TPMS light comes and goes

The TPMS light on my 2013 Pilot randomly turns on and off while driving. It's only the TPMS light and not the tire with exclamation point light.

I checked all the tires (including spare) and pressures are good.

What do you guys think? Weak / dead sensor battery? Can Discount Tire use their TPMS scanner and tell me which one, or ones are bad? Would they also be a good place for sensor replacement?

The TPMS light on my 2013 Pilot randomly turns on and off while driving. It's only the TPMS light and not the tire with exclamation point light.

I checked all the tires (including spare) and pressures are good.

What do you guys think? Weak / dead sensor battery? Can Discount Tire use their TPMS scanner and tell me which one, or ones are bad? Would they also be a good place for sensor replacement?
Battery probably. Go to DT, they should be able to check the strength of the signal. But, considering those are 10yrs old batteries, they are the primary suspect.

Set all the pressures exactly where you want them, then do this:

Had this on my 2010 Odyssey and had Costco replace a couple of the sensors when I got new tires, fixed it.

I am in the minority in that I like TPMS. It's easy to forget about tire pressure and end up driving around on under inflated tires on older cars that lack TPMS and may have slow leaks due to, eg, corroded wheels.

Had this on my 2010 Odyssey and had Costco replace a couple of the sensors when I got new tires, fixed it.

I am in the minority in that I like TPMS. It's easy to forget about tire pressure and end up driving around on under inflated tires on older cars that lack TPMS and may have slow leaks due to, eg, corroded wheels.
I'm with you, I drive with TPMS showing on the dashboard and alerts me on the condition/inflation of tires, after all my life depends on them!

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Have the same exact issue over the last 2 weeks with my 2013 Honda Civic.
I believe the sensor is out or near out and cold temperature makes the light come on in the cold AM, but goes off if weather is warm in afternoon.
Voltage is affected by ambient temperature.

Have the same exact issue over the last 2 weeks with my 2013 Honda Civic.
I believe the sensor is out or near out and cold temperature makes the light come on in the cold AM, but goes off if weather is warm in afternoon.
Voltage is affected by ambient temperature.
Yeah, the light started coming on last week in the morning as temps began dipping into the 30s-40s. It doesn't come on at all during my drive home in the evening when it's warmer.

Last edited:

?? They were all the same age, factory sensors? Why wouldn't you replace all 4, or were you only replacing 2 tires?

As you and others mentioned, I'd just wait till I got the next new set of tires and replace all 4, except the last time I got new tires, all were working still but based on the age of the vehicle and the few miles/year it's driven, I went ahead and proactively replaced the sensors anyway. It is often much less expensive to buy them yourself, somewhat shocking how much markup some tire dealers charge per sensor.

Back