Trading a known good vehicle for an unknown?

I have a 2009 Scion xB that I bought last October. 5 speed manual, currently around 155k miles. It’s a slight oil burner but much improved from when I bought it and I’ve driven it about 10k trouble-free miles since I bought it. Everything works, every single button, switch and knob, but it has somewhat ugly paint and a couple of surface rust spots on one rocker panel. The problem is not with the car but with me: my increasingly arthritic left knee is making it painful to drive it some days.

A dealer has a 2008 Scion xD with 93k miles and an automatic. It’s a crazy lava orange color but the xB is a weird eggplant color so no big deal. Mileage is less, it has an auto, and it doesn’t have the 2.4L oil burner. Carfax shows one minor accident, but who knows how many the current car had and it drives fine. I paid just below $4k for the xB and they’re asking just below $7k, so we’re probably looking at $4k for a trade at best since my car doesn’t look all that good. I haven’t gone to see it in person yet so all this may be moot.

I’m not generally a used car buyer so I sort of felt like I won a poker hand when this car turned out to be OK. I have this uncomfortable feeling that getting lucky a second time is like doubling down and then splitting aces. On the bright side it’s a second car so even if I get a lemon it’s not the end of the world. But it would still suck.

There‘s not really a question here except to ask if anyone knows any reason why a 2008 Scion xD would be a bad vehicle choice.

If you need the automatic, there is no shame in getting the XD :)

Orange is a nice color, and so is purple. The XD isn't inherently a bad choice. A 4-cylinder automatic Toyota is the best choice for most people.

Project xB could use a brother🥰
But I'm halfway across the country 😳

This crazy lava orange wouldn't happen to be Hot Lava 🌋?
If so, it sounds like an '08 Release Series 1.0
A special edition if you will
www.motor1.com/news/1150/2008-scion-xd-release-series-10-released-us/amp/

First of all the xD RS 1.0 comes with a Hot Lava exterior paint job and interior details, a DAMD (a renowned Japanese tuning house) body kit, rear spoiler, special wheel covers, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) lowering springs and RAZO RS shift knob.

The Scion xD RS 1.0 will be limited to 2,000 units and will all be individually numbered. Prices start at USD 14,500 for the manual and the model with automatic transmission costs USD 15,350.

An xD is not a bad choice
Not quite as practical as the xB, but a better engine long term
Standard used car checks apply
The market is cooling, so I'd offer $6k and see what that does for you

Last edited:
Project xB could use a brother🥰
But I'm halfway across the country 😳

This crazy lava orange wouldn't happen to be Hot Lava 🌋?
If so, it sounds like an '08 Release Series 1.0
A special edition if you will
www.motor1.com/news/1150/2008-scion-xd-release-series-10-released-us/amp/

First of all the xD RS 1.0 comes with a Hot Lava exterior paint job and interior details, a DAMD (a renowned Japanese tuning house) body kit, rear spoiler, special wheel covers, TRD (Toyota Racing Development) lowering springs and RAZO RS shift knob.

The Scion xD RS 1.0 will be limited to 2,000 units and will all be individually numbered. Prices start at USD 14,500 for the manual and the model with automatic transmission costs USD 15,350.

An xD is not a bad choice
Not quite as practical as the xB, but a better engine long term
Standard used car checks apply
The market is cooling, so I'd offer $6k and see what that does for you
Yes. it's a RS 1.0.

So what I'm hearing you saying is that it's likely to have been thrashed for every one of those 94K miles :(

Before you do anything final take a few minutes and put your car into Carvana and see what they offer. Good luck with your decision and with finding a good vehicle that suits your current needs.

Back