Trans, differential, and transfer case fluid change. 2016 GM 2500HD

Greetings, I have lurked these pages for a long time, but don't post much. Just trying to learn as much as I can.

Vehicle in question is a 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD, 4x4, gas (L96/6L90E). I am at 22,500 miles, and planning to change all drivetrain fluids. Currently running RGT 5w30 in the engine, will be switching to something else once my stash of RGT dwindles. Any recommendations for the trans, T-case, and diffs? I also have had trouble finding fluid capacities for this truck, as the gas model 2500 has a smaller rear axle than the diesel. I know there are some on here with a similar truck, and many with more knowledge on the subject than myself, and I would appreciate your opinions.

I use the truck for my 15 mile commute, and to occasionally tow a T250 skidsteer (about 13.5k lbs. total). Thanks for reading!

changing all drivetrain lubes to Redline REAL synthetics netted me 3 mpgs in my 2011 frontier SV. i opted for the lighter 75-90 in the Nissan Dana rear after reading on the Dana web site. OE was 75-140 semi synthetic.

Do you have any recommendations on which ATF to use in the transmission and T-case? Amsoil seems a bit steep at $39/gal, when Maxlife is less than half that. Do you guys think it is necessary? With engine oil, I am in the camp of "buy cheap and change around 5k".

Again, I appreciate the guidance.

Do you have any recommendations on which ATF to use in the transmission and T-case? Amsoil seems a bit steep at $39/gal, when Maxlife is less than half that. Do you guys think it is necessary? With engine oil, I am in the camp of "buy cheap and change around 5k".

To me, the transmission doesn't get changed as often so use a high-quality fluid-like AMSOIL. My 2002 Silverdo I had I used AMSOIL ATF in it and the UOA was good with 100k miles on the fluid. That is even towing a 4k lb enclosed trailer up and down the interstate.

I have 211,000 miles on my 6L90E transmission and T case using Dexron VI, changing every 50,000 miles. Most of the time is was genuine AC Delco Dexron VI in the blue bottle.

I have 211,000 miles on my 6L90E transmission and T case using Dexron VI, changing every 50,000 miles.
I appreciate your input. Did you do your first change early?

What is your method for changing? Full flush, or spill and fill? Do you change the trans filter?

I appreciate your input. Did you do your first change early?

What is your method for changing? Full flush, or spill and fill? Do you change the trans filter?
I did not do an early change. First one was at 50,000 miles. For the first 3 changes, I had the dealer do a pan drop, filter change and flush with the machine. For the last three years, I pull out 4 litres through the fill tube with a vac ( four is the max that will come out) once a year and fill with Dex VI. I have a pan drop planned for next summer, but I have access to a hoist. I’m not fussy about the flush ( I won’t argue for or against). The magnet inside the pan needs to be cleaned, otherwise you’ll reduce its efficiency. I think that first pan drop and filter change is important. Good luck. :)

I did not do an early change. First one was at 50,000 miles. For the first 3 changes, I had the dealer do a pan drop, filter change and flush with the machine. For the last three years, I pull out 4 litres through the fill tube with a vac ( four is the max that will come out) once a year and fill with Dex VI. I have a pan drop planned for next summer, but I have access to a hoist. I’m not fussy about the flush ( I won’t argue for or against). The magnet inside the pan needs to be cleaned, otherwise you’ll reduce its efficiency. I think that first pan drop and filter change is important. Good luck. :)
Thanks! I really appreciate the guidance.

Back