Toyota Tacoma losing resale value

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Used value is a double edged sword. Sure they hold their value, but then again they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

For a few k more, I'd rather buy new. Maybe the used value decline will be on the more realistic side of things.

Dealers will give you bottom dollar on trade. So $36k for a new TRD, 3 years later it's worth "$30k" but dealer gives you 27, retails it for 32k. The numbers don't make sense buying new or used.

I would rather have new for $4k more, and same goes for almost everybody else. At some point there's gonna be too many used tacos on the market which will eventually drive the price down...so buying new now might not be worth it at this time.

Originally Posted by avacado11
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Used value is a double edged sword. Sure they hold their value, but then again they're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

For a few k more, I'd rather buy new. Maybe the used value decline will be on the more realistic side of things.

Dealers will give you bottom dollar on trade. So $36k for a new TRD, 3 years later it's worth "$30k" but dealer gives you 27, retails it for 32k. The numbers don't make sense buying new or used.

I would rather have new for $4k more, and same goes for almost everybody else. At some point there's gonna be too many used tacos on the market which will eventually drive the price down...so buying new now might not be worth it at this time.

Not only that but most are financing. New purchase has that much more of the warranty and better financing terms (and sometimes some free service).

Originally Posted by supton
With GM and Ford getting back into the small(er) truck market, I wonder if the typical buyer is catching on that there is no need to pay the Toyota tax. Plus increasing supply, and finally I wonder if it's in part related to the ease one can get new car financing vs used car loans.

The market doesn't always make sense but it does seem to average out over time.

I had a 2018 Tacoma and was so happy with it I just bought a 2020. To me, never having to deal with Ford or GM again is nearly priceless, so I'm willing to pay more for Toyota. Ford had me hooked for the better part of thirty years and abused the heck out of me, NEVER again!

I'm actually more than a bit upset with myself for not buying a Toyota years ago, I would probably still be driving it. The only reason I bought the 2020 was my better half wasn't happy with the color on the 2018. It was the first time I bought a new truck because I wanted to, not because I felt I needed to,

As far as the Tacoma resale value, My 2018 was priced around 38,000 sticker, I got about 2,500 off that. I drove it about 32,000 miles and it was about to need new tires, other than it was in mint condition. I sold it for 28,750 in late March 2020, during the pandemic. Far better resale value than any American "hupmobile" I ever owned, and I owned thirteen American vehicles before switching to Toyota,

Last edited:
I am on my 4 th Tacoma, I have had all generations of this name. I have 35k on my 2018, it is paid off and will be keeping it. I have not had a single mechanical issue with any of them. I did have some body damage from having fun!
Now I am having a warranty item addressed. I noticed some hood vibration occurring at high speed (i am often cruising at 80+ for hundreds of miles) and found that the sheet metal was separated from the substructure. Warranty folks were golden, they ordered a new hood and it is sitting in the body shop this weekend while I have run about 550 mules on a 2019 Tacoma from their rental fleet gratis with warranty.
Didn't expect so much but have been very happy. It's about time for some new tires though, I had beat these up on oilfield roads and after driving the same truck on newer tires I noticed a difference.

Fun thread.

Back