the mainstream mediocre NuFinish look.

But then again, if someone is driving a swirled up minivan slathered some OTC wax from autozone, then they probably have no need for this detailing section or any decent product for that matter. From what I have seen, 99.999% of the people that refer to other's as snobs are generally the snobs themselves. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

A box of wine, some Natty Ice and a tub of NuFinish, that's all I need to get the Pinto ready for the car show
cool.gif

Detailing snobs remind me of Beer snobs and Wine snobs. They all have the best answer about the very best products to use. Or to consume.

Heres my opinion, if it tastes good or works good for you, thats all that matters.
I personally don't want to waste an entire weekend slaving over my vehicle with my orbital and an assortment of Clay Bars, polishes, glazes, sealants, waxes, and quick detailers. And thats just the outside..... In my youth I'd LOVE doing that stuff, and it was great back then. But what I found is that it still snows, it still rains, and dirt still gets on the car. And the supposed level of protection from brand X to brand Y was minimal. All needed reapplication within similar periods of time, and 99.99999% of the population do not have the discerning eye that some have. Only the truly obsessed. These days I have other things to do. Yet a quick wash, a quick application of Nu Finish or ANY other sealer or wax is substantial and well enough for most people.

Now, if you really want to see an obsessed crowd....check out those oil guru's!

It's a common misconseption that using "the good stuff" requires more time and work...it doesn't...it takes no longer to apply Collinite, Duragloss, or Zaino than it does to apply Nufinish...saying otherwise is just an excuse to use the cheap stuff....

Chris has posted his NuFinish photos. Where are your Collinite, Duragloss or Zaino pictures which shows them to be better?

Even though I like Duragloss, I am NOT going to knock down NuFinish without first trying their current version. I suggest you do the same too.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Chris has posted his NuFinish photos. Where are your Collinite, Duragloss or Zaino pictures which shows them to be better?

Even though I like Duragloss, I am NOT going to knock down NuFinish without first trying their current version. I suggest you do the same too.

- Vikas

Pictures won't show you what's better about the good stuff...only using them will...and I don't need to try Nufinish (though I have in the past), I'm already using the good stuff...

I think Nufinish is the best OTC product you can buy. Look at the pics. It's durable and has some cleaning ability. I currently use Duragloss #101 but if I had to grab something off the shelf NF would be my go to.

I used to laugh at the Zymol hype, then I was given half a bottle to try. It's good, not the" bestis in the world," but good. Wally World actually has it at a good price. Ya don't need much of it. Consumer Reports, however, always rates NuFinish well, so it seems it is a good product.

Last edited:
I've used a ton of products, mostly the hyped and higher priced stuff. Currently I am using duragloss, which is reasonably priced and performs well. However, last year I was in a pinch and used nu finish for my winter prep. For $7 it wowed me. Durable, pretty good look, slick, and easy to use. For giggles, I might use it again this winter, topped with collinite 845.

I like DG products a lot, but they can be a bit fussy to work with. I think the above combo, along with Meguiars UQW, will be a good, cheap combo.

I wouldn't jump on people who look down on NuFinish as snobs, just because they want something better. It really is the Old Milwaukee of car waxes. Sometimes, an Old Milwaukee is fine for the occasion. Right there with Liquid Glass and a few others.

I have not used NuFinish in a decade because I found something better at that time and they stayed with Meguiars/DuraGloss.

BUT, I have no problem believing that current generation of NuFinish can be as good as MG or DG products based on Chris' pictures.

I go by science and not by religion.

Several years back I posted several pictures of cars with a fresh coat of wax and asked folks to guess what I used. Everyone guessed all the high end stuff. When I posted this picture, heads exploded....LOL(picture was taken in a dark garage so it is not the best)
100_0267.jpg

Been to car shows to and asked folks to guess what was on the car. Everyone was shocked to learn it was NuFinish. I don't work for them or tied to them in any way. After using every single wax/sealant on the market as a professional detailer for 15 years, I just feel NuFinish is the best balance of protection, durability and shine. Yes, there are better products for pure depth and shine but not for protection and longevity(some come close).
These days I'm more concerned with pure protection and durability and nothing lasts as long as NuFinish. By the way that picture of the Volvo with the clouds on the hood was after a rain storm. Those beads of water were still tight after 9 months of daily driving and sitting outside. It was like the paint was just waxed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back