Toyota WS Transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiny wheels:

That's what the book says, but it's mostly nonsense and written to discourage people from doing their own service. You can run it in any gear and leave the fill/spill orifice open to check the level and be good. Deleting the engine bay atf fill stick was a cost saving and revenue-generating move by Toyota. Once people figured out how to do it on their own, they complicated the procedure in the manual to discourage them and drive them back to dealers. Read the prior instructions for the same transmission and you'll figure it out.

WirelessF:

The A761E is not unicorn; it's just a step in a long progression of Aisin "A" transmissions. Ignoring prior and subsequent models is not the way to think of it. I happen to be one of the few people who buy expensive cars and do my own maintenance (partly family history, partly fun hobby, partly insurance against bad mechanics). I'm in the process of buying an LS430 used now so I've done my homework on it and serviced another one for a friend. It's not a unicorn and don't treat it differently because you have been told that by uninformed owners or mechanics.

Toyota thinned the toque converter on the "6" (for spacing) and at the same time thinned the fluid for mileage. Bad combination. WS shears badly in general and this is one of the worst applications for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
Is this how others are changing your WS fluid out? Special wire for temperature, shift between N and D every 1.5 seconds, drain and refill. Seems complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ucMJQk9eaI

That video makes it sound much harder than it is. I did my wife's Lexus by draining about 3 quarts, measuring it and putting that much new back in. Started the car 3 seconds and drained about 3 more and put 3 new back in. Did this for 12 quarts. Then I jumpered the 4 and 13 pins and went through the shift procedure until the D light was blinking. Then opend overflow tube to see if it was trickling out. Had a slight top off and was done. The WS fluid expands as it heats up so this is why the top off procedure is important. It can be done in under an hour and is not hard at all. That video would scare anyone from doing. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back