Toyota Recalls Highlanders

Highlanders are not the only vehicles whose bumpers can fall off after a minor collision. This cuts across all makes and models of vehicles and has been going on for at least 10 years. The way that these newer bumpers are attached to the vehicles (with tabs molded into the bumpers and attached to the vehicle with plastic push pins) make it almost a given that the bumper is going to come off when it is hit.

Highlanders are not the only vehicles whose bumpers can fall off after a minor collision. This cuts across all makes and models of vehicles and has been going on for at least 10 years. The way that these newer bumpers are attached to the vehicles (with tabs molded into the bumpers and attached to the vehicle with plastic push pins) make it almost a given that the bumper is going to come off when it is hit.
WHAT??? --- have to pass Safety Standards. Your not talking about street signs?????

Bumper covers add almost nothing to the crash worthiness of vehicles.
I can tell your an engineer? Where did you go to school at??? Kia/Hyundai College?
Have you ever actually seen and handled a modern bumper cover off of a vehicle? They are a light-weight cardboard-thin fragile piece of molded plastic. The box they are shipped in weighs more than the bumper cover itself. They have no structural integrity at all and they do nothing in a crash. It is the metal bar BEHIND the bumper cover that gives the front-end of a vehicle crash worthiness.

Have you ever actually seen and handled a modern bumper cover off of a vehicle? They are a light-weight cardboard-thin fragile piece of molded plastic. The box they are shipped in weighs more than the bumper cover itself. They have no structural integrity at all and they do nothing in a crash. It is the metal bar BEHIND the bumper cover that gives the front-end of a vehicle crash worthiness.
The last good bumper I had on a car or truck was on my 1986 LeSabre.
That's when the STEEL bumpers had cylinders backing them up and they gave a bit. I still recall rear ending another car pretty hard and the corner of the bumper folding down. I drove it to work, hung the front of the car up a couple feet from a hoist, and jumped up and down on the hood to straighten out the bumper. LMAO

Today's bumpers are only crush zones. They don't do ANYTHING to protect the car at all.

Yes and quality is lacking for a longggg time now. I can sit on any of my cars/truck front & rear bumpers right now & being 6ft 4in & 240 lbs --- there not falling off. Lets exaggerate some ---- please?????

That's when the STEEL bumpers had cylinders backing them up and they gave a bit.
That was to meet the 1973 federal 5 mph no damage law. BITD nobody liked it.
Today's bumpers are only crush zones. They don't do ANYTHING to protect the car at all.
Crush zones protect the passengers at the expense of the car, as designed.

Plastic bumper covers are for styling, aerodynamics, and ease of production.

That was to meet the 1973 federal 5 mph no damage law. BITD nobody liked it.

Crush zones protect the passengers at the expense of the car, as designed.

Plastic bumper covers are for styling, aerodynamics, and ease of production
That's your opinion. I obviously like those bumpers LOL. And for the many people who didn't have THOUSANDS of dollars damage due to a small accident, those people liked them too.

As for the bumpers protecting the passengers at the expense of the car, that's just another way to say they don't do ANYTHING to protect the car. Bumpers protect one or the other, not both.

However I think they can have steel bumpers that protect the car, and build crush zones behind the bumper to protect the passengers in a bad crash.

Last edited:
The Sienna I had, I was worried about much more important staff falling off than bumpers. You lean on the car and body just shrinks in.
Knowing how “willing” Toyota is to do recalls, this has to be actual issue that they just couldn’t get away with.

All those plastic bumper covers do is make it easier to total the car after a wreck.
Funny how cars are now bent and wrecked so easy, you know for safety etc, they all cost more than a house used to.
All these flimsy vehicles have helped to do is raise the cost of parts and insurance and replacement.

Back