Tried Different Oils with very different results. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
k, I'm gonna go running around and try to find a good 5w40 diesel oil somewhere locally.

--Matt

ok, I got some shell rotella full synthetic 5w40 oil. This should definitely be no problem in a gas engine. It says right on the bottle that it is approved for use in gasoline engines. And the price cannot be beat at $12.88/gallon! I'll try to get this into the engine sometime next week. I'm sick of fram filters, the last one I cut open was in pieces inside(filter material became separated from the cardboard). Should I get an AC filter for this car? The place I usually buy things from has WIX filters also. Whanks for all your help everyone!

--Matt

should this oil be good for a decent amount of mileage in my car? I don't really know how long oil like this should last.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
ok, I got some shell rotella full synthetic 5w40 oil. This should definitely be no problem in a gas engine. It says right on the bottle that it is approved for use in gasoline engines. And the price cannot be beat at $12.88/gallon! I'll try to get this into the engine sometime next week. I'm sick of fram filters, the last one I cut open was in pieces inside(filter material became separated from the cardboard). Should I get an AC filter for this car? The place I usually buy things from has WIX filters also. Whanks for all your help everyone!

I'd run the Rotella Synthetic 6 months or 6000 miles. I'm using it in my van, and that's the interval I plan to use.

As far as filters, Wix makes good ones. But if you got the Rotella for $12.88, you probably got it at Wal-Mart. Try their SuperTech filters. They are made by Champion and are virtually identical to the more expensive Bosch filters Champion also makes. And the price is right at $1.97.

hmm, I almost got one and then didn't. I saw the numbering convention is the same as fram's and got scared. How are AC filters?

--Matt

probably a dumb question but the place I go to also sells the K&N oil filters. They are expensive but do they have any benefit over the regular filters of decent quality?

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
probably a dumb question but the place I go to also sells the K&N oil filters. They are expensive but do they have any benefit over the regular filters of decent quality?

--Matt

I personally think the K&Ns are one of the best filters out there! They are built with extremely good materials and flow a lot of oil. They don't filter down as fine as the PureONE or Mobil 1, but I think this is a good thing, as they'll stop just enough dirt to keep engine wear low, but they'll still flow more oil. I've got a K&N on my wife's car, and next oil change my Firebird gets one.

Matt,

I'd go with 7500 mile/6 month change intervals ....Any synlube you can't run for at least 7500 miles isn't worth the money, IMNSHO. The Rotella has a TBN of about 10, so it should do just fine.

TooSlick

excellent. I'm gonna go to walmart and pick up 3 of those filters and 4 quarts of the cheapest 10w30 dino oil I can find. Auto-RX is on order. I figure I'll do the Auto-RX job the way TooSlick recommended. How long after the Auto-RX job do I need to run dino oil?

--Matt

hmm, perhaps I should just wait till sumer to run the autorx. it's snowing outside.

--Matt

ok, I put the rotella 5w40 in along with a SuperFlow filter I picked up locally. This superflow filter looks prety high tech. It has some sort of spring loaded device at the end of it(assumably a bypass valve) and cost only $2.59 from murrays. I feel better not having a fram filter in my car.

--Matt

ahaa! the SuperFlow filter is actually a Purolator Premium Plus. This should be ok for a while.

--Matt

WOW! what a difference. Thanks a lot to whoever recommended this Rotella. My engine starts right up when cold and runs really smoothly all the time now. I really appreciate your help!

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back