Transmission flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'd like to start off with saying I did use the search function and I was suprised nothing came up on this, not that I'm complaining. So anyways I've been thinking of flushing my transmission on the truck in my signature. I've had the pan dropped and refiled once at 15000 mi. And at 30000 and both times the magnet was very clean per the tech at the shop. I'd go back to them except the last time I was there for a ball joint the people in there just didn't give me the same on the ball vibe they previously had. So my question is how safe would a flush from a dealership be, seeing as the one trans shop I knew of for being honest told me they do not use mercon V like whats speced. I'd do it my self but I'm scared to touch a automatic transmission outside of checking the level. So I'm curious what you guys and gals would suggest. The truck currently has 65000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I would suggest you just do a drain and fill.

Transmission flushes using the real McCoy machine AND THE CORRECT CLEANING FLUID do help with an old box, but hang onto your wallet and count your fingers.

The drain and refill is honestly my first choice but the dealerships don't seem to offer it. And I'm afraid a independent shop will use a one size fits all fluid and even lie about it. I can't afford to have this truck go down lol that's why I try to keep her running her best its way cheaper.

Last edited:
but this transmission has been maintained and does not have a lot of miles on it.

Mcrn I couldn't agree with you more but I want to make sure it gets the correct fluid. I'm not even concerned about the brand so much as long as its mercon V

Dealers wont drop the pan and change the fluid and filter? Wow.

If they do the flush, do they swap a filter in at some point?

Many shops will use fluid that you source. An indy that takes your fluid is a great choice.

You can siphon from the dipstick tube if there is no drain plug in the pan. (And you do not want to drop the pan.)A MityVac would be handy for that and buying a MityVac would be cheaper than going to anyone. Get the right ATF, I am sure several companies have one that meets the specs. I would consider Amsoil myself.

A Magnefine inline filter would be a good $20 investment also.

Yeah, I didn't see anything at the dealership offering the drop just the flush the mity vac might be a good option. I supose I could even mark off the side of it in pints to know exactly how much to put back in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Dealers wont drop the pan and change the fluid and filter? Wow.

If they do the flush, do they swap a filter in at some point?

Many shops will use fluid that you source. An indy that takes your fluid is a great choice.

Ford only recommends changing the filter if internal work is done to the transmission. A dealer will do it, you just have to push them, we do them all the time.

The ones I have seen already have marks on them. It does not have a drain plug im assuming?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
The ones I have seen already have marks on them. It does not have a drain plug im assuming?

Nope, you have to drop the pan. They do make aftermarket pans with a drain plug, as well as an OEM pan for U-Haul 4R70W's.

I go even cheaper than mity vac for vehicles that don't have plugs. Just buy a a good plastic oil pump such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL4344-Fl...=quart+oil+pump

Then buy 3-4 feet of vinyl hose from home depot for the bottom, feed it down the dipstick tube and go to town. You can use an old measuring cup or empty quart bottle to measure off with. That Sta-Lube pump works really well, I've been using mine for three years now.

And with the sta-lub it looks like I'd have to keep pumping until its dry. But less money and less space taken up. I guess that's another thought. And for fluid its gonna be a toss up between super tech or castrol, since I heard valvolines is only recommended and isn't a licensed mercon V

I've thought about the cooler line method but I'm concerned about running the pump low or even dry causing problems down the road

If you follow the procedure carefully there is no dry run on the pump.

I have fleet trucks here with 250k miles on the original trans that have had this procedure done several times. Each time you start the vehicle the pump primes itself anyway, a few seconds will not hurt it.

My wife's 2005 Explorer owned from new has had trans fluid changes done at 25,000 miles and every 25,000 to 30,000 miles there after. First one kept the original filter the others were pan drop fluid & complete fluid @ filter change. Her trans runs great at 130,00 miles.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back