Toyota U.S.A., Inc. Does NOT back spec Gen2 Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This whole thread seems a little laughable.
In short, who cares?
Too much passion expended on a car that offers none.
You want to run a twenty in the appliance?
Go right ahead. I'm sure it would cause no harm.
You want to run a thirty or even forty?
Why not, no harm done.
Most engines, including the tiny, low-powered stove the Prius comes with will do fine on a range of grades.
If consumption seems a tad higher than you'd like on a twenty, then bump it up.
It's all good and I doubt that the engine will care one way or the other.
The Prius engine can't make enough power to hurt itself, regardless of grade used.

Apparently you care since you are here. Try reading it again apparently you have a poor grasp of the subject at hand.

I'm surprised a guy with a Subaru has so much free time between head gasket changes and oil consumption test.
crackmeup2.gif

Not much here of any significance to grasp.
Good luck with that VW after you get the mandatory emissions work done on it.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
In short, who cares?

Everyone on BITOG, including apparently you as well. It's an oil forum here.
wink.gif

Quote:

Easy there. Everyone values their car. Besides, it (along with Generation 3) still offers the best fuel economy in the world (until Generation 4 comes next month).
wink.gif

Best fuel economy in the world?
ROFL!!!
You need to get out more.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Why is it so hard to just use the recommended 5W30?

That's too easy. Obviously, whatever Toyota recommends is sub-optimal.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

That's too easy. Obviously, whatever Toyota recommends is sub-optimal.

They only "get it right" when they spec 0W20...they get it wrong every other time.

Search a bit, and you'll find that.

I see your point, but there is a lot of nonsense coming out from whoever you spoke at Toyota and whoever produced the first chart.

In fairness to Gokhan, the first chart is just as much of a Charlie Foxtrot as the potentially spurious one or Canadian one or whatever we want to call it.

In short, who cares?

Not true! I fall in love with my Prius every time I fill her up at the gas station and she costs less than $20.
grin.gif

Good question. In my application I see no advantage to going with thinner motor oil in my wife's gen 2 Prius. Says 5W30 on the oil filler cap, and I like 30 weight oils, so I use 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
In short, who cares?

Not true! I fall in love with my Prius every time I fill her up at the gas station and she costs less than $20.
grin.gif

That sounds like a cheap date!

Originally Posted By: Garak
I see your point, but there is a lot of nonsense coming out from whoever you spoke at Toyota and whoever produced the first chart.

In fairness to Gokhan, the first chart is just as much of a Charlie Foxtrot as the potentially spurious one or Canadian one or whatever we want to call it.

I think both charts are official. The first one seems to be a summary of the oil specs from the owners' manuals and the second chart seems to include some backs-spec'ing. I think I remember seeing the second chart on the US Web site as well. The second one was more of a parts-department chart.

In any case, I think most of us have agreed that there is too much thought that has gone into this. It really doesn't matter. This engine will run fine with any oil. I would use the originally recommended 5W-30 or thicker but I would personally go with an affordable synthetic. I am someone who has run virtually any viscosity and type between 0W-20 and 20W-50 in my Toyota engine. They all work OK.

As long as you change your oil according to the OCI spec and your oil doesn't fall below the low line, you are fine. The type and viscosity of the oil you use hardly matters for most applications, at least until the ultra-thin GF-6B oils are introduced, which will pose a danger for the uninformed public.

Originally Posted By: car51
So do we know what oil grade will be required for gen 4 Prius?

There is no doubt that it will be 0W-20 SN/GF-5 full synthetic. 0W-16/0W-12/0W-8 GF-6B grades won't be introduced for at least about three more years, as ILSAC has been having a lot of problems developing test engines. I doubt Generation 4 will ever be back-spec'd for 0W-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back