Tranny Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the leaking problem an old problem or a current problem? I asked a Ford area rep this morning and he has not seen any leaking problems. It's something I've never seen. Using a filter on the PS return line is a good idea. PS fluid does not oxidize but it does shear. Keeping it clean can certainly help. I've seen 8cst fluid shear down to below 4cst and that a level that can promote wear. If it gets to 2 or 3cst you may be in for real problems.

The leakage was on the inlet of return hose connection side to the Magefine Filter. This happened to me during the summer, after about 2 weeks of 100 def F temperatures after 9 months of being on the vehicle ie 12000km.

The auto trans expert I laised with uses Raybestos, an inline trans filter with a metal casing, but no magnet. If I was to use inline filters again, I would place an extra magnet or two in the plan and use an inline filter with a metal casing. It helps to transfer heat from the fluid as well.

When I cut open the magnefine filter I found very little residue on the magnet. Looking at it's construction on the inside, the fluid hits magnet and then is forced to split direction and flow around and out through the other end.

As a result I am not convinced that the magnet in an inline filter will do much more as the paper filter will remove most of the ultra fine microscopic particles any way, using extra OEM magnets in the pan would pickup the rest.

Perhaps I got a bad batch, but as one was replaced after 9 months under warranty, the replacement one didn't last much longer. The Holden Dealer convinced me that any extra cuts in the line is an extra point for leakage and suggested the cooler + additional pan magnets, with an oversized pan yielding 1 litre extra capacity.

I hope this helps, more than one way to skin a cat.

I recommend that you locate the filter on the return line in a place where it has access to good air flow. to keep it cool, just to help further minimise the potential risk of leakage.

Last edited:
Hey Guys.

I did have one of these magnefine filters plug up on me.

When the torque converter lets go, and spits clutch material through it, it will clog, and take out the front pump on your transmission (starving it of fluid).

Its a nasty death for a transmission. Mine had about 2500 miles on it when it let go.

But this is a performance application, in regular cars i'm sure they are fine.

Mine was plugged so solid you couldn't even blow through it with your mouth.

When you hook these things up, try to spring for stainless hoses. If the rubber ones rub on anything, they will cut and leak.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
Was the leaking problem an old problem or a current problem? I asked a Ford area rep this morning and he has note..........

The leaking problem was an old problem I guess as my Holden Dealer trialled them during 1994/95. By 1997 this particular stopped using them as most owners were not chnaging them.

From discussion with them I got the impression that some were fitted on used vehicles by other owners, the new owners of the used vehicle never checked or knew that they were installed, and guess what.

The batch of (2) I had that leaked was in 2004/5 years. The batch numbers on the Filters were different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back