Toyota Tacoma will be made in Mexico.

Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
15,883
Location
Central NY
Mexican made vehicles always seem to have major quality problems. I have no problem buying something made in Japan, America, China, Canada or even Thailand ( would love a Mitsu Mirage), but I have a hard no on anything made in Mexico.
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
8,324
Location
Atlanta,GA
Right, because Toyota is supposed to operate like a non-profit. smirk2 Companies must satisfy consumer demand in order to remain in business and provide a sufficient risk weighted return on capital.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 28, 2012
Messages
1,730
Location
Ontario, Canada
Customers want cheap prices and are not willing to pay for quality, so they have to go where labour is cheaper.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
1,104
Location
PA,US
Originally Posted by Miller88
Mexican made vehicles always seem to have major quality problems. I have no problem buying something made in Japan, America, China, Canada or even Thailand ( would love a Mitsu Mirage), but I have a hard no on anything made in Mexico.
My Mexican made GTI seems to be holding up just fine. I think its the only Mexican made vehicle I've owned. 40k worth of "spirited" miles and nothings needed attention yet. I think as the Explorer bash thread currently going on proves too... something could be made in the US and not be put together any better.
 
Joined
Nov 12, 2019
Messages
71
Location
NW Arkansas
"I think as the Explorer bash thread currently going on proves too... something could be made in the US and not be put together any better." +1
 
Joined
Dec 31, 2017
Messages
12,011
Location
SE British Columbia, Canada
I'll bet many people are not aware of how many "American" vehicles are already manufactured in Mexico. While there also might be plants in the US, here are some of the vehicles that are also assembled in Mexico and shipped to the US. This was 2017 data so feel free to update it. Ford Fusion Ram Chevy Silverado 4 door trucks Dodge Journey GMC Sierra 4 door trucks I have a 2008 Chev 3/4 ton Suburban that was assembled in Mexico. It has over 200,000 miles. Still runs well. smile
 
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
1,104
Location
PA,US
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'll bet many people are not aware of how many "American" vehicles are already manufactured in Mexico. While there also might be plants in the US, here are some of the vehicles that are also assembled in Mexico and shipped to the US. This was 2017 data so feel free to update it. Ford Fusion Ram Chevy Silverado 4 door trucks Dodge Journey GMC Sierra 4 door trucks I have a 2008 Chev 3/4 ton Suburban that was assembled in Mexico. It has over 200,000 miles. Still runs well. smile
Good info. As I recall the Hemi in my Jeep was built in Mexico as well. I believe all Hemi's are.
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
24,064
Location
...
I'm guessing they use the same robots in Mexico as they did in the US.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Messages
2,758
Location
Pennsylvania
Both of the VW wagons I have owned were made in Mexico. Excellent fit and finish. Never any problems. Both went through the warranty period with no issues. Better than anything made in the US with the UAW!! My Passat was made at the US plant in TN but no UAW involvement there either. No problems...great car.
 
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
1,154
Location
Virginia
Toyota has been making *some* Tacomas in Mexico since 2004. The only difference now is that they'll *all* be made in Mexico. If you have a relatively new double cab Tacoma it was probably made in Mexico.
 
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
18,636
Location
N.H, U.S.A.
My Mexican made Nissan was junk. Blame the management and engineers, not the assembly line workers. Now most of my Made in the USA Fords had horrendous and criminal assembly defects. - Cab not bolted to chassis, - Trans not bolted to engine, - Crossmember not bolted to frame and those were three different trucks bought years apart.. My new Taco bought years ago had the headlight fall out on the drive home. There rear shocks were so stiff that, the rear axle would bounce over a foot side-to-side on expansion joints on the highway. And that's with the tire pressure knocked way down. Definitely the wrong valving on those dampers out back. Dangerous and near criminal. Then the spaghetti wire distributor ignition on the engine would misfire all over the place - even in good weather. Reason no Taco for me. Plus they were "girly-trucks" sized for a Little Mike.
 

JOD

Joined
Sep 10, 2009
Messages
3,577
Location
PNW/WA
Originally Posted by Miller88
Mexican made vehicles always seem to have major quality problems. I have no problem buying something made in Japan, America, China, Canada or even Thailand ( would love a Mitsu Mirage), but I have a hard no on anything made in Mexico.
This is silly.. The auto manufacturers who have issues in Mexico are the same having issues building in the US or Germany.... My GTI and Alltrack were no different in quality than my R (Hecho en Germany). The Fit and HR-V are still some of Honda's most reliable models, and they're made in Mexico. The Fusion has historically been on of Ford's more reliable vehicles. I've spend a ton of time in a Chinese-made Highlander, and it feels identical to the Japanese version--and it's been completely reliable. It comes down to the company, not the country of origin. The robots don't really care where they are located.
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
24,064
Location
...
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My Mexican made Nissan was junk. Blame the management and engineers, not the assembly line workers. Now most of my Made in the USA Fords had horrendous and criminal assembly defects. - Cab not bolted to chassis, - Trans not bolted to engine, - Crossmember not bolted to frame and those were three different trucks bought years apart.. My new Taco bought years ago had the headlight fall out on the drive home. There rear shocks were so stiff that, the rear axle would bounce over a foot side-to-side on expansion joints on the highway. And that's with the tire pressure knocked way down. Definitely the wrong valving on those dampers out back. Dangerous and near criminal. Then the spaghetti wire distributor ignition on the engine would misfire all over the place - even in good weather. Reason no Taco for me. Plus they were "girly-trucks" sized for a Little Mike.
You've had the worst luck when it comes to vehicles.
 
Top