Toyota Transmission Shudder TSB - Protect Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Problem here is that:
A. Folks are getting the pro ramming update and booted out the door towards the end of their warranty with no fluid change, magnets or new TC
This is a classic situation in which you either don't return because you don't know that you didn't get all the steps performed or just are to tired of it all that you convince yourself that it's 'fixed'.......until 10,000 miles after warranty. Then the dealer takes a renews interest with a laundry list of Trans repairs.

B. Sure "it happens" I agree. They've had years to figure this out. As a core
Drivetrain component things like a TC spewing metal are found out fairly soon. It seems that they it's tried flui change and fill (factory directed 3 times fill n dump) in the earlier years of symptoms and now they have a programming AND full fluid change in their new TSB. They're throwing ideas at getting these cars just to the end of drivetrain warranty. AND the dealers aren't doing the fluid change part if it. Yikes! Next version of this TSB will have red letters (for those who have seen a real toyota TSB) that say MUST change ATF to wake up the dealer to what they should have read in the first place.

You sure like to speculate.

If the dealers aren't actually completing the TSB as per Toyota's instructions, then yes, that's a problem. I'd think they (the dealers) would be getting through of many of these as possible though, I think I read 8-point-something hours labor time for the job? A good tech could shave a fair bit of time off that, and bingo, it becomes a good earner...

OP, does your car exhibit any symptoms of the shudder?

Quite frankly my '13 Camry may it may not have the shudder. When cold, it does a little different shift feel almost like a throw forward-pause-pull into gear shift like a manual...but that's besides the point. As far as shudder I say that, "it may or may not" because it is at low RPM's when under the light acceleration which they describe as the problem area. So I just feel the engine vibration pull and rumble at low RPM. A low "bbbbwwwwaaaaaahhhh" type sound. Now recently, I read that it actually occurs BEFORE the next shift rather than just after the up shift , so I'm not sure what the deal really is of when it occurs. I guess I don't know what it feels like without the shudder.

So if the shudder is like a semi-violent and unnerving shudder ..... I'd say that I haven't felt it yet at 25k. I am keeping my senses alert for any changes in feeling or tranny behavior.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
More like it's the TCC and lockup logic than the tramsmission. Maybe the flex lockup logic is creating excessive TCC wear (ie, riding the clutch) and that's why the TC replacement is required. Only way to fix that is to program the ECU for TCC on-off lockup at 40mph like every other reliable auto transmission.

That would bug me. Rubber band effect.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
if the shudder is like a semi-violent and unnerving shudder ..... I'd say that I haven't felt it yet at 25k. I am keeping my senses alert for any changes in feeling or tranny behavior.

So the plan is to just wait and see if anything develops? Hopefully it all stays good for as long as you have the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back