Transmission cooler for Subaru CVT?

Hi guys,

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed some light offroading / hill climbs in our Outback today

I was wondering if the car would benefit from a trans cooler?

I change the fluid religiously, and also understand thw cvt needs a bit of heat to engage.
Would.a trans cooler parked behind the fan be a benefit on slow and longer treks?

Thanks

Ryan

I’ve always had good luck with the Long Tru-Cool (looks like they got bought recently?) coolers, they have a “stepped” passageway that acts like a cooler bypass when the fluid is cold and thick, limiting cooling, but as the fluid heats up and thins out it flows through the whole cooler. It’s less involved than using a thermostatic bypass.

NOW, I have never used one on a CVT, so I can’t recommend it from personal experience. I’ve used them on 3 of my 4EATs in other Subies. But no issues whatsoever and they’re built like tanks.

Hi guys,

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed some light offroading / hill climbs in our Outback today

I was wondering if the car would benefit from a trans cooler?

I change the fluid religiously, and also understand thw cvt needs a bit of heat to engage.
Would.a trans cooler parked behind the fan be a benefit on slow and longer treks?

Thanks

Ryan
I would search Subaru forums and check there. I know there are a lot of complains about CVT capability off-roading, especially when larger tires are involved.

Thanks guys! I was over at Subaruoutback.org and it was 50/50 on recommendations.

I may monitor my temps as someone suggested. I have an OBD scanner app I'll put to use and will report back

As far as the CVT performance offroad, man.....with the hill-hold and X-mode, I can stop on a dime both up and downhill and the car just grabs. It's pretty reassuring. Not QUITE the same feeling as my '05 Wrangler, but the Subie holds its own.

We're running stock sized 225-65-17 A/T's and didnt give up much weight

I’ve always had good luck with the Long Tru-Cool (looks like they got bought recently?) coolers, they have a “stepped” passageway that acts like a cooler bypass when the fluid is cold and thick, limiting cooling, but as the fluid heats up and thins out it flows through the whole cooler. It’s less involved than using a thermostatic bypass.

NOW, I have never used one on a CVT, so I can’t recommend it from personal experience. I’ve used them on 3 of my 4EATs in other Subies. But no issues whatsoever and they’re built like tanks.

I'll mention this to a friend.

Thats awesome. Thanks very much guys.

Honestly that makes a lot of sense for the CVT as initial warmth in the fluid is nessecary.....but beyond a certain temp in the upper range isnt ideal

Back