Trabant 601/ Sprag clutch / HLP 68 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1981 Trabant 601.

IMG_20140922_164225045_zpsq7py4rmk.jpg

IMG_20140922_164311893_HDR_zpspy9ihe3f.jpg

It uses a Sprag clutch between 4th gear and the input shaft which allows the drivetrain to freewheel under cruise. It's purpose is to prevent the driver from using the engine as a brake going down hills to avoid engine damage because the motor is a 2 cycle.

These Sprag clutches are notorious for not engaging. It's got these rollers inside that when a small amount of torque is applied will lock 4th gear. Supposably either the rollers wear down or the drum develops flat spots which causes them not to engage. However I think my transmission is gunked up because it seems everytime I do a fluid swap or replace it with something else, the problem goes away for awhile.

Here is a photo of the device:

084d42b6097a8337f62655aabb13daf2.t00000117_b1.jpg

The gear oil: Depending upon which Eastern Bloc country you lived in at the time you could use about five different types of lubes. In the DDR it was HPL 68. The shop manual says if this oil could not be sourced to use SAE 30. Which is what NAPA's cross reference manual says to use.

I cannot find this HPL 68 anywhere in the United States. When I Googled it, all the websites were in Europe. I did find ISO 68 at Tractor Supply. Could this be the same thing just a different designation?

This is sort of a long story so I'll try to condense it as much as possible.

It was suggested by an owner in the Czech Republic I run diesel fuel in the transmission for 300 miles. I thought that was excessive so I only drove the car for 10 miles with an instant improvement, then drained it out and tried 10W30 with some success.

Here is what I have used so far, in no particular order.

1) Diesel fuel : no freewheel device engaging issues whatsoever!

2) 10W30 : This is what is in the gearbox now. With this stuff I have to drive the car about 2 to 3 miles before 4th gear wants to engage (25F). Afterwards it engages so-so. Meaning it either engages smoothly in and out of cruise, delays followed by a loud "thud", sometimes under low RPMs I may have to go back to 3rd, wind the motor up then shift into 4th gear. But I can also put the transmission into 4th while not moving (at idle speed) and stall the engine.

3) SAE 30 : (as stated in the handbook can be substitued for HLP 68) : Initially this was what I used not long after I got the car along with White Shepherds stop leak to sweal up a leaky axle seal. This oil seemed to work fine even in sub freezing weather. Then the freewheel device developed issues engaging in the middle of summer. As of right now the freewheel device does not seem to like this stuff at all! In cold weather anyway.

4) Dextron III: One owner reported she had used this fluid for 20,000 KM with no ill effects so I tried it. After the first issue with the freewheel device back in 2013, I switched to this for about a year and saw an instant improvement with no issues until the end of this summer. I'm not sure why.

What I am trying to figure out is if the Sprag clutch is worn out is thinner weight oils allowing it to engage easier? Or is it possible the transmission has 35 years of gunk buildup that is breaking up over time clogging up the roller bearings in the clutch?

If I knew it would not harm the transmission, I would use diesel fuel because it engages with no issues but I realize diesel fuel is not a lubricant. It is an oil but probably the the thinnest weight oil from petroleum.

I got to reading and found out BMW motorcycles use these Sprag clutches in the starters and they suffer from gunk buildup. One guy says to use a 25% mixture of Risolene in the gearbox, run it until the problem goes away and replace with fresh oil. I have not tried this. One guy I know said he used this in an engine and it locked it up 15 minutes later. He said it was a caustic based solution. His engine may have had some other issue.

I did buy a quart of Risolene and was going to test it on an old engine part to see if it actually eats off any oil residue.

A guy at Autozone said to use a mixture of Marvel's Mystery oil but the thing is I've heard this is relabled automatic transmission fluid which is what I have used. Is MMO really ATF?

One thought was to try 0W30 motor oil. Since that is technically 30 weight oil but is actually thinner at colder temperatures. I know that the transmission does not generate allot of heat simply because I have drained it out after a drive and it's like luke warm.

It's been very cold here in the southest this past week so I can't expect too much from a 30+ year old car. Perhaps when it warms up the 10W30 would work just fine. I normally don't drive this car in the winter due to it's poor heater.

Any Sprag clutch experts out there who could shed some light on what might be up with this device?

Any safe lubricants I could use in this gearbox other than SAE 30?

I built (and later maintained) a coal handling plant at one point in my career, and the steep conveyors had sprag clutch "anti-runbacks" that would allow the belt to run up the hill, and then stop, instantaneously from running back should the drive fail.

Spec was an ISO 46 hydraulic oil OR ATF. Advice from Caltex at the time (US Chevron Texaco) was that ATF provided longer life...so we used that...only compartment in the power station with red oil.

ATF (Dexron III) is close to ISO 46, but a few cst shy of the 68 that you are after...I think that really it's your best option.

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/hydraulic_oils/cid(9179)/ultramax_hlp_68

Take a look, this is hydraulic oil with EP and AW additives. There's got to be something similar in US.
Cheers.

Are you daily driving this Trabi?
It sounds like you're putting the car to regular use.
I checked out your photobucket albums.
I didn't realize that there were that many running Fiats in the country. The 850 Spyders were always a favorite of mine. They are such pretty little cars.
Sorry that I can't contribute anything useful on the Trabant's malady. I'd bet that if you carefully measure all of the parts, you'll find enough wear that engagement is compromised. The car was designed to be useable in a cold climate, so ambient temperatures shouldn't matter. The tranny probably doesn't have much gunk in it, since it isn't subject to combustion products, only wear metals.
Maybe someone from the old DDR would have some insight into what's going on? This is probably not a failure unique to your car.

