Transfer Oil Too Thick?

All -

I drained my front 4x4 transfer case, 2005 Grand Cherokee WK, this week and noticed the gear lube seemed thick....maybe an 85w-140?

The factory Mopar fill calls for 5016796 fluid (Mopar MS-10216) specifically for the front, which I used.

I am the second owner of the Jeep, currently at 94,000 miles. Dealer had records only for oil changes and the like...no driveline history.

My question: with the thick appearance of the old lube, should I be concerned about mechanical wear? I'm guessing someone previously used the same weight for front and rear.

After changing, the steering is much more responsive and less sluggish.

You said transfer case, but then mentioned front and rear. Can you clarify if you mean transfer case or front differential?

Reactions: 4WD
Not sure i can see how the steering became more responsive given it's the power steering pump that affects that and isn't affected by a gear oil change.

It was probably serviced at a facility that uses BG products. They recommend their Synchro Shift 2 for all manual transmissions and transfer cases. It’s a GL4 75w85 if I remember correctly. It’s a great product for part time T cases, I used it in my previous F150.

I personally wouldn’t use it in a full time/auto T case but that may just be me being paranoid.

Jeeps use a variety of fluids. It all depends on if it’s tow package, quadratrac quadradrive whatever they happened to call it in that year, etc.

A base 3.7 motor wk might be atf in the transfer case, but I don’t believe a 4.7 or 5.7 will be.

You sound like you’re worried about the front differential, though.

Rears were almost all 75-140. Fronts were either 75-140 or 80-90.

Front differential only.
There may be a problem, then. When I searched the lubricant you used, it came up as Transfer Case Lubricant. I looked in my Motor Lubes Guide, and your front diff needs a GL5 gear oil (depending on options, either 75W140 syn or 80W90).

Back