Lubricants for 2014 RAM 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 2014 RAM 1500 with the eco-diesel, at 60,000 miles, it has been recommended to have some of the fluids changed. Dealer is very expensive, front differential $56.50/qt calls for 1.1 liters so 2 quarts would have to be bought. Transfer case 2 quarts at $31 a quart, and finally rear diff 2.16 liters so 3 quarts at 21.41 a quart. Also slip additive 5 ounces price at $8.20. The slip additive I have no problem with it's the other lubricants seem to be a little pricey. The truck's manual states

Front diff Mopar GL-5 synthetic axle lubricant SAE 75W-85
Transfer case Mopar BW44-44 transfer case fluid
Rear diff Mopar synthetic gear lube 75W-140 (ms-8985)

What could he use in place of the above? Or is there somewhere on the internet to buy the Mopar fluids at a better price.
Thanks in advance.

He can always buy the fluids himself and have a local indy mechanic do the work for a fraction of what the dealer charges. Esp since this is maintenance and not some complicated repair. He can always stand around to watch and make sure the work is done if there's any question of that. Maybe even have them do an oil change if he doesn't do his own. Check Amazon, ebay, dealer parts depts for pricing on the them.

Also add a drain/fill for the trans, pan drop or line-off exchange for it.

Last edited:
My son has an extended bumper to bumper warranty on the truck and a life time on the drive train. He wanted to make sure not to screw that up. If it's standard gear oil for the front and back that will not be a problem. I had a quick discussion with the service manager at the dealership and she stated it's life time on the tranny fluid no change required. If the tranny were to go out they would just replace it and not even rebuild the old one because of the cost of the rebuild. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
My son has an extended bumper to bumper warranty on the truck and a life time on the drive train. He wanted to make sure not to screw that up. If it's standard gear oil for the front and back that will not be a problem. I had a quick discussion with the service manager at the dealership and she stated it's life time on the tranny fluid no change required. If the tranny were to go out they would just replace it and not even rebuild the old one because of the cost of the rebuild. Thanks for the info.

Sent you a PM
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back