Tractor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a first time poster although I've been lurking around here for a good while now. Decided to go ahead and join in.

Last night while discussing maintenance, I asked my friend what kind of oil he used in his diesel tractor. He said some kind of Havoline, that's what his daddy always used. I told him he probably should be using oil that was formulated for a diesel but he insists he is not changing. Won't even consider an oil analysis. He has been using Havoline 10W40 since 1995. What might this be doing to his engine?

Wlkjr

Answering your question requires more information. Like:

Hours per year he operates?
What is the dominate task he does with his rig?
Temperature while doing that task?
What API service level does the operator manual call for?
What does the OEM call for in a change interval?

[ June 24, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

Neil, apparently the oil is not hurting his tractor. He has been using the same oil since he bought the tractor new in 95 and changes it once a year. Probably puts about 5 hours a week on it in the summer with temps in the 80's to high 90's. It's a 40HP Long and he uses it mainly to cut grass with a finish mower and sometimes a bushhog. Not sure what his manual calls for as we didn't discuss it in detail. I just wondered what potential problems regular oil might cause. I do believe in Havoline oil as I have used it in almost all my vehicles for the last 30 years and never had a problem with it. I just had an oil analysis done on my 97 Grand Prix with 242k miles on it and it came back really good. Previously had an 89 Grand Am with Quad 4 and had 300k on it and it still ran good. But I use Delo 400 in my tractor and Duramax.

Your right he's not hurting that rig with the 10w-40. Not at 100 hrs a season anyway.

One of the great things about most tractors is the engines usually outlive their first owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back