Toyota Red Compatible with Toyota Pink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, yes. I have searched both BITOG and the web and haven't found anything which says that Red can be mixed safely with Pink in 2004 and newer vehicles. The Pink is backwards compatible with the Red in 2003 and older.

I'm asking because I recently drained the res in my 2004 Tacoma and filled it with full strength Red. I haven't driven the truck yet as I thought about the potential for "issues" if the two mix. I would hate to have some type of additive clash! I'm hoping that worst case is I would have to drain the pink sooner than 100k (which I planned anyway).

No, not compatible. Red is a conventional coolant. Pink is a hybrid OAT coolant. Different chemistries. I'd pour out the red and refill it with distilled water.

I would assume by backwardly compatible that you mean you can drain, flush, and refill with pink--not that you can mix.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Since I haven't driven the truck, I'm going to just pour thered back in the jug and rinse out the res. I'll take my other ride to the dealer and grab some pink. I bought and extra gallon of red so hopefully they will just swap out 2 for one since pink is cheaper than red.

From what I thought I read, you could use pink in 2003 or older cars and mix it, as in a top off use. I guess I was mistaken, as completely flushing and then re-filling makes more sense.

Thanks again.

Well, went to Toyota today and got some Pink. Man is it all a rip off. Concentrated Red is now approx $22 a gallon. That's $11 a gallon when diluted to a 50/50 mix. The pre-mixed 50/50 Pink is $18 a gallon! What a stealership!

A while back, it was posted on this forum that Pink is just diluted red sold by the stealership. That way, Toyota can control the quality of the water used to dilute it.

Whats the real story?

The two are definitely NOT the same fluid. I now have left over of both types and the Pink is not a 50/50 mix of red and water. The Pink is BRIGHT pink and almost looks like the juice from canned beets (I had some last night and made that comment to my wife. She wasn't amused.). Unless the red is diluted to a 10/90 coolant/water mix, it's different stuff.

As a side note, I may just have the Red in my 03 flushed and replaced with Pink the next go around so I don't have to keep 2 kinds of coolant around.

If you're interested, I'll post pictures of the two at a later date.

Here's photos:

Pink - straight from bottle

100_2221.jpg

Red - diluted 50/50

100_2219.jpg

The Toyota Long Life Red is a lot like Dexcool but the Ultra Long Life Toyota Pink is vary different. It is missing at least one of the main ingredients found in Dexcool. The Red comes in concentrate form but the Pink is prediluted. Toyota claims that Dexcool and Toyota Red should not be used any place that coolant pass's through plastic. Toyota also use's more aluminum then GM and keeps their system free from air pockets so their chemistry reflects that!

My truck came with the Red from the factory. Owner's manual states to change every 2 years. I think this is Toyota's version of a conventional coolant with phosphates instead of silicates.

The "Long Life" (red) is a 30,000 coolant, just like most out there. The "Super Long Life" is a 100,000 mile coolant (or about 7 years). I may just flush my red and switch to pink for both vehicles so I don't have 2 different types laying around.

Make me wonder what toyota uses at the dealer? Since i got my system flushed last summer they didnt add any to the resivior so i added some long life to that.

Look for Peak Global Coolant, it is an all makes / all models coolant. I have seen it in Pepboys 100% mix or at Walmart 50/50% mix.

Quote:

a nissan dealer told me they use nissan oe in "new" cars and cheap green stuff in everything else

Sure he is an absolute id*ot, I monkeyed with Prestone, then Peak Global and my raditor shot.

Go buddy go with the stealership's golden words .. and give work for the stealerships.

Quote:

No, not compatible. Red is a conventional coolant. Pink is a hybrid OAT coolant. Different chemistries. I'd pour out the red and refill it with distilled water.

I thought Toyota Long Life Red is an Hybrid OAT?

from the back of my jug of red:

"[Red] is a new generation Ethylene Glycol base premium antifreeze/coolant... Does not contain silicates... Does not contain borates..."

i drained my tacoma's radiator and filled it back up with the prestone "any color, any vehicle" green coolant.. i thought about it and i asked myself is it cool to mix the yota red (that came in the truck 2002 v6 4x4) so i called the dealership. they are pretty good guys and have trusted them in the past and they havent let me down yet.. the man told me it was fine that they mix them all the time esp in models before 2004.. he said if it were his truck he wouldnt worry about it and that he never sees any issues with mixing the "any vehicle, any color" coolant mix with toyota red.. granted for my own paranoia i may drain the radiator again and fill it back up with the red and dillute it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back