Tried Different Oils with very different results. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 94 Saturn SL1 that I purchased over the summer. At the moment I've just rolled past 160k Miles. I've had some prety strange luck with the different oils I've tried and was wondering if anyone has any input.

As you may know, the twin cam saturn engine is known as an oil burner. However, this is not usually true with the single cam engine. Initially when I got this car it was noticibly burning oil(could see smoke). but now, after 4 changes there is no smoke and a leak had developed(but was fixed by an oil additive by STP). Here's my luck with the different oils.

First change:
Mobil1 5w30 for higher mileage engines:
This oil got burned very quickly(2 quarts in the first 2k) and I ended up adding 2 quarts of 20w50 to the oil to try to slow it down. This was all in vain but it took me to the 3k mark. Smoke was noticibly lower.

Second change:
Shell 10w40:
This oil was recommended to me by an old timer at autozone and was on sale for $.79/qt. The consumption of this oil was very low(less than a quart for the 3k) and smoke was less than before.

Third change:
Mobil Drive Clean 5w30:
This oil was on sale at the local murrays auto parts store. They were out of the higher weights of it and the guy there said I'm lucky I didn't kill my engine with the 10w40. This oil was burned much less than the mobil1 5w30 (about 1qt per 3k).

4th change:
Mobil1 10w30:
Recommended by the nice fellow at Advanced Auto this oil has been in the pan for about 1900 miles. There is no sign of smoke at all anymore but now I've noticed a significant drip on my driveway about 400 miles after the change. I added another quart of this oil to top it off along with a bottle of STP Stop Engine Oil Leak. The leak is gone completely and the oil level has not changed since about 500 miles after adding that additive.

Now, I am looking for a good oil to use for my next change. With so many different high mileage oils on the market and everyone seeming to think maxlife is not good I am lost as to where to go to keep the engine going smoothly and to try not to get the leaks back. I am now pretty aware that I should stay away from synthetic oils. They seem to clean the engine very well but lack the properties that protect seals. Everyone seems to be down on the STP stuff and thinks the leak will come back. Is there any higher mileage oil that still stands up to it's designation?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any help you can provide.

--Matt

I am finding Castrol High Mileage 10w-30 pretty decent on my 88 Lincoln, oil consumption is definitely lower, seems to leak much less too. I tried it because my consumption and leakage was higher than I wanted on this car. The oil costs more than the average, but it seems to be working for me. I like it.

well yea synthetic oils are great..but they do lack certain things...on high milage engines they shouldnt be used unless u know what u are doing. i agree that ur car needs a 10w-30 oil becuase its an older car and ur burning more oil...

i am a first time user to mobil drive clean. i really like it..yet it hasnt stopped my oil leak. my oil leak is from the seal itself..i donno if ne thing can stop it...but it helped a little becuase when i had castrol in it it was leaking alot.

there are various forums here that talk about the types of oil and each companies abilities to make a good oil. there are soo many and alot has bad stuff and good stuff. there is many forums on good oil filters which is a must to clean up ur oil (i use bosh)...

haha i know there is soO many to choose from..personally i think that mobil 1 is a good oil. its not the top of the line but it works...and it smells good..

high milage oils on the market are very werid to me. i think in some forum they discussed that they have a high concentration in a certain element but some high milage oils are less effective on the engine than a normal oil. i just use a regular oil...to be safe...and frequent oil changes with filter changes.

Dont use oil flushes btw....

i think the best oil is the one that BOB introduces which is shaeffers or amsoil...i think bob uses sheffers but only can be orderd i believe...every test he has done worked really well...

o and dont use additives...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/basic_lubrication_design.htm

i used to use additives (restore all i used to use) and it was blue..come to find out on this site it contained a high concentration of solids...i learned that oils are already performing at their best to work and an additive may depelete the oil...so now i stopped using it...bob set me straight...

so what is the verdict on high mileage oils? I hear moly is good, are there any high mileage(or regular) oils that still contain this? I was very happy with the mobil drive clean, the engine was just not happy at that time. I'm thinking using the synthetic oils cleaned the engine out to some degree. The oil burning is not present anymore(havn't lost any level on the dipstick for ~1000 miles). Do you think it may be a good idea to give drive clean another go? And what are the temp ranges for 10w40's. Most people I talk to seem to think 10w40 is the best choice for me. I also noticed synthetic blends, anything special to the way these perform?

