Transmission fluid in engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I collect honey, the honeycomb is never full of sludge, varnish, or any partial combustion products. Maybe honey is a good cleaner.

quote:

Originally posted by GreeCguy:
...I'd be glad to take it off his hands and pour it in the "LuvMachine."

I had a "LuvMachine" once. Just like this one only white.
wink.gif
grin.gif

-

Smear my face with honey and roll me in an ant hill!!! That's my car!!! - I had a green one till about three years ago - 73 Caddy 472 V-8 - got about 8 miles to the gallon - But man, what a ride!

I love the fact that mine's green... On Earth Day I start it and let it idle for one hour...
grin.gif

-

Castrol HM 10W40, incidentally...

In the old days we mixed ATF in our oil to help free stuck lifters, just to clean an dirty engine up.8 ozs. of ATF in no way will harm anything. ATF is a very high detergent oil. Send it to me I'll use it if you won't.

quote:

Originally posted by NEPA_Z:
Castrol HM 10W40, incidentally...

Gee...it's been so long, I don't remember what I put in it oilwise. Love that shot of the 472-500. Back when there were virtually no SUVs, you owned the road. The quintessential Yank-Tank.
grin.gif

Put one of these on your Christmas wish list:
 -

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
Over the years it has been very common to use ATF as a cleaner in engine oil. It did work. I've seen lifter noise go away many times with a pint of ATF added to the engine oil.

Today, the oil is better and there are better additives so I would avoid it. If I discovered some ATF in engine oil, I would not be the least bit worried. I would use it. I just would not make a habbit of it.

It was used, IIRC, as a thinning agent and was a TSB (I think before there was a need for TSB's) for SBCs that would have lifter noises. From there it was assumed, in a false cause and effect way, that it cleaned.

quote:

Originally posted by oilcan:
ATF is a very high detergent oil.

Actually, I believe ATF's are much lower in detergents (Calcium, magnessium, barium, phosphates) than Motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back