TPMS battery life?

Hi,

Typically, how long do the batteries last in the tire pressure monitoring system before the dashboard pressure readings start to become inaccurate or fade?? Is there some time of a warning light I will get saying the batteries need to be replaced?

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 78K miles and about 6 1/2 years old.

Thanks
Michael in NJ

I think you know most TPMS sensors don't have a replaceable battery, you replace the whole sensor. There are a few Youtube videos of people replacing TPMS batteries. I think they use a Dremel tool and epoxy I don't know.

The readings will be accurate until they stop. And the car will tell you a sensor is bad, with that cute little yellow flat tire light. IDK how long you have but the next time you buy tires, consider buying replacement sensors.

In my experience, roughly 10-13 years. The cars in which the batteries died closer to 10 years old were driven much more than the cars closer to 13. Edit: Looks like online says an average of roughly 7. The only warning I've had was the car telling me, "I can't read this sensor anymore." (in a nutshell, no warning)

Last edited:
Is there some time of a warning light I will get saying the batteries need to be replaced?
Your owners manual explains this part.

The sensors in my Nissan/Infiniti lasted over 11 years. Actually, I replaced them due to corrosion, not battery life. The ones in our '12 Civic lasted around 10 years before (1) had a dying battery, but I replaced all (4). We just sold our '14 Fusion and it had the original sensors.

I buy the el cheapo sensors off Amazon. They can last 4 years but some have had better luck. I currently have one set where one sensor failed. I plan to replace the tires this fall and will put in new sensors. I’ll go with el cheapo again as who knows, they might be better batteries than four years ago.

I've been wondering the same thing. The ones on my 2012 Mazda3 are 11 years old and the car has 130,000 miles on it. I expect that they are close to end of life, but who knows. My son's 2012 Hyundai Accent (purchased by original owner in 2011) also still has the original TPMS sensors.

When the time comes I was considering purchasing replacements here.

Our car is a 2011 purchased new they still work. I know costco has serviced the valve but not the actual tpms.

I've got one on my 2005 Ford Explorer that is just starting to act up. It shows a TPMS problem on the dash unless you air the tire up to 40 psi. I've got four new sensors in my possession, I just haven't put them in yet.

I will. I don't know about $100 but I found some denso units for about $30 a piece I think. I'll get discount tire to do it
You don't save any money if the sensors are $30 then pay for installation and programming. Just buy them from DT and you also get a warranty.

Hi,

Typically, how long do the batteries last in the tire pressure monitoring system before the dashboard pressure readings start to become inaccurate or fade?? Is there some time of a warning light I will get saying the batteries need to be replaced?

Thanks
Michael in NJ
My 2008 F-150 still has the originals.

I don't know if there is any dashboard notification for non-working sensors.

Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition with 78K miles and about 6 1/2 years old.

Thanks
Michael in NJ
Flinter
Last month I replaced 4 TPMS Sensors on my 2011 Expedition with 362K miles. 1 battery sensor was Dead. I had them replaced at Discount Tire with Schrader 33560 TPMS sensors for $50 each.
Then last week I replaced 5 TPMS Sensors on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler with 65K miles. 2 battery sensors were Dead. I had them replaced at Discount Tire with (5) 315 REDI Clip-In TPMS Sensors for $60 each.
So to answer your question I would say that the TPMS Sensors last 11-12 yrs

Back