Toyota Recall - Largest Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '06 Saab 93 won't allow you to remove the key from the ignition (locking the steering) if it's still moving...but it will allow you to shut the engine off while it's still moving.

The steering on the Saab 93 is unlocked whenever the key is in the ignition.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
My '06 Saab 93 won't allow you to remove the key from the ignition (locking the steering) if it's still moving...but it will allow you to shut the engine off while it's still moving.

The steering on the Saab 93 is unlocked whenever the key is in the ignition.

This must be a recent safetey feature, as my current car does the same thing, but on older cars you could remove the key while that car was in D.

On my previous car, a 95 Accord 5spd, you had to push the key in and then turn in order to remove it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
True, we're talking about a lexus here. Anyone own one that can shed some light? Can you shift it into neutral, will it allow you to at highway speeds?

I don't like the button at all. Gimmicky at best.

-Eric

Shifting to neutral is a safety feature for cases like this. My guess is that the acceleration either happened too quickly, or the driver panicked, or both.

This is unfortunate. And hopefully a lesson for the carmakers to always have hooks for the floor mats.

Originally Posted By: webfors
manual trannies for the world!!! :)

I wouldn't drive anything but a manual. I like complete control of a vehicle that carries my clan... that's simply my preference. It limits my purchase options, but that's fine with me. We had a 5spd CRV for our previous family car which was a great car. The new ones didn't come in manual so we switched to a Forester 5spd.

I agree, I would still be driving one right now if it wasn't due to an ankle injury. Braking was nonexistant, rev-matched shifting, it was great to have. I don't care what anyone says, but in the winter, driving a stick felt a lot easier, I would throw it into a gear with just enough revs to prevent slippage and go about my way.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
From the article: "Hill did not know if Saylor tried to shift the vehicle into neutral or turn it off – actions safety experts say may have been impossible if the car was experiencing a malfunction. The shut-off button on the car must be held for three seconds to turn the car off, experts said."

Who knows if its true that you can't shift a Lexus into Neutral (is the shift also computer controlled, now?) or if they couldn't turn it off, but I want nothing to do with such a vehicle. I'll stick with my good old fashioned key, clutch, and shift lever connected directly to the transmission. And failing that direct mechanical interaction, I'll shift the transfer case into neutral.

I would think that shifting into at least park and neutral would still be done a direct connection. As it would be a really bad setup not to be able to get into neutral or park if the battery dies. I mean think about it what if you had a dead battery and the way the vehicle is parked it is impossible to jump it or get to the battery. What are you suppose to do call a tow truck to come pull you out.

You can hold the start/stop button for 3 seconds and it will shut the car off. Plus it is very simple to move the console shifter to Neutral. This operator no doubt panicked. Too bad for all involved. Now with the ensuing product liability lawsuits we will have "automatic floor mats" with a warning buzzer and 16 floor mat sensors to warn you if your floor mat is moving. The mat on this vehicle is cut out around the gas pedal and once hooked on the 2 hooks sits flat on the floor. You have to actually pick up the mat and bend it in the middle to get the mat out for cleaning. I doubt they had the mats hooked correctly. They absolutely do not move around on our Lexus. It is impossible once hooked for them to slide forward.

Or we will have a sealed in "lifetime" floor mat that is screwed into the carpet and "dealer only" removal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Quote:" NHTSA investigators determined that a rubber all-weather floor mat found in the wreckage was slightly longer than the mat that belonged in the vehicle, something that could have snared or covered the accelerator pedal."

The rubber all-weather floor mat is sold by autoanything.com and other online retailers, and it can be bought at dealers too. Avoid these rubber all-weather floor mats, it looks bad and too dangerous.

There you have it.....he failed to use "Genuine Lexus floor mats"
31.gif

I'll reserve my comments about the stereotypical Lexus driver.

I bet they wished they'd bought a GM as they went over the embankment...

The GM would have stalled dur to the piston slapper engine and never made it to 120mph....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1

The GM would have stalled dur to the piston slapper engine and never made it to 120mph....
lol.gif

My old piston slapper powered past many an import during the 194K miles I owned it, and continues to power on well into the 200's with its new owner today. Accelerator cable works beautifully and floor mats stay in place, too.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
My Fit didn't even come with mats so I'm using some cheap non-grippy mats in it right now. I know I should get something better or get the factory mats with the hooks. Just too cheap. Either way, it would already have to have gone off a cliff to hit 120 mph.

Our Odyssey came with the carpet mats and are buckled down. But I have a set of those stupid Michelin mats from Wal-Mart on top of them.

The OEM Honda ones have clips, problem is that you must install the clips onto the carpet by making CAREFUL incisions on the scoremarks and recesses Honda "conveniently" provides.

Another thing that can be done during an out-of-control situation is to risk engine or tranny damage by tossing the shifter into any of the gears lower than overdrive. Either the ATF turns into coke or the clutch packs are toast or the engine will implode - or bounce off the rev limiter and die.

Last edited:
Yes, the Fit and other Honda vehicles come with clips. But, as I was saying, you actually snap the Odyssey's onto little metal snaps on the floorboard.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
My Mazda3 has A hook AND velcro, it does not move. Go Mazda!
happy2.gif

Indeed. Some will cost-cut even safety to widen their profit margins (Toyota brakes come to mind also), some won't. It's totally an ethical issue.

lol.gif

My old piston slapper powered past many an import during the 194K miles I owned it, and continues to power on well into the 200's with its new owner today. Accelerator cable works beautifully and floor mats stay in place, too.
10.gif

You are SO right...see how people are running to GM lots in droves to get the new GMPS engines.....LOL...even C4C can't get them off the lots.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

This is unfortunate. And hopefully a lesson for the carmakers to always have hooks for the floor mats.

This is Darwin thinning out the idiots who don't use the factory floor mats and HOOKS that come STANDARD on the Lexus ES350.

You are SO right...see how people are running to GM lots in droves to get the new GMPS engines.....LOL...even C4C can't get them off the lots.
lol.gif

happy2.gif

lol.gif

My Ecotec-powered Saab 93 made it to 135MPH. It didn't stall. It didn't roll over. It was, in fact, quite composed at those speeds.

Every car I've owned for the last 5 years or so has had the little hook at the back of the mat.

And EVERY TIME these cars have been to a carwash, the workers FAILED to use the hook when they replaced the mats after vacuuming under them. It really became second nature for me to re-install the mats correctly.

But most people never do this. Take a look at various cars you come in contact with. You'll see that of the cars with the little hooks, very few are actually used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back