TP Filter on a Hemi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is always desirable to mount the filter high enough so that it can drain so that oil won't spill out when you change the TP. It is always better to use the sandwich adapter when you can because the filtering is better. The adapter allows the oil to soak through the element instead of being forced thru.
I got started using sandwich adapters about 25 years ago made by Frantz. I always used the two port sandwich adapter instead of the one port. I'm not sure Frantz makes them anymore. I got started using the Perma-Cool adapter that I get from www.jegs.com. They also have the Flex-A-Lite adapters if you ask for them. The relief valves are a little small. On some diesels I drill the adaper to help the relief valve. I had a few complaints with the two port Frantz adapters on large engines and they were more complicated and harder to deal with. The spring in the Perma-Cool adapters relief valve keeps the oil going to the filter even with very small engines like my 20 HP Kohler lawn mower engine. At any rate if the oil pressure doesn't jump right up there when you start the engine you will need to drill the adapter. I use a 7/32" drill bit. Normally the sandwich adapter relief valve is large enough to handle the oil flow in a good engine. As the engine wears it needs more oil to pressure up the engine oil system.
I just got a Perma-Cool adapter that was tapped too deep. The fittings bottomed out before they got tight. I will take it to the shop and cut it with a band saw and use it for a 6.0 Chevy that has very little room to work with the four wheel drive. The front u joint is too close to the full flow filter. It's the same old drill. Find a good place to mount the filter and watch out for sharp or hot parts. Perma-Cool lists filters that are shorter for tight fits. I used a 771-181 adapter on a Dodge 360 truck awhile back. It was a piece of cake.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Anyone installed a TP filter on a new Dodge hemi? I've got an '04 1500 4x4, and I think I'm about ready to take the bypass plunge (got about 5400 miles on right now). I'm leaning towards the MotorGuard over the Franz. I just hope I've got enough room for a sandwich adaptor- there isn't a terrible lot of room under the oil filter, but using the stock-size baby filter, I might be all right. I really don't want to have to start drilling into the oil pan, etc- that seems like a cobble job to me. Plus I want easy removal in case I need to take it in for warranty work. At least there is plenty of room to mount the bypass filter itself between the front bumper and the radiator/condensor crossmember. So anyhow, has anyone done this on a similar application? Anything important I need to be taking into consideration? Thanks.

I have a 2002 S-10 that I recently switched to a by pass filter. I know its not the same application as yours, but I also had a problem with filter size. I ended up using a 3614 filter. It has the right size threads for the perma cool and is small enough to fit in my application.

Cmt.

I installed a franzt filter on my 04 dodge hemi.I put it on the passengers side between the grill and the rad. Lots of room and easy to change filter.

Above the oil filter is a sender. I removed the sender and tee'd into it, replaced the sender. Thats the pressure side to the filter.

The return line I drilled a hole in the oil filler cap and glued a 3/8 nipple into it. My motor has a pipe that runs from below the oil filler cap to the air filter box. On the side by the filler cap I stuffed the pipe with Amway sos pad. This prevents any oil being sucked into the air filter.

Works great and easy to do.

Bron32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back