Toyota Taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in NYC, 99.9% of cabs were Caprices, Crown Vics, or Town Cars. I know that has changed as those vehicles disappeared from the market.

I live in a rural area now and don't travel like I used to.

I noticed something remarkable on my trip to Boston a few weeks ago. At least at Logan Airport, the overwhelming majority of taxis were Toyotas: Camry and Sienna.

Is this a Logan Airport phenomenon, a Boston thing, or is it happening everywhere?

Caravans and Priusses here along with some ex cop car CVPIs. There isn't any age or size requirement, we're pretty lax.

I have noticed in SFO and SEA, the taxis are 'mostly' Toyota Prius and surprisingly, there was plenty of room for all of my luggage and (at least with the front passenger seat pulled forward) plenty of leg room too.

Here's a list of the approved medallion cabs in NYC:

As of 2013, approved models[64] for use as New York City medallion taxis are:

2014 Nissan NV 200 Taxi
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid
2014 Nissan Altima
2014 Toyota Camry
2014 Toyota Prius v
2014 Ford C-Max
2014 Ford Taurus (FWD)
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2014 Chevy Impala

2013 Ford C-Max
2013 Ford Transit Connect
2013 Lexus Rx 450H
2013 Nissan Altima
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
2013 Toyota Camry
2013 Toyota Prius
2013 Toyota Highlander
2013 Toyota Sienna Accessible (Mobility Works/ Freedom Motors)
2013 Toyota Sienna Accessible (BraunAbility)
2013 MV1 Accessible
2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan

2012 Ford Fusion
2012 Ford Escape
2012 Ford Taurus FWD (Only)
2012 Ford Transit Connect
2012 Lincoln MKZ
2012 Nissan Altima
2012 Toyota Camry
2012 Toyota Highlander
2012 Toyota Prius v
2012 Hyundai Sonata
2012 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Sedan
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L TDI
2012 Mercedes Benz E350 BlueTec
2012 Toyota Sienna Accessible (Viewpoint Mobility)
2012 Toyota Sienna Accessible (Freedom Motors)
2012 Toyota Sienna Accessible (Mobility Works)
2012 MV1 Accessible
2012 Ford Transit Connect Accessible

Huh... I see exactly one GM product on that list.

And zero Chryslers.

I remember a few years back when the original Honda Odyssey was one of the more common cabs in NYC.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418

And zero Chryslers.

Regarding severe-duty vehicles, it seems like many PDs are quick to get rid of the Chargers that were the cool thing to have 5-6 years ago.

Anyone know if this is because of price, reliability, size, or???

Talking to cops that have been on the job for 25+ years, they seem to speak most highly of the Caprice w/ LT1. *shrug*

Quite a few Chargers around here till the new Fords came out. Now the Interceptor Utility is the most popular.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Is this a Logan Airport phenomenon, a Boston thing, or is it happening everywhere?

What? I thought Ford Escape Hybrids were still the big thing because they save so much on gas and are about the right durability/size/shape.

Cop cars: Latest (Camaro/G8 chassis) Caprice with 300 hp V6 are all the rage, my observations.

When I was in Las Vegas there were all sorts of Taxis.

I rode in:
- Newer Malibu (08 or so)
- Ford Edge
- Ford Freestar (surprisingly enough, they will hit triple digit speeds and take corners at 90MPH!)

Originally Posted By: possum328
Quite a few Chargers around here till the new Fords came out. Now the Interceptor Utility is the most popular.

Not sure, but I think they maybe lass roomy inside for both cops and suspects...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I noticed on my trip to Vancouver, 100% Toyotas. Mostly Prius and a few corollas. They are simply the cheapest to operate, thus no brainer.

U would think so, i know. I could never understand the use of gas guzzlers when hybrids are available. Purchase price up front is the only business reason. Priuses and Corollas don't hold much luggage too.

Originally Posted By: route66mike
I noticed on my trip to Vancouver, 100% Toyotas. Mostly Prius and a few corollas. They are simply the cheapest to operate, thus no brainer.

U would think so, i know. I could never understand the use of gas guzzlers when hybrids are available. Purchase price up front is the only business reason. Priuses and Corollas don't hold much luggage too.

If the cars are leased to the driver, the driver's on the hook for gas. So the car owner has no incentive, so long as he keeps finding drivers.

If the medallion is ridiculously expensive, so is downtime. If a prius is mostly reliable but a "precious flower" when it comes to repairs, especially timeliness, there's a perverse incentive to get something else (CVPI) that can be repaired in a hurry or gimp along to its appointment Sunday morning.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Growing up in NYC, 99.9% of cabs were Caprices, Crown Vics, or Town Cars. I know that has changed as those vehicles disappeared from the market.

I live in a rural area now and don't travel like I used to.

I noticed something remarkable on my trip to Boston a few weeks ago. At least at Logan Airport, the overwhelming majority of taxis were Toyotas: Camry and Sienna.

There are a bunch of Camry (and Escape) hybrid taxis in Boston now. (If it has a green stripe near the C-pillar, it's a hybrid.)

Originally Posted By: route66mike

Howzabout YOU try stuffing three 220+lb guys in the back of a Prius for an airport run!

in the Seattle area almost all the old Crown vics have been replaced by Priuses and such. i have even started seeing mini Nissian passenger vans. i think its for the better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
in the Seattle area almost all the old Crown vics have been replaced by Priuses and such. i have even started seeing mini Nissian passenger vans. i think its for the better fuel economy.

Yep...I can verify this. The last two years vast amounts of Crown Vic's have been replaced by the Prius.
My interest is in the longevity of the Prius vs. the Vic. Seems like 99% of the taxi drivers are from Pakistan/India/Middle East or North Africa. Not very good drivers and from what I've seen fairly abusive driving habits.
So far they must be holding up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back