Tranny fluid

Have a fresh rebuild on my 727 automatic tranny. What fluid would u recommend?

Some folks like to use Type F for firmer shifts, Dex/Merc is closer to what was originally called for, ATF+4 is acceptable because Chrysler dealers don't carry Dex/Merc anymore and Chrysler tested ATF+4 and said it works well enough. I'd be inclined to use cheap DEX/MERC or Aliison TES-295 approved fluid if you want a higher quality synthetic.

The good news is you can use virtually anything and be fine. I would probably use whatever the cheapest general atf you can get. Maybe supertech dex or something similar.

In addition to all the suggestions above - what did the trans rebuilder put it in an recommend?

Chrysler veered to ATF+4 and GM veered to Dex 6, so I would go with ATF+4. You likely won't be able to find earlier fluids. DEX/MERC is probably the only other acceptable fluid you might still find. Don't use a low viscosity fluid like DEX 6.

Chrysler veered to ATF+4 and GM veered to Dex 6, so I would go with ATF+4. You likely won't be able to find earlier fluids. DEX/MERC is probably the only other acceptable fluid you might still find. Don't use a low viscosity fluid like DEX 6.
But on the other hand part of the DEXRON-VI licensing requirement is improved shear stability over what was required for DEXRON-III. So even though the -VI fluid starts off slightly thinner, it retains viscosity better than -III and will end up more stable than a -III fluid. DEXRON-VI fluids are superior to the old (and no longer licensable DEXRON-III) in every aspect, not just viscosity retention. DEXRON-VI is not a "low viscosity" ATF.

DEXRON-VI is not a "low viscosity" ATF.
I agree with everything you said, except for this. Starting viscosity determines whether an ATF is low viscosity, in my opinion . For example, Dex VI is essentially the same as Mercon LV, and we know what the LV stands for.

But on the other hand part of the DEXRON-VI licensing requirement is improved shear stability over what was required for DEXRON-III. So even though the -VI fluid starts off slightly thinner, it retains viscosity better than -III and will end up more stable than a -III fluid. DEXRON-VI fluids are superior to the old (and no longer licensable DEXRON-III) in every aspect, not just viscosity retention. DEXRON-VI is not a "low viscosity" ATF.
ATF+4 is pretty stout too and is a closer match. If he plans on regular transmission maintenance, shearing won't be much of a factor since even old DEX 2 would have no problem making it to 30k miles.

To the OP, I would ask your question on ALLPAR's forum. There is the greatest collection of Mopar know how there and you will get your best answer there.

Last edited:
^^^I agree that ATF+4 is a stout fluid, and close to Dex3 in viscosity. I’ve never tried it in an old Torqueflite though…not sure how those units would work with a HFM ATF.

Back