Trans Filter Brand Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a difference between brands of trans filters?? OEM best route? or aftermarked just as good? worse? better?

My application is 02 Explorer and 04 F-150 specifically....but I'm asking genrally as well.

thanks.

Filtran makes the Motorcraft filters.

I think these filters are less critical than oil filters. After all, they only require changing at 120k.

When I changed the filter on my Mercury, the factory filter said "Filtran" on it and looked EXACTLY like the Purolator filter I used (which also said "Filtran" on it).

Last edited:
Another good sign that you are getting the OEM filter is if it does NOT come with a new gasket.

Ford's gasket is reuseable so OEM filter "kits" do not include a new one.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Another good sign that you are getting the OEM filter is if it does NOT come with a new gasket.

The cork gasket I pulled off my ranger was reusable? Wish I would have kept it the ATP one is leaking and I can't get it to stop.

Originally Posted By: chevys10

The cork gasket I pulled off my ranger was reusable? Wish I would have kept it the ATP one is leaking and I can't get it to stop.

Cork ones aren't. That cork one may be aftermarket.

The original one that came on my Taurus worked fine when reused

I believe that Filtran makes a lot of other brand filters.Not too many outfits gear up for tranny filters so they farm them out.

Originally Posted By: chevys10

Cork ones aren't. That cork one may be aftermarket.

The original one that came on my Taurus worked fine when reused

Cork one was OEM....it had the metal plugs in it that everyone thought were coming from the trans but were actually there to prevent crushing the gasket. Ranger has the 4R44E in the 2.3.

The pan gasket on my F150 was reusable, my Ram uses RTV which I am not totally comfortable with just yet. I used a gasket last time, this time it didnt come with a gasket (different kit I guess) so I lightly RTV it. No leaks so far.

I have the 4R70W and it has the elastomer gasket. I ask about the filter because I'm going to put on a PML oversize trans pan. Would like to know best filter still good for longest period of time.

I did some research on this a while back and learned the FILTRAN branded filters are 80um, which is about as good as it gets for a pan filter. I don't know the specs for any other brands but SPX Filtran supplies some of the best ATR filter media and it's used by a number of other mfrs. I had some contact with two engineers at Filtran, which is how I got the 80um number. My thinking was that I would go with the brand I know the specs for, especially since that's about as good as it gets. Many pan aftermarket pan filters are 100um.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I did some research on this a while back and learned the FILTRAN branded filters are 80um, which is about as good as it gets for a pan filter. I don't know the specs for any other brands but SPX Filtran supplies some of the best ATR filter media and it's used by a number of other mfrs. I had some contact with two engineers at Filtran, which is how I got the 80um number. My thinking was that I would go with the brand I know the specs for, especially since that's about as good as it gets. Many pan aftermarket pan filters are 100um.

Do they use the same media(80um)for all of their felt type internal AT filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back