--Matt

Do an Auto-Rx clean and then a 10/15W40 or 15W50 even. High mileage engines dont appreciate CAFE oil viscosities. And for the wally who said 10W40 could have "killed your engine"? I wonder what he'd say about 25W70 then.

how many applications of Auto-RX should I order? This engine runs extremely well. I'm just not really happy with the consumption, then leaks. Auto-RX should fix that?

oh, also, if I do the auto-rx is there any particular driving technique I should use while it's in there?

--Matt

Matt,

I'd put in a bottle of AutoRX, along with 3.5 qts of fresh 10w-30 petroleum oil and a new filter. Run this combination for 300 miles, then change just the oil filter, topoff the crankcase and run the second filter for 700 miles before doing a complete change. It sounds like this engine is doing pretty well with a slightly heavier oil, so I'd stick with a 10w-40 high mileage formulation like the Valvoline or Castrol products, or a 5w-40 Group III "synthetic" like Petro Canada ....

TooSlick

Tooslick

I agree. Also I'm exploring multiple ArX cleans to see what effect it has on a vehicle. Nearly 1,000kms into 3rd clean. I intend to run this lot for 5,000kms and see the effects.

I think I may do that. But $24 is kinda steep for that stuff. I'm curious how engine restore works. I see someone else on the board is sending BOBISTHEOILGUY a sample to test on berings.

--Matt

5w30 mobil 1 is not the 'high mileage vehicle formula'.. it is the 'newer vehicle formula'.. please clarify which viscosity you were really using.

Matt,

1) Yes, Auto-Rx is expensive. If it works (removes dirt, sludge, varnish, frees rings stuck with carbon in the ring groove, cleans coked turbocharger bearings, etc), it's worth it. If it doesn't work, you get a refund.

2) RESTORE claims to fill worn spots on your engine's cylinder walls and improve compression. A test might be to take compression readings on each cylinder before and after using RESTORE.

3) Many diesel engine oils are dual rated for gasoline engines. They'll have an API-SJ or SL gasoline engine rating. Often they work very well in hard worked gasoline engines due to their robust additive package.

Ken

[ November 16, 2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Ken ]

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
5w30 mobil 1 is not the 'high mileage vehicle formula'.. it is the 'newer vehicle formula'.. please clarify which viscosity you were really using.

actually you are wrong. the Mobil1 bottle clearly said 5w30 and "for higher mileage engines". perhaps they have changed that line around some.

Ken: Is there any advantage to using the diesel oils in higher mileage gas engines?

--Matt

[ November 17, 2002, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

Matt,

I have been involved with synthetic lubricants for over twenty years and work as a propulsion/materials engineer, primarily with polymer based materials. AutoRX is far and away the best product I have found to clean pre-existing deposits from dirty engines and to control seal leaks. I used it based on Terry Dysons recommendation and it worked exactly as advertised. Spending $25.00 for something that actually works is dirt cheap ....

As for using diesel oils in a gas engines, I would recommend that in some cases, depending on the particular application. But I don't think I'd run anything heavier than a 5w-40 in this Saturn engine. You could try the Rotella T, 5w-40, Group III synthetic that is available at Walmart - this may help control the oil consumption to some degree.

TooSlick

hmm, I've seen valvoline 5w40 synthetic. I'll have to check out wall mart for this one you speak of. How is that oil in terms of additive package and price?

--Matt

aah, now I see shell makes that rotella oil. I think I may have seen a Devlac1 in the 5w40 also. Would you recommend a diesel oil in this application in that lighter weight?

--Matt

Matt,

Yes, I think I'd try it, given the # of miles on the engine and the amount of oil consumption you are seeing. Delvac 1 is an excellent product as well...it is highly detergent and will do a great job of cleaning out the inside of this engine.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:

actually you are wrong. the Mobil1 bottle clearly said 5w30 and "for higher mileage engines". perhaps they have changed that line around some.

Ken: Is there any advantage to using the diesel oils in higher mileage gas engines?

--Matt

buddy, straight from the mobil 1 website:

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 –
Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 –
Newer Vehicle Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 –
Performance Driving Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 –
Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 –
European Car Formula