Toyota studied million-mile Tundra while developing new model

Our trusty 2001 only has about 210K. It's perfect. Except it sucks the gas...
1658508564745.jpg

Probably not far off. While the guy made the dealer rich with 117 visits, he didn’t make Toyota rich by not buying a new one. Toyota lost out on about 4-5 sales (200-250k mileage disposal average) AND gave the guy another truck for no cost.
But you have to admit: vast majority of cars aren't going past 400k. If they shave a part a bit and save a few cents, control costs and wind up with a vehicle that will still outlast the needs & wants of the majority of the buyers... isn't that a win for everyone?

But you have to admit: vast majority of cars aren't going past 400k. If they shave a part a bit and save a few cents, control costs and wind up with a vehicle that will still outlast the needs & wants of the majority of the buyers... isn't that a win for everyone?
It’s not a win for the buyer. The perfect world buyer wants a vehicle that will go forever and require basic maintenance. Trading only when bored with the vehicle. I get what you’re saying, but I’m also “thinking like an American consumer “.

They bought it for use in the fall advertising campaign focusing on Toyota longevity. Gotta keep Jan busy.

Toyota sales are based on REPUTATION and so is its resale value, why would they do anything to undermine that!
It doesn't matter how many miles the average guy drives, what matters is that the 2nd buyer knows that he'll be good for xxx more trouble free miles.

I am always on the lookout for a rolled or smashed donor first gen Tundra/Sequoia with the 4.7 V8 4x4 that has say around 100k for a drive train conversion on one of my Tacomas

The new model has too many problems. They lost their edge on reliability. I wonder if the new land cruisers have the same problems.

Back