Transmission drain plug woes

Jeep Cherokees used a variant of that transmission. In fact the bellhousing and pump from the A343 gets used when people will put a Toyota / Lexus V8 into a Jeep. There's no aftermarket because these transmission are pretty much indestructible. Don't need to upgrade what doesn't fail.
+1

I had the same issue with the drain plug on my Jeep XJ with the AW4 (Toyota A340). I ended up just buying a new pan, and replacing the pan was a PITA. The pan itself was fine, but disconnecting it from the dipstick tube was a royal pain. Finding a new pan was more difficult than I thought it would be, because like SwampSurvivor said, they are so robust there is very little aftermarket support besides external coolers.

Jeep Cherokees used a variant of that transmission. In fact the bellhousing and pump from the A343 gets used when people will put a Toyota / Lexus V8 into a Jeep. There's no aftermarket because these transmission are pretty much indestructible. Don't need to upgrade what doesn't fail.
The transmission seems fine. Shifts very nice. The drain plug is the weak point, LOL.

Still surprised. You can find deep pans, aluminum pans, mag hytec pans, etc. for GM and ford stuff. I’d have thought someone would have capitalized on it at least for the showmanship, especially since there are so many options for snorkels and roof racks… lol.

Another vote for that oversized drain plug-- I got a Help! brand one for my Neon when I had a similar problem. It felt good going in, just the right amount of running torque as it cuts its slightly oversized threads.

Another vote for that oversized drain plug-- I got a Help! brand one for my Neon when I had a similar problem. It felt good going in, just the right amount of running torque as it cuts its slightly oversized threads.
The wild card is if there is enough meat in the soft female section to take an M12 oversized plug. Mess that up and we’re really screwed. So almost need to buy a replacement pan anyway before taking the chance…

While this won’t help you today, I always TIG weld a #4AN stainless male fitting on to my transmission pan at the first fluid change. This has the advantage of not trapping any fluid. A female cap is easy to deal with and needs no seal.

I assume you did a filter change w the pan off? If it is not leaking, I would leave it be and just siphon the fluid threw the dipstick hole every 20-30k miles. Drop the pan in another 100k miles and change the filter then. Would also rtv around the entire outside of the bolt as mentioned above too. If it leaks then tackle a new pan or drain bolt tap.

I assume you did a filter change w the pan off? If it is not leaking, I would leave it be and just siphon the fluid threw the dipstick hole every 20-30k miles. Drop the pan in another 100k miles and change the filter then. Would also rtv around the entire outside of the bolt as mentioned above too. If it leaks then tackle a new pan or drain bolt tap.
Not sure about this particular transmission, but I know the AW4 in my Jeep XJ which is basically a Toyota A340 the filter was a metal screen and not really worth changing. I instead added a magnefine filter in the cooler line.

stripped drain plugs are a common thing, unfortunately!!! while changing my haldex fluid in my 2001 TT i "partially" stripped the new plug i got for the service! i knew the small plug going into the alum housing was "touchy" + my poor hearing missed the clicker on my snap-on torque wrench! those not familiar with the procedure, you shove the caulking tube container after cutting the tip in the hole + dispense the premeasured lube then quickly put the plug in after pulling out the dispenser. i ended up using silicone on the threads + carefully snugged it + its holding, but due for another service, not sure of the plug size + will get another one + see what i can do, suggestions appreciated, maybe an oversize tap once i find out the OE size + check how much room there is for a different plug! searching shows an M10X1X10, 10mm X 1mm long X10 thread pitch seems odd but thats the europeans!! oversize suggestions appreciated!

stripped drain plugs are a common thing, unfortunately!!! while changing my haldex fluid in my 2001 TT i "partially" stripped the new plug i got for the service! i knew the small plug going into the alum housing was "touchy" + my poor hearing missed the clicker on my snap-on torque wrench! those not familiar with the procedure, you shove the caulking tube container after cutting the tip in the hole + dispense the premeasured lube then quickly put the plug in after pulling out the dispenser. i ended up using silicone on the threads + carefully snugged it + its holding, but due for another service, not sure of the plug size + will get another one + see what i can do, suggestions appreciated, maybe an oversize tap once i find out the OE size + check how much room there is for a different plug! searching shows an M10X1X10, 10mm X 1mm long X10 thread pitch seems odd but thats the europeans!! oversize suggestions appreciated!
M10 x 1.0 is extra fine and I've only ever seen it used on spark plugs, but it is "a thing." The tap is special order -- the average metric tap & die kit likely won't include it.

Back