The old Saab 96 had a freewheel set up. Google up a forum of old Saab guys and ask what they use. Also MMO is not ATF.I would try it. Consider it as a thicker diesel

Google found this special made lube for your application.

Hope this helps

http://www.ldm-tuning.de/en/artikel-6157.htm

Besides that mentioned product, owners seem to use HLP 68 or ATF only.

By the way ... The manufacturer Addinol is a well reputated lubrication company from eastern Germany founded in 1936

TurboFiat124 - your Trabant 601 looks better than they used to look back in the day when the Berlin Wall came down.

Last edited:
Google found this special made lube for your application.

Hope this helps

http://www.ldm-tuning.de/en/artikel-6157.htm

Besides that mentioned product, owners seem to use HLP 68 or ATF only.

I've ordered parts from LDM in the past. But because shipping is so expensive from Germany I would like to find a source here. Every parts supplier or Ebay seller insists on using DHL and a minimum 2KG package costs $55.

By the way ... The manufacturer Addinol is a well reputated lubrication company from eastern Germany founded in 1936

TurboFiat124 - your Trabant 601 looks better than they used to look back in the day when the Berlin Wall came down.

This car came out of Hungary and I've done lot of work to it. In order to get me by, I touhed up all the gouged spots in the Duraplast, sanded down any rust spots then touched them up with some paint I had matched. Then wetsanded the car with a Scotch Brite pad and #1200 grit sandpaper then buffed it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/hydraulic_oils/cid(9179)/ultramax_hlp_68

Take a look, this is hydraulic oil with EP and AW additives. There's got to be something similar in US.
Cheers.

I did find something called ISO 68 on Tractor Supply stores' website here in the United States:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/mystikreg%3B-pl-aw-hydraulic-oil-iso-68-2-gal#desc-tab

Since Havoline website mentions "ISO" after "HLP" then is there a possibility this is the stuff I am looking for?

With my old Fiats that require GL-1 90 weight mineral oil in the gearbox. Sometimes it's listed as simply 90 weight but nothing about GL-1 but it's supposed to be the same thing.

Last edited:
Actually getting the car into the country and registering it was really no problem. Well I paid a guy to do that for me. But what maked it easy is the fact that the car is over 30 years old so it's exempt. I had a chance to get a 1991 1.1 4 stroke model but it was too "new" to register so I had to import a 2 stroker instead.

There is a guy on the Trabant forums who imported a Trabi into New Zealand and had to really jump through hoops to get it's registered. Having to take it to MOT (or whatever) shops to be inspected and all. He said they complained that the glass was not labled safety glass despite the fact it was made of safety glass. But he somehow had to prove it to the inspector.

Tennessee has no inspection system. They do a snif test in Nashville and Memphis but that's about it.

I drove mine around with a broken seat belt tied in a knot for about a year (just for show for passing police offiers) before replacing them with retractable belts!

Give the ISO 68 hydraulic fluid from your local Tractor Supply a try ... looks about the spec'd HLP 68 to me, (which is hydraulic fluid with a defined viscosity, rated by the number 68 in my understanding).

Also you should know that most oil products in former east germany where low grade quality ... take this in concideration ... plain hydraulic fluid with the right viscosity is spec'd

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
There is a guy on the Trabant forums who imported a Trabi into New Zealand and had to really jump through hoops to get it's registered. Having to take it to MOT (or whatever) shops to be inspected and all. He said they complained that the glass was not labled safety glass despite the fact it was made of safety glass. But he somehow had to prove it to the inspector.

New Zealand imports a huge amount of used Japanese domestic vehicles every year, and they don't comply with EC or DOT standards, let alone Australian or New Zealand standards. So we have a stringent entry level check, unfortunately everything else gets caught up in this system as well. Tick the boxes, and yes he has to prove it to the tester....or pay the tester his time for finding the proof himself.

Found on the net:

The most frequently used hydraulic liquid is mineral oil-based, with suitable additives. It is also known as hydraulic oil. The requirements for this hydraulic oil are set out in ISO 6743-4 with the designations HL, HM, HV. In Germany, the designations HL, HLP, HVLP are standard, in accordance with DIN 51524.

H and HH: Mineral oil with no active ingredients – is no longer used in practice.

HL: with active ingredients to increase the corrosion protection and resistance to aging

HM: with active ingredients to increase the corrosion protection and resistance to aging and to reduce wear due to scoring in the mixed friction area

HLP: further active ingredients in addition to HL oil to reduce wear and increase resistance in the mixed friction area – widest application in practice

HV and HVLP: like HLP, but with increased resistance to aging, as well as an improved temperature-viscosity relationship

HLPD: like HLP, but with additives to improve particle transport (detergent effect) and dispersion capacity (water carrying capacity) and active ingredients to increase the corrosion protection (German designation, not standardised)

Edit:

seems a dexronII would be close, also has the friction modifiers to increase friction in ML

Last edited:
Snooped around work tonight over to where we store our oils for our pumps and machinery and found a 55 gallon drum of Mobil SHC 626 ISO VG 68. Commonly used in the gearboxes of Durco brand pumps.

Based on both "HLP 68" and "ISO 68", "VG 68" keeps popping up. Sounds to me this is the same stuff only in syntethic form. It's orange instead of red and has a real funky plastic smell to it.

I think what is confusing me is names for European and American lubricants are different even though they are the same thing. Does that sound logical?

Thought I might give this stuff a try. What can I loose, it's free! Well so to speak...

http://thelubricantstore.com/mobil-shc-626-pail.html

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/1113%20Hydrauliköl%20HLP%2068_EN.pdf/$file/1113%20Hydrauliköl%20HLP%2068_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back