Trailer tire availability.

My brother and law tells me I need to take the weight off my travel trailer tires (lift the rig) and the life of the tires will be extended. How much he did not say. Any opinions on that?

Over at TireRack it looks like many of the Goodyear Endurance are up to six months our for delivery. But they do have a TT tire Hankook Vantra. Hankook is a well know brand. If I was in need I'd probably go with these as the Goodyear's are backlogged.

These appear to be a a new offering.

VANTRA TRAILER

Not using trailer tires?

Trailer tires and truck tires aren't constructed the same.
I personally don't like LT tires on a dual axle trailer. Mostly because of the way they scrub it tight maneuvers. I guess on a fiver in the dirt it would not be to much of an issue, but there are plenty of good trailer tires available once you get 15" and bigger.

Over at TireRack it looks like many of the Goodyear Endurance are up to six months our for delivery. But they do have a TT tire Hankook Vantra. Hankook is a well know brand. If I was in need I'd probably go with these as the Goodyear's are backlogged.

VANTRA TRAILER

VANTRA TRAILER
The load range in 215/75/14 matches the goodyears i just bought, higher speed rating, not that i go over 70. But may be a good tire!

the whole trailer tire market is underserved.. and is just ripe for someone to come in and make a decent tire IMO.

When I was looking for a spare I had my choice of about 9 Chinese/foreign brands 1 I had heard of so I got that one.

Couple of thoughts:

Some trailer manufacturers didn't do a good job of sizing their tires - too small. Further, ST tires are sized based on a 65 mph speed limitation that trailer manufacturers didn't highlight at all to consumers. It wasn't until recently that you could buy ST tires with speed ratings over 65 mph.

Also, after far, far too long, the government turned their attention to trailer manufacturers and what they specified for tires. That resulted in many trailer manufacturers cleaning up their act.

Today, the situation is much better FOR NEW TRAILERS AND NEW ST TIRES!! But there are plenty of old trailers out there that specify tires/inflation pressures too low. The only way to be sure is to test.

First, EVERY TIME!! before towing, check the inflation pressures, torque the lugnuts, and rub a GLOVED hand over the tread surface of each tire of your trailer. You're looking for a bulge. Find a bulge: Replace tire NOW!!

I recommend a pressure build up test: Check the inflation pressure immediately before starting out on an extended freeway speed run (for an hour). The pressure shouldn't build up more than 10% - excluding ambient temperature affects (2% for every 10°F change in ambient temperature).

The Westlake's on my TT are size 235/75-15. Not sure I've seen this size before however a 225 would work just as good.

westlakest2357515.jpg

Right I'm saying that all 4 utility trailers I owned spec'ed 50psi which was the max on the sidewall as well.
The tow dolly I had also spec'ed 50psi which was the sidewall max.
I'm not saying to inflate them to 50psi based off the tire sidewall.
I was saying in many cases the number is the same.

Although I've run lower if the load is light or fragile. Dont need 50psi for 400lb of furniture

While we are talking about best practices.. its also good to get some fresh grease in the wheel bearings if equipped with grease zerk.. I try to at least yearly.
my current trailer is super easy. It has the EZ lube feature
I just attended a seminar put on by Dexters lead trainer for dealers and consumers. He commented that the EZ lube system was developed for boat trailer consumers who needed an easy way to keep the hubs full and keep water out.
The EZ lube is not a substitute for a repack, they are 2 entirely different things. A properly serviced hub does not require additional grease between repacks. The repack also has the advantage of an opportunity to adjust the bearing preload, inspect the bearings and brakes and replace the seals, especially important on the first service of a new trailer.

I agree on the tire PSI, its often the same as the max on the tire, but not always. Its a common misconception with many RV'ers

Reactions: GON
With the EZ Lube axle Ive also read that if you pump in the grease cold it can blow out the back spindle seal and contaminate the brakes. Its best to slowly pump grease in while still hot from travel.

With the EZ Lube axle Ive also read that if you pump in the grease cold it can blow out the back spindle seal and contaminate the brakes. Its best to slowly pump grease in while still hot from travel.
I usually do it after returning from a trip.
I jack up the side of the trailer and spin tire slowly and pump grease until I see it coming out the front.. as instructions indicate.

my experience with the EZ lube axles is they have very little grease from the factory. I pumped in a lot the first time I did mine. Since then the amount of grease I needed to add is relatively low. I use Lucas Red N Tacky and add grease until it is red coming out. This helps ensure the old grease is flushed out.

I usually do as @Rand said and rotate the wheel as I pump it in. I don't store my camper at my house so it gets some heat to warm the grease up on the drive home...

Just my $0.02

Couple of thoughts:
First, EVERY TIME!! before towing, check the inflation pressures, torque the lugnuts, and rub a GLOVED hand over the tread surface of each tire of your trailer. You're looking for a bulge. Find a bulge: Replace tire NOW!!

I recommend a pressure build up test: Check the inflation pressure immediately before starting out on an extended freeway speed run (for an hour). The pressure shouldn't build up more than 10% - excluding ambient temperature affects (2% for every 10°F change in ambient temperature).
I just picked up 2 Carlisle Reliance Radial ST 205/75R15 LRD load range D from Walmart. Max pressure says 65psi. Walmart inflated to 50psi. I didn't put them on trailer yet since it's raining and I need to clean up studs. Impact gun was working hard to get the lugs off.

I don't have weight of trailer as the plate on side is not even legible, I have not hit a scale yet. Nothing for what PSI should be. It's a friends trailer that I used many times. I emailed Haulmark with details from registration to try and get information. It's a 5x8 enclosed single axle. New versions and a couple auctions on the old ones put empty weight at about 900lbs. I don't load much heavy stuff in it just bulky.

Easy answer is to run the them at the 65psi, just wondering about doing 50-ish psi for not as much bounce when empty? What should lug nut torque be at for this? The old tires were put on by Mavis and hadn't been removed in 5 years. I'm seriously thinking a bit of anti-seize when I put them on but know that affects torque. Maybe Just normal and then hit the stuff with some fluid film afterward. I don't know if I would have gotten them off with lug wrench road side.

Back