Toyota Web Site and Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
As copied form the Toyota Corporate web site

Question: Can I use synthetic oil in my Toyota?

Answer: All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Toyota is currently recommending API1 grade SJ or SL, or ILSAC2 multigrade petroleum-based engine oil3 for our current model year vehicles. In moderate climates, this oil should have a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) viscosity rating of 5W-30. In our high mileage tests with preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, the recommended natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service.

If you decide to use synthetic oil for the engine, it is best not to switch until the first scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the specifications provided in your Owners Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we DO NOT recommend a longer oil change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil.

If the engine oil that you use, whether natural or synthetic, does not meet the specifications provided in your Owners Manual or is defective, any resulting damage to the engine will not be covered by the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You can protect yourself against this possibility by having your maintenance performed by a factory-authorized Toyota dealership.

1 American Petroleum Institute
2 International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee
3 Please refer to your Owners Manual for additional information

how bout that, my toyota dealer recomends mob-1 across the board, for all the makes they sell. they are a toyota,honda,suzuki,hyundai and kia dealer. maybe they get a deal from the mobil supplier.
confused.gif

When it comes to oils, I trust the oil makers first, then the automakers. I know this might not sound to smart, but this is the old way of thinking. You can switch back to dino and not have any problems, in a fairly low mileage engine. Seal compatibility was years ago. Toyota should get with the program.

The automakers are using dino as there measuring guide. We all know synthetics can go longer. The point is switching back to synthetics is not a problem and running a good synthetic longer with analyis is proven to be safe. I don't think Toyota or Honda even know how long Amsoil or M1 would last in there engines.

Isn't it great to see a large company like Toyota reinforcing synthetic oil myths?
rolleyes.gif

I suppose it makes sense from a CYA standpoint ... but don't expect to hear me applauding their efforts.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back