Toyota Tacoma will be made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alchargo
Originally Posted by Miller88
Mexican made vehicles always seem to have major quality problems. I have no problem buying something made in Japan, America, China, Canada or even Thailand ( would love a Mitsu Mirage), but I have a hard no on anything made in Mexico.

Yes, let's judge a vehicle solely by were it was assembled. Your Subaru was likely assembled by borderline slave laborers. But as long as they build a quality product who cares, am-I-right?
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/japan-subaru/

So because foreign workers choose to live in Japan and work under those conditions it's the fault of the consumer?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Japanese vehicles need to stay "made in Japan". They were superior.

VINs that start with J were made in japan.

My 2005 Chevy Avalanches final assembly point was in Mexico. I'm sure a large percentage of it was shipped to Mexico for final assembly, but it just rolled over 213,000 miles and is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365
I get the feeling many people don't understand how modern manufacturing works.

Every body panel is stamped exactly how the engineers designed it.

Every weld the robots do comes out exactly the way the engineers designed it.

Every plastic part comes out of the mold exactly the way the engineers designed it.

Every fastener is selected and torqued exactly the way the engineers designed it.

Every paint job the robots do comes out exactly as the engineers and programmers designed it.

None of these vary based on what country the machines are sitting in.

wrong.
Things go out of spec, ejection pins stick/break, mold cracked, flash, burs, cracks, wrong material, defective suppliers, stupid employees about to get fired, and if not caught early, built and hopefully caught at the final assembly line.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Every plastic part comes out of the mold exactly the way the engineers designed it.

Every fastener is selected and torqued exactly the way the engineers designed it.

Every paint job the robots do comes out exactly as the engineers and programmers designed it.

wrong.

What is wrong about that comment? The robots and other automated processes are programmed the same whether they are in Detroit or Bangkok.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My Mexican made Nissan was junk. Blame the management and engineers, not the assembly line workers.
Now most of my Made in the USA Fords had horrendous and criminal assembly defects.
- Cab not bolted to chassis,
- Trans not bolted to engine,
- Crossmember not bolted to frame

and those were three different trucks bought years apart..

My new Taco bought years ago had the headlight fall out on the drive home.
There rear shocks were so stiff that, the rear axle would bounce over a foot side-to-side on expansion joints on the highway.
And that's with the tire pressure knocked way down.

Definitely the wrong valving on those dampers out back. Dangerous and near criminal.
Then the spaghetti wire distributor ignition on the engine would misfire all over the place - even in good weather.
Reason no Taco for me. Plus they were "girly-trucks" sized for a Little Mike.

You've had the worst luck when it comes to vehicles.

It seems that way, but I am a mechanic, engineer and was a quality manager so I'm all over them when they hit my driveway.

The '91 Ford F150 w/t base model showed its" trans was not bolted in" by the clutch pedal sticking to the floor the first day I drove it to work. Trying to pull out in traffic, let up the clutch, it didn't engage - then it slapped up against my foot and the truck lurched into oncoming traffic; Almost an accident - but Luckily not that day. On a later crawl under, I found a couple bolts were started a couple threads and just that - and maybe a starter bolt - sort of held it together. I surmised they left them out since the fuel send and return line bracket for the 4.9 EFI didnt make it to the bell housing ear - so they left the bolts out. Not enough slack running up from the tank

Bet the Factory team leader wont let you stop the line from moving for something so "insignificant"
smile.gif

Like Iacocca wrote in his book, ' .... we shipped many incomplete kit cars to "maybe" be completed at the Ford Dealer ...'

I have also owned over 65 new cars so I have a large "sample size" from which to post stories about.

-Ken

Last edited:
I'd not worry about the Mexican workers. Given how many come here to actually work in jobs Americans won't do, it seems there is nothing wrong with the work ethic of the Mexican worker.

My 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins was built in Mexico.I had it for 13 years and 127,000 miles with ZERO quality issues.Bed was starting to rot but that had nothing to do with where it was made.Enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Customers want cheap prices and are not willing to pay for quality, so they have to go where labour is cheaper.

True indeed ^^^^^^^

Cutting our own necks off in the process....

Only a part of the problem... Many more in addition to the one mentioned above.

The asians and hispanics/latinos/chicanos have long gotten along swimmingly.

This business collaboration is another example of that.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

wrong.
Things go out of spec, ejection pins stick/break, mold cracked, flash, burs, cracks, wrong material, defective suppliers, stupid employees about to get fired, and if not caught early, built and hopefully caught at the final assembly line.....

Why do you feel a Mexican citizen would be unable to address any of those issues?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

What about the maintenance work performed on the robots?

Mexican citizens are able to fix robots.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

how about operators ? theres never gonna be a problem free production line.

Mexican citizens are able to operate machinery.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I only buy JDM at this point. It's all I've owned for the last half decade, and life has been so much better.

Your thinking tends to pan out for many. I remember back when you could buy a Japan made or US made Toyota Camry, many buyers said there were clear differences between what should have been identical vehicles with most saying there were various items in the US made version that appeared to be of lesser or inferior quality to the Japanese produced vehicle, I believe that. The Honda Fit, and also Toyota Yaris are also good examples of where the Japanese made item appears to be of better overall quality in various ways compared to the units made in other countries.

Originally Posted by TTK
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Right, because Toyota is supposed to operate like a non-profit.
smirk2.gif

Companies must satisfy consumer demand in order to remain in business and provide a sufficient risk weighted return on capital.

Right, but when was the last time you saw anyone lowering prices when they went for cheap labor?

Manufacturers normally do not pass the savings on to the consumer.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

how about operators ? theres never gonna be a problem free production line.

Mexican citizens are able to operate machinery.

i think you misunderstood me, what i meant was that experience vs unexperience workers. You know those who have worked with the model for years vs new

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dippschtick
I bought my 4Runner over a Tacoma solely because it was 100% made in Japan.

Give me a 100% made in Japan Tacoma (with the 4Runner drive train) and I'd have one in my garage.

That would be a HiLux.

We use the Hilux and Super Duty Ford's on bad roads overseas … more repairs on the enamored Hilux … lots of brake and driveline issues too. Engines on both are the least of worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back