Oil drain plug washer on Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plastic and nylon washers work well. The lower unit o-rings in the gear case on my 3 outboard motors use these. They seal very well. If they did not, the gear cases would be full of saltwater.

The best thing I ever did was get the Fumoto Valve that comes with a Blue Washer(dont really know whats it made from but it felt like Nylon) I dont ever have to worry about a washer and draining the oil is very easy. I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to make their lives easier when changing the oil.

my camry has a vynil / plastic washer for the oil sump. they always get stuck to the pan, and I have to use a flat head screwdriver to get it off. Annoying as sometimes there is a little bit you can't really get off! replace it every time.

the ATF pan uses a flat washer, but the dealer gave me a crush washer last time i picked one up. he didn't know which one to use. i'm guessing either would be fine.

Originally Posted By: Smitty
I have a 2002 Camry 4 cyl., changed the oil 20+ times, never used a washer, never leaked a drop in 93,000 miles.

Next oil change check and see if that washer is stuck on the pan.
Probably is, and is providing a good seal as well.
Just for our info. Wouldn't want somebody putting a new washer on top of an old one. If you've done all the changes since new, it'll provide a good reference for others.

Where I work we use A aluminum crush washer with Teflon coating on all Toyota vehicles...

I agree with it sticking to the pan, can't count the number of washers I've had to get off the pan before replacement - and we replace them every oil change.

copper, aluminum crush washer, or the felpro ones are all good. I'd put one on there for sure, otherwise it'll leak oil (very slowly) and the bolt could come loose.

Originally Posted By: TLMjared
Where I work we use A aluminum crush washer with Teflon coating on all Toyota vehicles...

Where can I buy the washers that you are using?

I'll admit not sure, we get them from SOSMETAL
or see if your local Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express can give you one - they should have plenty as they replace plugs and washers for free with lube services :)

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
Lost the washer for the oil drain bolt on my 1987 Jetta years ago. Just put it on without a washer. Doesn't leak with no washer -- so I'm good to go. I doubt the washer will make any difference.

but does the washer just prevent leaks? or are they for keeping the plug a certain distance from the pan so as to not stretch pan threads? - granted pan threads will wear slowly anyways - or a combination of these or other reasons...

Originally Posted By: dennisny
Bring the bolt with you to the local parts store and pickup some nylon crushwashers

Or you could being in an old washer if you dont live within walking distance of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back